WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best case trimmer

Well I broke down and sent off for the L.E.Wilson Case Trimmer and the mount.

The best price I could find was at Midway along with a coupon code. The Standard L.E.Wilson Case Trimmer is $38.99 and the Case Holders for the Wilson are $10.99 each and the Mount for the Trimmer is $16.99. Sooooooo with the code the shipping is almost free lol.

Thank You all for the good info on the L.E.Wilson.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    to really get them right. that is squire and the same lengh. i use a layman case holder in my vertical mill.

stephen perry

Case Trimmers

I have a few. Trimming cases is not a monumental task. If I had none I would buy the LEE, good production. Since I have a few what I feel works adequate are the Wilson, Forrester, hand helds, and CH. The handhelds are the 1 1/2 inch models that I use at BR Shoots. Sinclair sells them but like most stuff they don't make them. I have a 22 and a 6. What I have found with any trimmer is the case must be secure real secure and the same pressure applied for each cut. Like the caliper Thread you can screw your final measurement by applying pressure in-consistently. Having shot center fire for 47 years I have trimmed many thousand cases. One point trim cases .010 shorter than published data gives for case length. Example 30-06 book case length is 2.494 trim to 2.484.

If you insist on spending good money on a trimmer try an RCBS, I recommend everything RCBS makes.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master
    You won't be unhappy with the Wilson. I've had mine for several years. It gives a square mouth and is easily repeatable.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Thus far I really like the Wilson I just got.

Thanks Guys.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    I have a lyman powered trimmer and even with the universal chuck it is a pain to set up and to use and.. It does not make perfectly square case mouths.. I have a forstner? one with the anodized base that never worked worth a darn.

I have now bought the lee "zip trim and a couple of ball end cutters and the case length guages.. all of the stuff for about ten calibers was cheap.

It works fast and accurately.. I even bought a back up but haven't worn out the original after a few thousand rounds. For rifle rounds that I don't shoot a lot.. the lee is so fast and easy that I use it instead of measuring.. I just run all the brass through it. Takes about 5 sec a case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by healey55 View Post
    I have a lyman powered trimmer and even with the universal chuck it is a pain to set up and to use and.. It does not make perfectly square case mouths.. I have a forstner? one with the anodized base that never worked worth a darn.

I have now bought the lee "zip trim and a couple of ball end cutters and the case length guages.. all of the stuff for about ten calibers was cheap.

It works fast and accurately.. I even bought a back up but haven't worn out the original after a few thousand rounds. For rifle rounds that I don't shoot a lot.. the lee is so fast and easy that I use it instead of measuring.. I just run all the brass through it. Takes about 5 sec a case.

I tried the zip & just didn't like it--I use the Lee Universal shell holder & an electric drill...using the lee trimmer plots it trims cases superbly and they are always to the same length--not so with the others that I've tried.

Boolit Master

Lee

One More for Lee chucked in a power drill. I had passed them over, not understanding how they worked and how could anything so cheap be any good. A friend, Carl, who started buying powder when it was sold in paper bags out of a wooden keg said Lee. That he could trim then deburr a couple cases in the time it took others to get one in and out of the trimmer and because you spin the cartridge you deburr in the same operation. So I splurged and spent the $10.
    The tool goes through the flash hole and contacts the shellholder so there is no variation in length. With that pin in the flash hole and a well fitting pilot the cases are square. I filed the pin to adjust the length, you can also shim where the pilot meets the cutter if you need longer. I shoot 44 Mag cases until they split, (about 30 times) and they don't seem to grow or shrink but there is a lot of variation between manufactures. This put all my odd cases back in circulation. I bought a second trimmer and all my split Mag brass becomes Specials. With all the brass within .001" the crimping is much more smooth and consistent.
    I should say I use the RCBS Deburring tool with the lee so I guess I've got $32 into the setup.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I just got done with 600 5.56 cases using a Lee trimmer (and dillon primer pocket swager - another good tool). Worked great, BUT they need to make their shell holders better (harder). I went through two of them. For large quantity I'd do it this again. I also have hornady and 2 Forester trimmers, all of which work well. I've used the hornady for large batches with a cordless electric drill.