Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 10mm 200gr powder

Boolit Buddy

10mm 200gr powder

I'd like to make up some range loads, I dont want them too hot, but definitely in 10mm territory, I'm thinking 1100-ish FPS

I have on hand:
    Unique
    Blue Dot
    Longshot
    Autocomp

(Ill be getting some AA#9 soon, but im going to have to wait a few paychecks)

I know I could make anyone of them reach my goal, but is one of these powders decidedly more "lead friendly" than the others?
    Id like them to be as clean as possible.

Boolit Master
    Clean and slow burning tend to not really go hand in hand.. if I were going for clean, Unique qould be the cleanest.. if I were going for overall power and highest velocity, I'd go with Blue Dot and Longshot.

I used Longshot for some of the 9 into 40 cal bullets made with BT-Sniper's swaging tool. My JHP's were in the 193 gr range. I actually got to a point where Longshot was actually running out of steam and adding more powder made velocity drop.. this out of a 6.5" 610 revolver. Mind you I was seating 40 S&W very long so that may have had something to do with it. The 610 cylinder could have handled a longer cartridge and had I had some 10 mm brass, I could have likely loaded hotter rounds.. but that's all I had at the time..

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Blue dot!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had success & accuracy using Herco--Blue Dot--AA-7--AA-9 and its equivalent milsurp WC-820 for 200 grainers in the 10mm (S&W M-1026 and M-1006) at the 1100 FPS level. I imagine Unique would do as well, but I haven't used it.

I don't give a BLEEP whether a powder is "dirty" or "clean", as long as it's accurate and functional. The shooters who obsess about 'how clean the powder shoots' obviously have no experience with The Holy Black and cap & ball revolvers. Their references to Unique being "flaming dirt" always bring me a smile.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I don't get the clean l dirty thing either. Splittin hairs if you ask me. After a few hundred rounds there just isn't much difference.

Banned

i dont like blue dot but for heavy loads with 200s its probably your best choise of the powders you listed

Boolit Master
    What about for lead boolits? Does that change powder preference for driving the heavies hard?

Boolit Grand Master
    Oreo--

For my part, I was speaking of lead/cast boolits above. I use an RCBS 200 grain TC design.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    What about for lead boolits? Does that change powder preference for driving the heavies hard?
    No ,
    Here are the 2- 10MM's I shoot and I use AA7 and Blue Dot in both for top end loads. The top boolit is a accuratemolds 190 gr LFNGC and the bottom is a MM mould-215 gr WFNGC .

Sean
    http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...4-21-12119.jpg

Banned

the two powders i use most in 10mm loading is aa9/wc820 and longshot.

Boolit Bub
    A big plus on LongShot is it meters like a dream.

'da Kid

Boolit Master
    If clean is what you want, and price is not an issue, you may want to look into using Vittavouri... they are not at all cheap, usually running double what American companies charge, but they burn very clean.. If cost is not an issue, then they have a reputation for being very clean.

Boolit Buddy
    LMAO! "Flaming dirt". I use several powders in the 10mm; IMR 800x, SR 4756, AA#5, AA#7, Blue Dot. Unique to name most. There are other possibilities, but 800x and 4756 burn FAIRLY clean and give good velocities. I load 180s but the 200s have data listed. Work up as usual. CB.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

I haven't tried 200gr. yet, but the 180's I've worked up loads for are running 1310fps using Hodgdon LongShot. Hoping to start working with some 200's after the summer heat falls off.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master
    I use lots of Blue Dot in my 10mm. Run em near max for cleaner burning, or perhaps I should say less dirty.

I picked up a bottle of Longshot last night. Swampfox ammo specialized in 10mm and most of his loads were based on Longshot, so I am going to work some loads up.

So far, my favorite for heavy 10mm loads is definitely AA#9, but it is not the most economical option. I have high hopes that Longshot will give me AA#9 performance in Blue Dot economy.

Boolit Buddy
    I am shooting a T/C Contender 10MM Auto 10" bull bbl that I traded with a Member here. I am using Power Pistol with cast and it delivers extraordinary accuracy with less fouling than other propellants I have used prior. It is reasonably inexpensive and meters exactly at the target weight every time. I am with others here in being baffled by the so-called dirty propellants, so what if it takes five more patches, a bit more solvent, or a few more strokes to clean your gun. If you want them clean, just don't shoot them.
    Got-R-Did.