RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 38 special-best defense boolit?

Boolit Master

Tim: One more musical correction. The band you're thinking of is Aerosmith, not Arrow Smith. But I can understand the mistake, after all, with your musical taste you're wondering if your pickup truck will start when you get out of jail, and if momma got run over by a train, etc. (Country Music)

And back on topic (sort of), my idea of the best 38 defensive load is a 45ACP
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Grand Master

As a matter of fact, My momma's truck broke down on the RR tracks once. Luckily, a friend noticed her little predicament, and helped her push it off the tracks.
    Also, as a matter of fact, Mrs. goodsteels first pistol was a 3.5" 1911. She was darn good with it too, but it was so heavy that she never carried it, so I got her the S&W 36 and did a trigger job on it so she can use it one handed. Sometimes compromises must be made. That being said, I love that little gun! It's amazingly accurate for such a small pistol.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

One of the tried and true was the good 'ole Elmer Keith 358429HP (358359?).... I believe it came out of the mold at the 160g range. But one could also just have a 358311 HP'd and you'd have one heck of an accuracte/efficient boolit. But kind of like the whole 38 v 9mm argument, it kind of depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised at how long this thread has been going.

I refer newcomers back to post #21.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Bill, one on #21 is the same as what I was talking about...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Bub
    Gonna toss in 2 cents, maybe at my peril.

If you have something that shoots big bullets fast and hard (10mm, .41, 44), it really does not make much difference.

If you're shooting something smaller at lower velocities, specifically a .38, alternately loaded HBWC's are the way to go (One reversed, one not, in the cylinder). A reverse loaded hbwc is a rather nasty HP that will get someone's attention and keep it, and the straight loaded HBWC is a bullet that isn't going to let a rounded surface (Cranium) deflect it like a RM or SWC will. A straight wadcutter makes the same hole in a skull as it does in a piece of paper, pretty much regardless of the angle. That's what people tell me, anyway.

Quarter-inch lockwashers in a 12 gauge take all that guesswork away though.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Now that seems like a reasonable idea, but now comes the near impossible task of trying to decide which of the two configurations you should load three of. (five shot remember)
    Maybe in the winter you swap out one of the backward ones for one of the traditional ones.....
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    (double tap).
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    ...but now comes the near impossible task of trying to decide which of the two configurations you should load three of...
    Just use a hard cast DEWC and load it as fast as a 158 SWC.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    The 158gr lead hp FBI load is one of the most proven defense loads in 38 special. This is both 4 inch and 2 inch revolvers. 4 inch velocities run around 915 fps and 2 inch velocities run around 800 fps. These velocities are easily attained with powders like Unique, Accurate #5, 231, HS6.

Boolit Grand Master
    Threads survive because their contributors believe passionately in what they post therein.

My view concerning both the 38 Special and the 357 Magnum is that the single best and most useful bullet weight in either caliber is the 155-160 grainer. I don't carry a 38 Special socially because I'm limited to the 125 grain +P loading, which doesn't do the caliber's best work--though it beats throwing rocks convincingly. For many years, I was similarly required to use the W-W 158 grain JHP in my 357s, which I think very highly of. Just recently I learned that my agency has switched to the 125 grain Federal JHP in 357 Magnum. I wasn't real thrilled about that, but given the 357's power level just about any bullet weight will do the job if placed half-decently. And ball-powder handloads duplicating the Fed 125s REALLY light up adjacent hillsides at dusk. They would likely singe an assailant's eyebrows at 7 yards, too--so be careful shooting paper/cardboard targets up close. It could start a brush fire.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quarter-inch lockwashers in a 12 gauge take all that guesswork away though.
    I like that. I agree with Gear, and single handed shooting. Based on a documentary of an armed lady with a revolver. She pointed in the general direction, emptied it and was reloading as she chased they guy down the street.

Boolit Bub
    The most accurate .38cal boolit I have ever found was the 168 gr Keith swc. if you had to carry cast boolits that would be my choice, superb accuracy and penetration. If you would consider J bullets Gold Dots would be my recommendation.