Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My finished Hawken

Boolit Master

My finished Hawken

I've had a Hawken project on the back burner for several years and actually hunted with it unfinished. I contacted Waksupi about finishing it up for me and here is the result. There is a before and after shot of the rifle. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. The service was faster than I expected (deer season) and the price was very fair.
    I'm planning on using my homemade BP in this rifle for deer and I have plenty of time to get things together so shouldn't be any excuse for missing if something gets in range. I fired the first shots through it last night with some of my HM BP. The velocities were good but the sights need regulating and so does the load, close to 1400fps. Ouch!

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 11-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bob, I hope you enjoy it. It should be a good shooter!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Looks good, now you need to find time for the woods.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

I ahve done that with three guns and only finished one so far. I have an Englsih styled half stocked flintlock and a fullstock 20 bore smooth rifle to finish up. Used to never shoot them unitl I finished them. Wasn't an all bad policy but what the heck. Tahts a genuine Hawken repo and should be a great gun. 140 grains? Is it about a 58?

DP

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If anyone else has a project hid in the closet, let me know, I'll finish it for you.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

That's great Bob! Ric sure does a nice job. I'm sure you will have many hours of enjoyment with your newly finished rifle!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

that looks sweet
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    That does look nice (turns green with envy).

I have one very much like that I've been working (or more often not working) on for a while now. Now you've gone and inspired me. So far all I have done is inletting of the barrel, tang, and lock. Lock still needs some final fitting to the snail though. It's a beautiful piece of figured maple I have for it. All I need to do is avoid screwing it up. There are two ways to avoid screwing it up; a) do nothing, and b) do something, very carefully.

The company that sold me most of the parts warned us not to start with a Hawken as a first build project. Only now am I starting to understand why they said that.

Congrats on a beautiful gun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If anyone else has a project hid in the closet, let me know, I'll finish it for you.
    I'll take you up on that once I return to the States. I've got a partially built Edward Marshall rifle on a Track kit that's been waiting for me (or someone with greater skills) to finish it for two years.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

been doin' the building (scratch ) since 84' also can carve & engrave. give me a shout we can talk, retired now so I have fast turn time.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Boolit Mold
    ive been told the same thing and i wonderd why. they look easier than a full stock but there must be something tough about it . anyway thats one beautifull rifle for sure

Boolit Master

I love it.
    Interesting choice on early trigger guard on a late rifle. I like it.
    That is a downright handsome rifle. Prolly looks better than most used to.

Boolit Master

Yep, early trigger guard. Nice looking gun! The sure enough Hawken guns I've looked at were all obviously well used. Most- down right beat up. Tho I've never seen it except in photos the Bridger Hawken IIRC, is also a little beat up. Even had some brown colored paint or something slathered on the stock at one time.

Thats something I've meant to do. I'd like to find a Hawken and do a antique look to it someday. I would do away with the brass furniture and replace with iron or steel and brown all metal. I've heard of a chemical for brass, that darkens it so it don't even look like brass.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Thats something I've meant to do. I'd like to find a Hawken and do a antique look to it someday. I would do away with the brass furniture and replace with iron or steel and brown all metal. I've heard of a chemical for brass, that darkens it so it don't even look like brass.
    Well, something like a T/C "Hawken" with all the brass fittings, curly Q trigger quard, etc. shares very little in common with a real Hawken or one of the very good Hawken repros available since about the mid-70s. Once in a while at gun shows, gun shops or on one of the web auction sites you'll see a used custom or kit gun that has been put together in the last 40 years that IS a good Hawken repro. Sometimes the prices on these are very reasonable. TotW has some good parts and kits for 'HC' Hawken rifles. Most all originals and the better repros have brown iron furniture are fairly heavy and have very little bling. Before everyone gets the yabuts, the generic 'Plains Rifle' and all the Trade Rifles came in many forms and from many makers. But, the iconic rifle of the fur trade era remains the Hawken in its recognizable, basic form as made by J&S Hawken shop or the S Hawken shop. (the Gemmer continuation to 1915 is another story)

Boz330, I know what you mean by bogged down projects. My first "Hawken" build from various parts back in 74-75 took me well in excess of 450 hrs to complete. As a rookie, almost gave up on it a couple of times.

Pic of 3 "Hawken" rifles for comparison (sorry no originals in the herd )

top- 1st build- '74-'75, 54 cal, 12 1/4 lbs

mid- Santa Fe "Hawken"/Western Arms- late 70s, 53 cal, 9 lbs

bot- T/C "Hawken"- mid to late 70s, 45 cal, 7 3/4 lbs
    Last edited by 405; 03-22-2012 at 04:55 PM.

I pretty sure we can think T/C for the brass furniture Hawken. I know a lot of people that like'em but, I never have. When I first started in M/L back in '88 I bought a New Englander. I just like the looks of a nonbrass rifle. The "original look" Hawkens to me are awesome.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

I recently got my flinter from Ric. Here is a link to the build http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=127351
    I am telling you I am not the best at explaining what i want sometimes. But with my meager attempt to explain it to Ric, I gave him artistic license, he turned out a rifle that I had been dreaming of. This is one one of my dream rifles and i can't say enough to explain the beauty of the gun i recieved. If you are looking to have a gun built ot a kit finished/built you will not be dissapointed with Ric's work.

Andy

Boolit Master
    Boz was that rifle a kit to start with?It does have curle maple stock is why I ask.
    Thats one fine looking rifle.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Late Bill Fuller of Cooper Landing, Alaska built this one up for me in 1973 when I lived in AK. He took great care in putting them together and had an original for the model.