Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2MCD ProductsLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for a companion revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

Changeling;
    I stand by my comments. .22's with solid round noses don't kill well out of a rifle much less out of a revolver with much less velocity. Of course, they kill well with a brain shot but unless they are close, it's a body shot or nothing. When used with a hollow point, particularly in a rifle they kill well at reasonable ranges but they DO tear up meat.

I gave up the .22 rimfire after years of trying to make it work on edible small game. It's just flat marginal for that use (when squirrels did not present a head shot, I took a body shot and often lost them - no hunter wants to have that happen - it's not humane). My squirrel rifle has been a 25/20 for many years. It WORKS.

Handguns are slow velocity performers, in general. However, any centerfire from .32 on up and including the .44's have proven to me to do great work on edible small game if you can shoot. I can and pick my shot. That means, as I clearly stated above, a head shot or "through the slats". There is no meat loss with either.

>>>Bottom line I have done this all my life! <<<

Really? Your comments seem to show a singular lack of experience, but Hey! that's just me.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input folks.

It seems that I have pretty much what I need in my M66, or my M686. Carry some 357 mag loads, and some light 38 cast wadcutters or semiwads for the small critters.

The pistol is for some hunting, yes, but I alo want it to be able to be backup protection. Even though I like the idea of having a 22 along, I don't think it would work as a 'for sure' backup. That is, say I left my rifle at the camp, and i run into a coyote or ferel dog away from camp. I want that handgun to be able to do it without uestions.

However, I do have one less than perfect option, especially since I am not the worlds best shot with a revolver. I have a couple of Henry AR-7's laying around. They don't take up TOO much weight., at 2.3 lbs. It might be a option to strap it on the backpack. it would make it easier for the longer shots on small game.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Changeling;
    I stand by my comments. .22's with solid round noses don't kill well out of a rifle much less out of a revolver with much less velocity. Of course, they kill well with a brain shot but unless they are close, it's a body shot or nothing. When used with a hollow point, particularly in a rifle they kill well at reasonable ranges but they DO tear up meat.

I gave up the .22 rimfire after years of trying to make it work on edible small game. It's just flat marginal for that use (when squirrels did not present a head shot, I took a body shot and often lost them - no hunter wants to have that happen - it's not humane). My squirrel rifle has been a 25/20 for many years. It WORKS.

Handguns are slow velocity performers, in general. However, any centerfire from .32 on up and including the .44's have proven to me to do great work on edible small game if you can shoot. I can and pick my shot. That means, as I clearly stated above, a head shot or "through the slats". There is no meat loss with either.

>>>Bottom line I have done this all my life! <<<

Really? Your comments seem to show a singular lack of experience, but Hey! that's just me.

FWIW
    Dale53
    It's easy to slide things over and around in your favor when you talk about HV hollow points and then in the next breath talk about .22 solids. Your intention is to tilt things your way regardless, I don't buy that!

Have you ever heard of .22 flat points, absolutely awesome! Good penetration, excellent accuracy and for small game about the most ideal bullet I have ever seen for accuracy, non-destructive killing power, way cheaper than your CF bullet reloading and nonexistent recoil ! Now that is reality!!

Oh, and BTW, .22 hollow points do NOT do the damage you indicate ! But first I should say that we are talking about normal velocity .22 HP's and fp's for that matter, not the Hyper velocity stuff, just wouldn't want you to get confused and bring that up . Unless of course you want to add loading your stuff HOT!

As for game that is not close (you didn't mention distance) and one has to shoot for the mid body, the 32 will do just damage as a .22 on a rabbit for instance. I would bet the .22 would do less and kill better. I have shot thousands of rabbits, squirrels, Foul, fox's with .22 hp's, FP's, and solids. Never a problem.
    Correction, there has been a problem, people that don't know what they are talking about when referencing .22 ammo, but go by what is written by gun scribes that do most of there shooting in a magazine.
    Last edited by Trey45; 07-30-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Rudeness, insulting and generally nasty remarks will not be tolerated.

Boolit Grand Master
    I composed a scathing response, but what's the point? The IGNORE function will suffice. The second such award in as many weeks, after 14 years without its need. Maybe I'm getting old and less tolerant. Dunno.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Personally I generally carry a hand gun when out in the woods but only carry a rifle when I am hunting. I am one of the people who believe that a hand gun is for emergency use and sometimes for recreational plinking and occationally for shooting small game. When woods walking or camping I generally carry either a 357 mag six inch security Six that I have had for years or a 3 inch sp101 357 mag and even more often a 44 cal cap and ball remington replica revolver. I have shot small game with all of them as well as a couple of coyotes. As far as bear is concerned I have been all over this country including Alaska and have only seen half a dozen bears out in the wild in over 50 years of woods walking. None posed any threat to me (though one was killed by a buddy of mine who had a bear tag and wanted to fill it). Now if I were going into an area where Grizzly bear or Kodiak bear was possible to run into you can bet your life I would be carrying a potent rifle while in that area. I watch a buddy kill a Kodiak bear with a 50 cal flintlock rifle. He had to shoot it twice and I am convinced that if he did not hit it in the neck and broke its spine on the last shot I would have had to finish it with my 338 Mag I was backing him up with. As for black bear that you will see back east the only time they are dangerous is when a sow is protecting her cubs or thinks she is. The rest of the time they will run away faster than you can run the other way.

Boolit Master
    My 2 cents, first, no need to be rude here, we can disagree without being insulting, dude. That said, I agree with the recommendation of a J-frame S&W M60, 3" adjustable sights. Very versatile, from mouse to fire breathin' dragon loads, and very easy to pack. I've been out in the woods a time or two myself and know that a full size revolver gets heavy after a while. When you're alone out there and it gets dark before you get back to camp or you get stuck out in the wilderness for the night it's comforting to have something with a little more spunk than a .22 rimfire for a backup. That's just me. I don't pot small game when I'm big game hunting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    My 2 cents, first, no need to be rude here, we can disagree without being insulting, dude. That said, I agree with the recommendation of a J-frame S&W M60, 3" adjustable sights. Very versatile, from mouse to fire breathin' dragon loads, and very easy to pack. I've been out in the woods a time or two myself and know that a full size revolver gets heavy after a while. When you're alone out there and it gets dark before you get back to camp or you get stuck out in the wilderness for the night it's comforting to have something with a little more spunk than a .22 rimfire for a backup. That's just me. I don't pot small game when I'm big game hunting.

Try reading the original Post . We are talking (Not arguing) about a companion revolver as a compliment to a "Capable" hunting rifle and why.
    Now if you get scared in the dark and a 30-06 to a 458 rifle doesn't calm those fears, are you telling me you are going to reach for a .32 caliber revolver?
    Well, maybe you would! However unless I was in total shock by something life threating like an enormous grizzly, panther, giant HOG, X WIFE, I am pretty sure I would go for the "COMPANION" Rifle, and start going Bang, Bang, Bang, I think that would do it!
    Then in the morning I would BANG (small bang) a rabbit,squirrel grouse, whatever, eat great, snooze, and even feel better.

I use the 30-06 to 458 because there are those that use that caliber rifle in areas of large bears/Elk/Raptors/Dinosaurs, etc, your fear level may very!
    \
    Last edited by Trey45; 07-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Master

Smile Scared of the dark?

Who me? Hey, how did you know? It's true, being out in cougar country where people have actually been eaten makes me, well, let's just call it nervous. Wasn't always like that, I used to be fearless. Then I had a midnight visitor in the Granite Chief Wilderness not too far from Tahoe. I aint been right since. I swore that night I'd go to church every Sunday from then on if only He'd keep me outta that big cats belly. (I haven't kept my promise. Come'on, how many of you have made 'deals' when you're scared and then not held up your end?) I swore that night I'd never go back 'out there' without a 12 ga. pump. I've recomposed myself a little and just carry two guns, a rifle, often a muzzleloader, and my handy M60 .357. Call me paranoid, you'd be right. I know it's irrational, but I always think it'll be me that's in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's why I'm giving up abalone diving too, besides getting old and soft. A guy got his head bit off right where I go ab diving. I just don't want to end up a turd. When cats attack people they almost always jump on from behind without much warning. A rifle won't be ideal in that predicament. Even a .22 pistol would help though. If I had any friends to go with me into the wilderness I'd probably be less nervous. Oh, when I do pot me a nice fat squirrel when deer/bear hunting I use a wrist rocket. Silent but deadly as heck.

Moderator Emeritus

Dualsport, The wildlife Biologist my wife works with says a cougar will grab you by the shoulders and bite, then twist your neck. his training is to slap it if you are grabbed by the shoulders as nothing else in nature it attacks can do that. The cl;aim is the cat will immediately back off. SO far no volunteers but its nice to know.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have a friend in Nevada who lives in an area so infested with the cats they've started wearing a daypack with a GI folding shovel sticking up in back to cover their necks! Geez, reminds me of those Indian woodcutters who wear masks on the back of their heads to confuse the tigers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Dualsport, The wildlife Biologist my wife works with says a cougar will grab you by the shoulders and bite, then twist your neck. his training is to slap it if you are grabbed by the shoulders as nothing else in nature it attacks can do that. The cl;aim is the cat will immediately back off. SO far no volunteers but its nice to know.
    NO, no, no, no Gianni, you're getting confused again, that is the Xwife that does that, and she doesn't let go till the Judge says " and I declare that this poor maligned princess gets the total contents of the GOLD mine, bank holdings, land grants, furniture, his clothing, firearms, fishing equipment, responsibility for ALL bills and Loans, etc,.
    However I am a judge and an honest man, so I declare that the SOB "Changeling" shall have sole custody of the TV, chair, and I will even through in the hassock

Boolit Master

You may want to check the legality of what caliber hand gun can be carried with a rifle when hunting. Some states have strange laws.

Me, I carry a 44 MAG when deer hunting.

Boolit Master
    I am a fan of Thoreau especially when it comes to civil disobediance. Another more popular mentality is "better judged by twelve....".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by housedad View Post
    Thanks for all the input folks.

It seems that I have pretty much what I need in my M66, or my M686. Carry some 357 mag loads, and some light 38 cast wadcutters or semiwads for the small critters.

The pistol is for some hunting, yes, but I alo want it to be able to be backup protection. Even though I like the idea of having a 22 along, I don't think it would work as a 'for sure' backup. That is, say I left my rifle at the camp, and i run into a coyote or ferel dog away from camp. I want that handgun to be able to do it without uestions.

However, I do have one less than perfect option, especially since I am not the worlds best shot with a revolver. I have a couple of Henry AR-7's laying around. They don't take up TOO much weight., at 2.3 lbs. It might be a option to strap it on the backpack. it would make it easier for the longer shots on small game.
    Housedad, just to help out with your confidence in this choice, I think its perfect. First, I'd choose the 66. Lighter weight, adjustable sights, and flexibly powerful caliber. Ideal for a field gun in the northeast. Also you can get a Safariland Comp II speedloader or two and stoke them with both types of loads so you can switch to what you need at a moments notice.

For the loads themselves, I'd go with two, a heavy penetrating power load, and a target/small-game load.

For the target/small-game load I'd load wadcutters in 357 mag brass with 3.5 - 4.0 grs of fast shotgun/pistol powder, like W231, RedDot, or Bullseye. 357 brass tends to give more accurate loads and prevents leading, erosion, or dirtiness from building up in the space between where 38 brass ends and the throat (not usually a huge deal but obviates the concern or necessity for cleaning the revolver in the field).

For the "bear load" I'd go with the 173gr Keith bullet as minimum, but for this application, I like a 180-200gr LBT LFN better. This is because of the speedloaders. A RNFP design is going to feed better in a speedloader set-up than a SWC, by far. Since the meplat does the work and use of this load will be short-range, there's no sacrifice by leaving the Keith design. Use whatever "full-power" slow pistol powder you like (2400, H110, W296, etc.). Myself, I'm partiall to AA9, but there are many good choices.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.