Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 107 of 130 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    here are a couple 458 socom loads
    the lee 500 gr load penetrated 24" of hard packed sand then 8" telephone pole backstop and was recovered a few feet further on the ground Approx 950 FPS 50 yrds
    Hard to believe a 500 gr lead bullet at 1000 fps will go through 24" of sand and 8" of wood. I was hoping 12" of sand would be enough to stop 200 gr .30's at 2500 fps - guess I need to rethink that!!

Thanks for posting

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=dverna;2718453]Hard to believe a 500 gr lead bullet at 1000 fps will go through 24" of sand and 8" of wood. I was hoping 12" of sand would be enough to stop 200 gr .30's at 2500 fps - guess I need to rethink that!!

Thanks for posting

Are you shooting powder coated 30 cal boolits to 2500 fps?

Boolit Grand Master
    Bullshop,

I have a 311365 NOE and 311334 Lyman mold and my goal is to achieve 2400-2500 fps for long range work. I have been following the coating threads but have concluded that I have a better chance of success with White Label 2500 or CR. So those are the lubes I will start with. Frankly, I think it will be a tough challenge and coated bullets are too new to have demonstrated much success at those velocities (with accuracy). Lubed bullets are not easy but may be easier.

My comment on the sand trap was more out of frustration. I certainly do not want to have a 24" deep trap - even a 12" deep trap is not exactly easy to deal with. And I was sure 12" of sand was going to be enough - now I am wondering.

Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

dverna
    I can tell you I have 308 150 Gr Hollowpoints (mil hec 312-159 HP) 98/2 Alloy going less than 2000 FPS and going thru 12" of hard pack sand at 50 yds ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Bullshop,

I have a 311365 NOE and 311334 Lyman mold and my goal is to achieve 2400-2500 fps for long range work. I have been following the coating threads but have concluded that I have a better chance of success with White Label 2500 or CR. So those are the lubes I will start with. Frankly, I think it will be a tough challenge and coated bullets are too new to have demonstrated much success at those velocities (with accuracy). Lubed bullets are not easy but may be easier.

My comment on the sand trap was more out of frustration. I certainly do not want to have a 24" deep trap - even a 12" deep trap is not exactly easy to deal with. And I was sure 12" of sand was going to be enough - now I am wondering.

Don Verna
    Thank you for that. I have only begun to take notice of the coating trend but have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you.

Boolit Master

Alrighty.... getting geared up on my end....

The chrome is the base coat for the candy red and candy blue.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Those are gonna be nice!!!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

SIL said he got me a sample of these today.
    Attachment 102152
    Traded a vacuum cleaner for an almost new Skil miter saw, 7". Any good for cutting 223 for 300BO? Metal cutting blade of course.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I did some experimenting today. An I even lurnd sumthin.
    I was ESPC. I had 3 trays with 3 different surfaces. 1 had nails up through a board. It proved extremely successfully with the HP bullets. Nothing unexpected here.
    The second tray was metal on half of it were washers that were welded with JB Weld. I put NSTF over the washers. That was a PITA to load the tray. Each one had to have just the GC sized so they would fit into the hole in the washer. It worked but was very time consuming. On the second half of the tray I had Nuts that had holes just larger than the 30 cal bullets. Bullets placed nose down into nuts. There was no sizing so it was much faster loading that half of the tray. There was very little migration of the powder between the nut and the bullet. There was no tipping of the bullets as I moved them from the spraying area to the oven. Over all I think the loose nuts on NSTF was the second best type of baking tray.
    The tray I liked the best was just a piece of wood drilled with holes just smaller than the full dia. of the bullets. Put a sheet of NSTF on the top of the wood tray. Slide your hand over the TF to indicate where the holes are. Take the bullet push the nose through the TF into the hole. I found that it was best to push the bullet into the foil until there is only an 1/8" between the top of the foil and the top drive band. I had no powder getting below the foil. Over all the drilled board worked the best for me. Kevin

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go with wood for my drilled tray to hold the bases of my GC .357 boolits. I was experimenting with some aluminum today and I couldn't find any thick enough that the drill wouldn't grab the hole and tear it instead of drill it smoothly. I really wish we had scrapyards that would allow the public! I could use some different metals at times.
    But perhaps wood is the way to go. I think Totalloser is using wood and his trays aren't scorching or burning.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

While it's not scrap (or cheap), here are a couple of sources of stock:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

https://www.metalsdepot.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go with wood for my drilled tray to hold the bases of my GC .357 boolits. I was experimenting with some aluminum today and I couldn't find any thick enough that the drill wouldn't grab the hole and tear it instead of drill it smoothly. I really wish we had scrapyards that would allow the public! I could use some different metals at times.
    But perhaps wood is the way to go. I think Totalloser is using wood and his trays aren't scorching or burning.
    I feel for 'ya, guy. And all others that cannot buy scrap! I buy plate, bar, and round bar billets of aircraft grade aluminum all the time. As well as sheet, bar, and square brass. And of course Pb and Sn!

I would be lost without those sources!

banger

Then it is alright to use the metallic type powder?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Then it is alright to use the metallic type powder?
    Why not? You shoot FMJ's, right?

Only problem I have heard of with metallic powders is the danger of fire when coating. The aluminum dust can ignite from the static spark and you end up with a ball of flame! You have the "perfect storm"........finely divided metallic powder........lots of oxygen from your compressor..........and a static spark for ignition. Can't beat that for fireworks!

But they use metallic all the time in industrial/commercial coating facilities from what I have seen and heard.

No personal experience...............but has been reported on here a few places.

banger

Boolit Buddy

Well, I tried to PC some boolits this weekend. Some looked ok afterwards and some looked not so ok. Just got to get it down right and then should be ok. Used HF Red and HF white.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    Well, I tried to PC some boolits this weekend. Some looked ok afterwards and some looked not so ok. Just got to get it down right and then should be ok. Used HF Red and HF white.
    You will read on here (many times) and find out that the white (and yellow) powder pigment does not give 100% coverage over the darker lead. Red is darn near 100% all the time! I only use white to mix with other colors. Black also coats 100% all the time (ESPC only). I just love the look of matte black boolits.

Doing two coats/bakes of white just makes the coating too thick and wastes time and electricity. My rule is: "1 coat/1 bake.....or find another color/method" After looking very closely, I have discovered those "voids" in the white and yellow are actually coated with the clear polyester that the pigments are mixed with. Probably OK. Check your own boolits out and you decide.

banger

Boolit Buddy

I used the red and white together to make pink colored boolits for my daughter to shoot. Otherwise it will just be 1 color.

well, I took the plunge..."easy peasey"....Thanks guys! It's on!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	103102
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StromBusa View Post
    well, I took the plunge..."easy peasey"....Thanks guys! It's on!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	103102
    Welcome to the club!

Shooting just became mor fun......NO LEADING!

banger

I ESPC'd white with no problem, fully coated & totally white, ~1K 40SW. Still shooting them. DT white - not so good.
    Beagle - you might try a tapered reamer with a stop on the Al. I can't drill in any soft wood without splintering the hole. A greenlee punch & hammer may work also. MDF is OK but wears pretty fast.
    Last edited by popper; 04-24-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Whatever!