Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: $5 target bullets

Boolit Master

$5 target bullets

My son wants to buy some jacketed 185 grain .45 target bullets, and wants to know the best place to get them. I've looked @ Graf's, Midsouth, and Midway, and if anyone has a better idea, I would sure like to hear it. So far, they cost about .20/per, in bulk, and I doubt if I can find them much cheaper. Does anyone out there have a source?
    I will cast up some 452460's for him to try...

Heading should read '45'...

Last edited by Echo; 04-12-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe see if any of the manufacturers have seconds? I know Sierra used to sell seconds cheap, and I never heard anything bad about them.

Best idea, teach him to cast his own.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Try Powder Valley. I just got 230gn Hornady XTPS for that $.20 per round. I know they are sold out of a lot of .45 Hornady bullets right now. But they sell a lot of other brands.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master

You could try Champion's Choice. They may have the 185 Nosler HP at attractive prices. That is the bullet the U.S. Marines use.
    Don't count out a good cast bullet as being as good as a jacketed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    That is the bullet the U.S. Marines use.
    My sidekick is a Marine Corp armorer. He says they are used on the target range, but use of them in combat gets you at least ten years in Leavenworth.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

"My sidekick is a Marine Corp armorer. He says they are used on the target range, but use of them in combat gets you at least ten years in Leavenworth."

I believe you, but that is sure an ironic fact. It's all right to blow them to small pieces with bombs and grenades. It's alright to fry them with napalm and flame throwers but heaven forbid we use expanding bullets!

This is a perfect example of absolute insanity that Political Correctness gives us!

Dale53

Banned

that goes back before anyone was p/c.
    look for the plated stuff from berries,berrys, [sp?]at the velocities the acp runs they are good as gold.

Boolit Master

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Jim has cast boolits before, but his job doesn't give him the time to do it now, and pays an outrageous amount, so he can afford to buy factory WC's. I will give him some 452460's that I cast, and he can judge for himself. And the Berry's plated bullets are something I had considered - just looking for the best price for whatever.
    And heading should be .45 target bullets.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Montana Gold, 16.1 cents each by the thousand. That's a delivered price. buy the 2,300 piece case and they are 14.5 cents each delivered.

Boolit Bub
    Try ROZE Distribution (Zero Bullets) http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Store_Code=RZD

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My sidekick is a Marine Corp armorer. He says they are used on the target range, but use of them in combat gets you at least ten years in Leavenworth.

I see Dick came up with a reference from JAG on the ruling. Apparently even the guys in the service don't necessarily know what is allowed. I will be giving my buddy **** about this. I love to give him ****!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Pm sent 500 bulk 185 gr jacketed SWC $60 shipped in priority flat rate box.
    Last edited by Tom-ADC; 04-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Man
    Nosler has some available as an overstock item...though still rather pricey.

Nosler factory seconds $15.95 + shipping http://shootersproshop.com/index.php...product_id=133

Berry's $118/1000 shipped http://tjconevera.com/berrys-45-cal-185-.html

Boolit Master
    Ditto on Montana Gold, I love them for several calibers.

TH
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Grand Master

I second Dale's comments!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying