RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "J" fouling and PP boolits

Does Hoppes No9 contain ammonia?

I lube my jacketed bullets by dipping the chamfer base into molten waxy-lube. The idea was to coat the interior of the suppressor for rust protection but I found it kept the bore free from copper fouling. I suppose that would be the same as using a grease cookie.

I like the idea of protecting the bore with alox. What exactly is alox?

My latest rusty bore got cleaned out with dish washing liquid soaked overnight. I wonder whether that would clean other contaminants in the bore? It also removes protective oils but doesn't cause rust in itself - in fact it prevents rust while present. But rusting will begin once it is removed if the bore is not properly protected. I clean it out with a wet patch followed by dry then Hoppes No9. Seems to be OK.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggway View Post
    Be carful on leaving some of those foaming bore cleaners in over nite.
    My ruger #1 in 405 has a bore of .4055, and a groove of .412. If that helps any.
    Thanks for the .405 Ruger #1 specs. Mine duplicates yours and that is good to know that they are holding good tolerances.
    The subject has drifted considerably from the original post; however I for one have no problems with this as long as it is firearms related and educational!
    Last edited by LynC2; 06-05-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarification
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Whats the score on bore tech eliminator? I bought some to try. I think its the stuff the benchresters use now with no amonia in it.

I scubbed a bore squeeeky clean with it buut put a couple of wet patches or reds red then a wipe of alox to store it till I shoot it again.

I never much clean my bores too good as I think why clean it back to bare metal then just foul it up again to shoot it.
    Trouble is I have to use jacketed through this one but am worried I will have no gunk film to protect the bare metal from the copper.

Sorry for the high jack but I though it is sort of re-lated.
    Barra
    The Bore Tech Eliminator doesn't have any ammonia in it either. But it does really attack copper, especially your rod jag! You only want to use it with aluminum jags and plastic aluminum cored brushes with it. I haven't used it enough to really endorse it, but one of the DOE guys gave me a jug of it to try so I have been cleaning guns with it in the shop. It does seem to do a passable job for a quick and dirty cleaning.

303 Guy - no ammonia in Hoppes either. Your idea of using the dishwashing liquid is interesting. It is pretty basic, so as you have found should really pull oil out of the metal.

Lyn - glad to hear it's still OK even though we're pretty far off topic!

-Nobade

My Hoppes smells a little like ammonia! I'm not sure that it is ammonia I am smelling but it is strong. I wonder if someone added Sweets to it? That could explain a rusted bore which was supposedly protected with Hoppes! I'll get some new stuff and toss this bottle out.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    The bullet lube alox 303 guy.
    Simple sustitue for the cosmoline they used to store guns with.
    Think its what they use to rust proof cars with or simular.
    Thanks Noabe I was wondering why I kept getting green with my new brass jag and bronze brush.
    Lol.
    I try not to get too fanatic and anal as I only got 'ol better guns really and long as they can still hit the sweet spot out where I want constantly then they are fine by me.
    Plus the less I reform the rifling with the rod the better they will shoot.
    Cheers.

Geargnasher should be around here somewhere - he can tell you all about Alox and other lubricants. Haven't seen him here for a while.

-Nobade