Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percussion caps #10 and #11

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I order 30 flints, for around $49 bucks yesterday. I figure on a hundred shots per, so that's 3000 shots for a lot less than a cap gun firing the same amount, by quite a bit. Yes, I'm cheap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I order 30 flints, for around $49 bucks yesterday. I figure on a hundred shots per, so that's 3000 shots for a lot less than a cap gun firing the same amount, by quite a bit. Yes, I'm cheap.
    That ain't cheap, it's smart!!!

Ric, That's the next thing I have to do!

Boolit Bub
    I was at Sportsman's Warehouse (BassPro) over the weekend and they had both Remington and RWS caps on the shelves. Remington is $5.79 a tin, I don't recall what RWS was priced at but less than $6.00. Anyway looks like caps are coming back.

Cap Maker is discontinued , Battis

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any good options for cap composition? I would think that the cup would be the easier thing

In Remembrance

Trouble I found with my "Tap-O-Cap" was the paper caps were too sensative and would often detonate while just putting them in the formed cap. I didn`t want the caps going off while I was capping my side hammers. I sold it to another guy that did have what I feared happen, a cap went off while capping his side hammer CVA. No injuries except shock about what happened and a few nicks and bruises from the gun recoiling. He threw it in a pile of scrap metal for the scrap yard rather that let someone else get it.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I found some #11 at 3rd generation shooters a few weeks ago.

Boolit Master
    Im stocked pretty good but caps are hard to find here. When I have found them there was a 2 tin limit

Boolit Master
    Haven't been able to find any #11 caps at any LGS for over two months. Just picked up a .50 caliber caplock ML and I'm going nuts cause I can't shoot it. The only ones I've found on line are limited to three tins per order and have a 27.50 hazmat fee, sorry that's too much for me. Thinking about turning a nipple that will take berdan primers, have two bricks of them, just to shoot it a few times.

Boolit Master

As for Ricks comment on flints, Joe showed me how to make them this Summer, I just have to find a rock and spend some time. I'm really cheap.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Gander Mountain has a good stock of #11s here, but at $6.79 a tin. At that price, I'll just keep the ML's oiled and stored and shoot my centerfires with the 3 cent primers.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Haven't been able to find any #11 caps at any LGS for over two months. Just picked up a .50 caliber caplock ML and I'm going nuts cause I can't shoot it. The only ones I've found on line are limited to three tins per order and have a 27.50 hazmat fee, sorry that's too much for me. Thinking about turning a nipple that will take berdan primers, have two bricks of them, just to shoot it a few times.
    There is a place that sells a replacement nipple for using 209 shotgun primers.

In Remembrance
    7.99 has been the going price here pretty well since they came back AFTER Obummer was elected. We went around 6 months without them in 08. Sportsmans has them pretty regular now without a limit, but usualiy only puts 5 tins on the shelf at a time. That is for 11's, I haven't seen any 10's in a coons age.

Boolit Buddy
    Whatever you do, avoid the CCI RE-ENACTOR Musket Caps. They are "weak as water." A friend of mine made the mistake of buying a tin of them. He shoots a replica 1861 Springfield and about a third of the time with the new CCI Re-enactor musket caps, he got a misfire!!!

He has quit using all CCI products now, including their .22 RF ammo. He doesn't trust their quality any more.

CCI should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such junk.