RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wad question & an idea

Wad question & an idea

Hello All

Yes Like a bad penny I am back.........

I have been going over all that you all have told me, and bought 99% of what I need ( well its order'd anyway ) I didn't order a wad punch and now wonder if I should have, So how many of you buy yours and how many make em??? John walters lives down the street from me so I can get veggie wads no prob.

My Idea is this everyone say's punch out the primers and drop brass in water/dert. mix to soak, some suggested a pope tool and other such tools, However the one's I found are x-pensive so how's this Idea....

Lee makes a hand press for $20.00 so get that and a univ. decaper die,, shoot you could even load at the range if ya wanted to.....

I know someone else has done this ( I cant be the 1st ) I was looking at the Lyman tong tool but was not sure if that was a good idea plus it cost's more

Tell me what ya think Best to all Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Even with store bought wads you need a wad punch, to cut newspaper wads. The veggie wad goes on top of the powder. Compress. Then put the newspaper wad on top of the veggie wad. This keeps the veggie wad from sticking to the base of the boolit.

You can get a really DANDY decapper from James Hagar. He makes them. Mine was $20, +$4 postage. Call him, tell him what caliber it is for. He sends it to you. If you like it, send money, if not send it back. He also sells wad punches.

(PM's sent to sharpshooter and 45 2.1)
    Last edited by wills; 02-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Claw View Post
    Lee makes a hand press for $20.00 so get that and a univ. decaper die,, shoot you could even load at the range if ya wanted to.....
    That is one of the best ways best methods going. I've seen several folks do it that way or use a Lee Loader tool, which is dirt cheap to decap at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Even with store bought wads you need a wad punch, to cut newspaper wads. The veggie wad goes on top of the powder. Compress. Then put the newspaper wad on top of the veggie wad. This keeps the veggie wad from sticking to the base of the boolit.
    As usual Wills is spot on. The newspaper wad is a requirement in my mind also for top drawer accuracy. I also use a .030 card wad cut from tablet backs for the same purpose and it works well without taking up too much powder space.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

You can get a really DANDY decapper from James Hagar. He makes them. Mine was $20, +$4 postage. Call him, tell him what caliber it is for. He sends it to you. If you like it, send money, if not send it back. He also sells wad punches
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but do you have his contact information?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    You can get a really DANDY decapper from James Hagar. He makes them. Mine was $20, +$4 postage. Call him, tell him what caliber it is for. He sends it to you. If you like it, send money, if not send it back. He also sells wad punches
    I would also like the contact info.

In Remembrance
    Even with store bought wads you need a wad punch, to cut newspaper wads.
    Don't forget the cigarette paper wad over the primer hole, the wax paper wads for the lube cookie, and the felt wads for the squib loads.

Then there are the sponge wads needed to build those bore pigs...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    MC,

Is right a punch press mounted one is very handy for all kinda experiments in the wild world of wads and different materials.

Once had good friend try some type of gasket material, called rubber Celulos? I got about 3 dozen from him. They shot lights out in my 45-70 and 110. The company that suplied the material was a local auto parts store they went out of business and we lost the suplier.

They worked very well, every bit as good as poly and Perhaps?????? A but more Period correct?

I use my punch to make primer wads-over powder wads and over powder paper wads.

Keep on punching!

Kenny Wasserburger

More than one kind of wad punch
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,242.html
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    I believe Fred Cornell makes the press mounted punch.

been using mine since 1990, both for poly, paper, and gasket material aka fiber wads

The best one for the job, also costs more.

Buy the best and never look back

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Don't forget the cigarette paper wad over the primer hole, the wax paper wads for the lube cookie, and the felt wads for the squib loads.

Then there are the sponge wads needed to build those bore pigs...
    CM
    AWWW Crap......... Looks like I gota lot more ta learn
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Why in H*&& do I put a wad over the primer hole????& squib loads ????????????

Are you guy's messin with me!!!????

Interesting, I had not heard about the cigarette paper over primer wads. I have heard about newspaper over primer wads. For what it is worth, Bear Claw, there are two schools of thought on the over primer wads, and I am not advocating either of them. One school contends that they prevent granules of powder from clogging the flash hole and contribute to uniform ignition; the other school says they don’t do any good.

Now, if your boolits hold sufficient lube, you may not need a grease cookie.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Well I did go with SPG and pan lube, Sharpshooter is gona send me some boolits ta try, after I slug the bore I will order a mould ot two, and that brings up another question, Do I size em or shoot as cast Ie: if I buy a Lyman 457xxx 400 to 500 gr will it cast a couple thousands over like my other moulds... ( crap I know this ) My 311644 for my 03 & 03a3 must size down to .308 or I get patterns instead of groups,,,, Never mind " I"ve Lost my mind "

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/texasborepigs.msnw

For what it is worth, Bear Claw, there are two schools of thought on sizing, and I am not advocating either of them. One school contends that it contributes to accuracy; the other school says it doesn't.
    Last edited by wills; 02-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

On the Fred Cornell press mounted press, does it cut newspaper & waxpaper wads cleanly? I heard that it doesn't do a good job on the thinner materials. Also, is that the same press punch sold by Buffalo Arms?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    A leather punch converted to drill press use,and "FlexAll",which you may be able to get scraps at a publishing company,it is used as BIBLE covers.
    If you luck up and find some,best stock up!

Boolit Master
    The Cornell punch works very well for newsprint or I use Mead Tracing paper instead for my primer wads.

Es's of 5 fps and Sd's of 2 with them. Works very well for me.

Kenny Wasserburger

Thanks Kenny, much appreciated.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
    On the Fred Cornell press mounted press, does it cut newspaper & waxpaper wads cleanly?
    Because you asked, I tried wax paper in mine. It is the one from Buffalo Arms (and according to 4060MAY it is the Fred Cornell punch).

It wasn't mounted in the press, so I just operated it with my thumb and it did fine on the wax paper. Now, admittedly, mine is brand new...but it also did a fine job on Saran Wrap!
    You can't get a much thinner material than that.

It looks like you came to distrust the Fred Cornell punch after reading a post by Smokin, over on the Shiloh forum.
    Read that again. He said that when you punch enough material for the wads to start appearing at the top, they tend to drift around...probably all over his floor.

Pay attention and collect them as they come up, and you'll be fine.

He didn't say that the punch won't cut thin materials.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 02-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Wills, I'm not sure you're helping the guy.....'course, I'm not advocating either possibility