MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out/Get Home/Emergency Needs Bag, need opinions on an update to my current setup

Bug Out/Get Home/Emergency Needs Bag, need opinions on an update to my current setup

Since I started working, actualy since my third yr of college I've always carried a small ruck in my car with a change of clothes, socks, shoes, and an extra pocketknife. It is about time to rotate out the clothes, and im thinking it is time for an update. I keep the bag in case something (like an exploding inkpen or a clumsy co worker in the lunchroom) happens to my clothing or if we are required to spend a few days at work in an emergency situation. I would like to add some non temp sensitive toiletries and more ammo for my daily carry, what other things would yall suggest?
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Master
    Small hatchet, fire making goodies, small tarp for shelter,
    and a flask of your favorite antifreeze

Boolit Buddy
    Flashlight & extra batteries, preferably one that takes the lithium 3v batteries & uses super led rather than bulb. The lithium batteries won't be affected by cold, and with the LED they run a long time. I have a browning one that I picked up in Morgan UT at the browning outlet that is 5 watt. It is brighter than a 3 D cell mag light, much more compact and the batteries as mentioned, don't care about the temp.

Boolit Master
    A small first aide kit is always good. Don't buy one, just put one together. As a nurse I can tell you the majority of things in the prepackaged first aide kits aren't all that helpful when something does happen. Most important things to keep in mind are that you will need to clean the injury, stabilize the injury for transport, and cover the injury while in transport. A pair of gloves, Betadine wipes, guaze, tape, butterfly bandages, a few finger bandages, and 2 velcro ended ace wraps can save you a world of trouble from my experiences. And for some reason most commercial kits come with a bunch of stuff that will just. The kit I have in my tackle bag, boat, and glove box all include these and fit in a sandwich ziplock.

Boolit Buddy
    scalple, suture kit, 550 parachute cord, bennadryl, couple valium, packs of spam, snickers and peanut m&Ms

forgot- caffenne (even pills/powder), water purification tablets if your in the east/bottled water out west. I also have baby wipes, what's better are these huge ones they make for umm... Women (think paper towel sized baby wipe) knife

I buy a lowes christmas time booked sized tool kit too for all my vehicles. 9.99

I always have some strong pain pills but make sure you have a script nowdays
    Last edited by chrisw; 01-07-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I would put food and water in the truck bag. Get a altoid can prep kit and carry that with you for fire making, blade and minimal 1st aid. Carry some good pain meds, no doze, vitamins and water purifing pills. BOB has a rain suit or space blanket.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    Duck tape a million and one uses.
    Visit SnydersJerky.com and use code "boolit" for 10% off!

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sanitary napkins. You have to buy them for the women occasionally, may as well have some good compresses in your gear. Ask at the store which ones are most absorbent!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

paracord, duct tape, a 3" drop point folder,bandaids, a pair of leather gloves, and some vaseline.

Boolit Master

Don't forget the Leatherman type multi-tool. And maybe a swiss army knife, instead of the one you are carrying now. Get the one that has a phillips screwdriver blade and not that stupid corkscrew! And a space blanket.
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Fire making tools [ I personally favor flint and steel, and butane is THE tinder of choice ]
    make some rolled newsprint (~2" long, 3/4" diam, tie with string) soaked in melted parafin fire starters.

First aid - +1 on bored1's comments, but find and add an adult and child sized plastic airway, major big deal with an unconcious person can be keeping airway open - these
    are small, cheap and hard to fake. Add a pack of quick clotting granules, too. Bleeding
    you cannot stop and lack of air will kill in minutes, all else is stabilize and transport.

+1 on tarp, water and some kind of storable food. Look for shelf stable, no or near
    no prep, concentrated energy. Hard candy and oatmeal breakfast bars are both good
    for keeping you going for short periods like a few days.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 01-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep a corkscrew in the car too- probably the most used piece in my bag!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Plus one on the food. I always kept some stashed in my desk at work just in case, usually some microwaveable meals that don't need refrigeration a couple of cans of Chef Boyardee pasta, some Rapid Mac nukeable Mac and Cheese,Tang makes water taste better. Why you ask?

My brother got snowed in at work for three days, they ended up breaking into the vending machines.
    I was "trapped" by an unruly strike mob overnight once.
    Several times work problems prevented getting meals.

Have extra because if it happens you will be the most popular guy in the office.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Sanitary napkins. You have to buy them for the women occasionally, may as well have some good compresses in your gear. Ask at the store which ones are most absorbent!
    I'll go +1 on this and add a couple of them round things with the strings. You can stuff one in a puncture/bullet wound to clot the bleeding. Superglue/new skin for deeper cuts a bandaid just won't do. Another you can pick up at a pet supply store like quick clot but for dogs when their nails are cut short. I've used it before, good stuff.

For your cell, pick up a B&D voltage inverter, about $25.00 at your local builders store, it peaks at 100W and will run off your Cig lighter or accesory outlet. Perfect for keeping the phone/GPS charged off either USB or plug. I have a Brunton solor cell charger, $35.00? from Flea Bay that will charge my Rugby Smart twice with it's on board battery before solar is needed. Complete charge time about two hours. I also DLed the Army Survival Guide to my families phones in the chance (Heaven Forbid) something happens to them and my brainpan is somewhere else.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Lots of good suggestions here and I am going to make a couple of more and try to improve on one or two. Instead of a tarp, spend a few bucks and buy a US army poncho and poncho liner. They are more compact than a tarp, and more versatile. They also eliminate the need for a space blanket. I lived for several weeks in the mtns with temperatures in the mid 20's with nothing more than the clothes on my back and a poncho and poncho liner for shelter and warmth. Also you can not beat a couple of MRE's in your pack. 2 MRE's can sustain a healthy individual for more than a week if they are eaten piece meal.

Water is always an issue. I toss a couple bottles of water, and a 1qt canteen that is empty, with a steel canteen cup, cover and water purification pills in my ruck. The bottles will get me by for a day or so, until I can find a water source, in an emergency situation save your plastic water bottles, in a pinch they can be filled with clear water and placed in the direct sunlight for 8 hours and the UV rays will kill all water born pathogens.

Fire is also very important, but depending on the situation maybe not that important, and could actually lead to your death. In a disaster situation if you are healthy and trying to get home, a fire at night and sometimes in the day is a big invitation for unwanted guests. Especially at night, because it can be seen for greater distances, and we as humans have this strange attraction to fire. If we see a camp fire we are naturally drawn to it, if it is our fire we love to stare at it. Facing your fire at night is a good way to end up dead in a large scale emergency situation, because it kills your ability to see any approaching danger in the dark. The military does not build camp fires for a reason.

A firearm is a must, along with a couple of .015 guitar strings. Depending on how many days and what kind of situation you are in will determine the firearm. For me a rifle is almost a must. A good lever gun in a pistol cal is hard to beat for my situation, as I live and travel in a rural area. City dwellers may want a handgun. The guitar strings have multiple uses, everything from snares to trip wires, anything your mind can imagine. Also don't forget ammo for the gun.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    I keep one in my truck that is just enough to get me home:
    Food & water: small container of peanut butter, crackers, couple of small cans of bean&weenies, Kippersnacks, power bars, 4 bottles of water, water filter (homemade), bleach, empty aluminum water bottle
    [B]Shelter: Tarp, paracord, poncho, space blanket
    Fire: Matches, lighter, candles, tinder material, magnesium fire starter
    First aid kit (small trauma kit plus a few extra feminine pads)
    Tools: Knife, multitool, flashlight (w/ extra batteries), picture wire, duct & electrical tape), notepad & pencil, compass

Bag of Doritos! Eat it if hungry, and they make excellent tinder.

Boolit Master
    Toothbrush and toothpaste, asprin, hay twine is much better than paracord.
    Compass and a Glock.

Boolit Buddy
    Couple cans of sardines. Small but packed with protein and juice. Smell bad but worth it. Needs no prep and can be eaten with your fingers--of course you will have to lick them clean---LOL. PS, your wife will never believe you were stranded alone.

Well, i guess i shouldve mentioned what lives in every vehicle we own,
    Maglight, 5D.
    Ka-bar.
    Tarp.
    First aid kit.
    2 rolls toilet paper.
    1bx midol (mans best friend)
    Rope, 2,000 lb test w tow hooks.
    Box o clif bars.

Currently I keep a 223 rifle in there for coyotes in the cattle, and 75 rds of ammo+ my old taurus .357 mag w 3 speed loaders..

Items i may add To car.
    Machete.
    Small blowtorch.
    Hank of paracord.
    Couple of mres.
    I carry a leatherman and a sog flash II on me at all times, and my edc loop with a small compass, lockpicks, breacher bar, grapple, and mini screwdriver. Also a gerber artifact and minimaglight on my keychain.

Realy these never crossed my mind when i made my original post.
    Stuff to add to the bag.
    Smaller first aid kit.
    Firestarter.
    Poncho.
    Hank of paracord.
    Non meltable toiletries. (otherwise the MS heat will cause problems)
    Snare wire
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.