RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wad question & an idea

Boolit Master
    MC
    if you punch poly, they stack up for about 10, then they have to be removed

when I punch paper, and i use erasable bond, folded over to punch 4-6 at a time

you must remove them after 3-4 punches or the seal of the paper on the punch acts

like a piston and shoots the paper punchouts all over the floor.

all you have to do is pay attention. I have 3 of Fred's punches, .38, .40, .45

all have been very servicable, bought them from Fred personally.

Boolit Master

BC, I use newsprint over my primer as well and I thought that it sounded rediculous. But when I tried it my groups were smaller and I went back several times and it deffinately makes a difference in my gun. This BP stuff isn't quite as simple as you thought ehh? I had the same revelation when I got into it.
    Kenny thanks for the tip on the tracing paper, I'll have to give that a try.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    Wills, I'm not sure you're helping the guy.....'course, I'm not advocating either possibility
    For what it is worth, Longhorn, there are two schools of thought on helpful advice, and I am not advocating either of them. One school contends there is only one right way to do anything; the other school says there is the other right way; and the other school says your results will tell you when you have it right; and the other school tells you consider all the options.

My own theory, and I am not advocating it, is if I start something new I try to keep it simple. To draw an analogy, when people learn to play the piano, they start with Chopsticks, not Chopin
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Leave it to a Texican,,,,,, They went thata way,,, batteries not included,,,,your results may vary,,,,,,, past preformance is no indicator of future outcome,,,,,I am not a doctor but I play one on TV,,,,,,I stayed at the Holiday inn,,,,,,,
    Remember the Alamo

It's ok wills I got ya cover'd Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    BC, I use newsprint over my primer as well and I thought that it sounded rediculous. But when I tried it my groups were smaller and I went back several times and it deffinately makes a difference in my gun. This BP stuff isn't quite as simple as you thought ehh? I had the same revelation when I got into it.
    Kenny thanks for the tip on the tracing paper, I'll have to give that a try.

Bob
    Thanks Boz,, thought my chain was gettin pulled a little, and yep I gota lot to learn
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Nope not putting you on, everything everyone is telling you is valid, although some of it may be contradictory. What works in one rifle will not necessarily work in another rifle.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

I understand,, I was just havin a little fun on you,,,no hard fellins

In Remembrance
    Bear Claw,
    Ever since I first saw your 'tag line' about the grizzly, I have been prompted to tell you this story. As this discussion seems to be winding down, now is as good a time as any, I guess.
    I am one who is not slow to pull somebody's leg, but that isn't the case, this time.

My great-great grand daddy was a Cherokee named Lum Nail, and during the years when my grandmother was a young girl, he call Benton County Arkansas his 'home'.
    But, he wasn't around much, because he spent most of those years trapping beaver out West.
    He would come home every couple of years, sell any pelts he had, and spend some time with the family.

'Grampa Lum' had a large black dog that went everywhere with him, and he wasn't a friendly one. There was a doghouse built out behind the house my grandmother lived in, and Lum would put his 'beaver money' in there...and his dog kept it safe.

Lum named this 'companion' after a man he knew...a man he admired and also called a friend. The dog's name was Bridger.

For some reason, I thought you might find that interesting...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Bear Claw

Your boolits went out via priority mail this afternoon. You should have them in hand by Friday I'd imagine. Start simple and worry about flash hole wads later. Get that thing shooting with some of these

And then you will want to try ...

Good Luck

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CM,

Makes me wonder if he knew Jim Bridger, of Bozeman Trail fame.
    RH

"Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life"

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of helpful advice, has anyone mentioned indexing primers yet?

Boolit Grand Master

The Fred Cornell punch is the way to go if you can afford it. I have had them for three calibers for several years and several thousand wads.

YOU can solve the "mess" when using them. Take a milk jug (regular gallon plastic one) and cut the bottom off about 2" up from the bottom. Kind of makes an ugly square bowl. Take a knife and cut an "X" in the bottom near one corner. Press the jug over the die (the "X" has 1"-1.5" legs). The tension from the "X" will hold the bowl around the die and collect all of the wads. Empty when necessary to keep them off the floor. The "bowl" is flexible enough to allow you to run strips of wad material longer than the width of the bowl through the die.

Buffalo Arms sells the material for wads. LDPE is my choice in .060" thickness. If you want to be more traditional, "vegetable fiber" in the same thickness is nearly as good (since they are biodegradable, some ranges insist on it). You can buy the plastic (LDPE) locally from a plastics supplier but you'll probably have to buy more than you want. The "veggie fiber" is supposed to be auto gasket material.

Good luck!

Dale53

You guys convinced me. I ordered a Cornell punch from Buffalo Arms yesterday along with a few other things. Thanks to all.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
    You guys convinced me. I ordered a Cornell punch from Buffalo Arms.
    You actually need two of them. Over primer wads work better if they are a caliber smaller than your bullets.
    CM

Hello

Sharpshooter::: Thank you very much, If I can do anything for you just let me know........

Dale53:::: thank you as well,, I had to go cheap, I got the hammer punch and matt

CM::::::: Interesting story, All my relitives on my Dad's side are Indian " Yeah I"m a half breed" the name Nail sounds familiar, saw it in print somwhere next to my Great great Grandmothers name Her's was Anna Drum, She was Shawnee- Delaware adopted by the Cherokee's in and around Arkansas & oklahoma, last place she was known to have lived was Venita Okla. & she is buried in an Indian cemetary in Miami Okla... somewhere down the line all the others moved to New Mexico..........

Boolit Grand Master

Quick tip when using the Cornell wad punch. If the material (whether LDPE or Vegetable fiber) is cut in strips it is much easier and faster to use. Depending on your caliber (I'll let YOU figure this out) I size my material strips based on two rows of bullets (one row on each side of the strip) with enough material between them to get nice perfect wads. Then, using a straight edge, use a quilters rotary knife to cut the material. NOTHING cuts as nicely. You can get them from any fabric store that caters to quilters. The knife looks like a pizza cutter but is a razor. They normally come with extra blades. They cost aoubt $12 or $14 dollars. They sure make the job easier.

if you live in the boondocks, try the internet. Online stores that cater to quilters will have them.

They also have a cutting surface. Since my wife already has all of that stuff and is really good with a knife, I let her do it for me. After all, wives need to feel needed

Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    Speaking of helpful advice, has anyone mentioned indexing primers yet?
    He’ll need a magnifying glass to see the little bitty letters, if he wants to index those primers.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

In Remembrance
    I index my primers very religiously. I make sure all of the cups point the same way.
    Can't remember right now if that's in or out...but it will come to me.
    CM

Boolit Buddy
    I dont know guys but with the cra##$%%@% you guys are throwing at him BEAR CLAW is going to screwed up before he gets started let him prime it powder it wad it
    seat it !! he really needs to warm up too to the rifle and see what these big black smokey belchers are like Idont know but get the basics down first then start working on variables because what works for one might not for another. IF you
    start a load development you need to start with strong basic concepts then tweak
    it from there I understand we are all trying to help and bear claw is asking for some
    ideas But I feel you dont need witches brews to start out with I dont want to tick anybody off here but these are some of my thoughts this is just black a lot of variables on the basics !

In Remembrance
    I dunno, boomer.

I keep a witch in a teabag (she likes it not).
    And always have the water hot.
    Just hate to start up something new.
    Without a sip of witch's brew.