RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavier weight 45 LC hollow points

Boolit Master

Heavier weight 45 LC hollow points

Look out I'm starting to think again, then on the other hand this might be an idea if it hasn't been done already.

I was thinking about taking a RCBS mold (45 270-SWC) and having it hollow pointed. With the right boolet alloy it just might make an awesome projectile for Deer hunting. Haven't worked out everything yet, like who can set up the mold for hollow points, still thinking, dangerous situation.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me! 45Colts tend to run into a wall with boolits much heavier than 300 grains - but I'm thinking about a 325 grain HP for my 454.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Look out I'm starting to think again, then on the other hand this might be an idea if it hasn't been done already. With the right boolet alloy it just might make an awesome projectile for Deer hunting. What do you guys think?

Uh huh. It isn't what we think, it's what you define. WHAT constitutes "the right alloy" ? And at what range and velocity?

Hollow points are best out of soft metal so that they hang together. Fact is, that if you use soft enough metal to get the bullet to hang together well, then you usually DON'T NEED a hollow point. A hollow pointing is only beneficial if you define (and discipline) shot angles so that excess penetration is reduced when countered by expansion. That also depends on "strike velocity" or minimum and maximum ranges that you intend to use it.

Hollow pointing is the act of making something small, get bigger easier. If your slug is already at the desired size, what do you gain? In big bore handguns, using a hollow point can DRAMATICALLY improve results on game at longer ranges as velocity drops but not without extending the "minimum" (close) range at which you can shoot.

Since most game is shot at 100 yards or less, hollow pointing can actually turn out to be counter productive. Just to give you more to think about.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Sounds good to me! 45Colts tend to run into a wall with boolits much heavier than 300 grains - but I'm thinking about a 325 grain HP for my 454.
    Huh? you must be talking about SAA guns, not Rugers. Changeling has a Ruger.

Changeling, if you want a heavier HP boolit, look into the Lyman 457122 HP. It casts at 330gr, and can easily be sized down to .452 for your purposes. It is my most accurate 45 Colt heavy boolit.
    270gr really isn't a "heavy" 45 Colt boolit when you're talking about a Ruger IMO, more like a medium weight.

Boolit Master

I hollowpointed a RCBS 45-325-FN-U mould and downsize to .452" in a .45 Colt Blackhawk. It runs 321 grains sized and lubed. I have had nothing but good results with this modification.

I've tried both the 457122 and the 457191 both hollowpointed in the .45 Colt. The 457122 is a bit too long in the nose but shoots good. The 457191HP also shoots good.

But, the winner is the RCBS over 17.0 grains of Lil Gun for 1053 FPS.......and according to Hogdon, this is the starting load but is plenty for me and what I want it for./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

I have to agree with both Bass and Beagle. Fast with a hollow point gains nothing but a little slower is OK.
    You do NOT want a .45 boolit to expand too fast on game and a slower hollow point can still penetrate.
    Best to just have a good meplat.

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post

Changeling, if you want a heavier HP boolit, look into the Lyman 457122 HP. It casts at 330gr, and can easily be sized down to .452 for your purposes. It is my most accurate 45 Colt heavy boolit.
    270gr really isn't a "heavy" 45 Colt boolit when you're talking about a Ruger IMO, more like a medium weight.
    I had the same thought, sizing this boolit to .454-5" for my fat throated .45 BH. Can someone tell me what size the 270 RCBS falls from the mold at BTW?....Dennis

Boolit Master

You're exactly right the RCBS 270-SWC is not a heavy bullet, or light (285gr WW), but out of a 45LC (Ruger,thanks) it is what I think (no facts Bass Awkward) would be an awesome projectile with enough but not to much velocity to be absolutely great on Deer inside 100 yards. I could be wrong but I have been really thinking about it.

Alloy, well it won't be WW not malleable enough, maybe a mixture of WW and ?, maybe another alloy all together. But I really believe my thoughts have merit.

Diners ready, got to go, later.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    You're exactly right the RCBS 270-SWC is not a heavy bullet, or light (285gr WW), but out of a 45LC (Ruger,thanks) it is what I think (no facts Bass Awkward) would be an awesome projectile with enough but not to much velocity to be absolutely great on Deer inside 100 yards. I could be wrong but I have been really thinking about it.

Alloy, well it won't be WW not malleable enough, maybe a mixture of WW and ?, maybe another alloy all together. But I really believe my thoughts have merit.

Diners ready, got to go, later.
    Evidently others thought this idea had merit, I see it is now in the proposed molds section for purchase. Make sure you have the spud size correct for your velocity and alloy.

Boolit Buddy
    just another thought out loud, but what happens if you take your wheelweight metal and anneal it in an oven, say 300d for an hour and a slow cool in the oven. been too long since i've done it, but seems it would provide a very uniform metal structure and if you played with the time/temp, you could get them down to 10-12bhn without having to configure a new alloy to do so. save the headache of melting or acquiring a new alloy. don't hear too much about annealing, mostly about hardening/quenching using an oven. can work both ways.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    I had the same thought, sizing this boolit to .454-5" for my fat throated .45 BH. Can someone tell me what size the 270 RCBS falls from the mold at BTW?....Dennis
    Seems to be .454-.455

I guess you're right about my perspective. !6.0 grains of Blue dot behind a 250 grain Lee split cases though (1250 fps chrono'd). This was the best I could do with those pressure signs. This is in the standard .45 Colt chamber that Saami puts at only .486" (for .472 diameter cartridges), and pressures in the 21,000 psi range (just expanded too fast). The 300 grainers won't fly very fast at or below these pressures. This has kept me from going hog wild in my 45 L.C. Ruger bisley model. It may not damage the gun, but splitting cases doesn't make my ulcers happy. With a minimum chamber though...... But I'm just a woos though I guess, my favorite load in my .454 is 1300 fps with AA#9 and an RCBS 300 grain rnfpgc.
    Last edited by leftiye; 02-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

We are running a Group Buy on the MiHec two cavity Cramer Style mould for the RCBS .45-270-SAA mould at:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75615

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    I guess you're right about my perspective. !6.0 grains of Blue dot behind a 250 grain Lee split cases though (1250 fps chrono'd). This was the best I could do with those pressure signs. This is in the standard .45 Colt chamber that Saami puts at only .486" (for .472 diameter cartridges), and pressures in the 21,000 psi range (just expanded too fast). The 300 grainers won't fly very fast at or below these pressures. This has kept me from going hog wild in my 45 L.C. Ruger bisley model. It may not damage the gun, but splitting cases doesn't make my ulcers happy. With a minimum chamber though...... But I'm just a woos though I guess, my favorite load in my .454 is 1300 fps with AA#9 and an RCBS 300 grain rnfpgc.

I hear you buddy, I don't have them and am trying best I can not to get them, Hopefully, but sometimes the post answers just get to one! Thanks for your reply.
    It's odd, that so many problems could be solved if Ruger would just adhere to some chamber specifications that would be productive to there business model and promote a definite safety margin to the users of there firearms/Revolvers.
    Eventually someone will be hurt and traceable to there specification negligence and be liable to there lack of competence engineering. Actually it is so small of an engineering change on there part it's ridiculous. But I suppose they feel safe in producing an inferior design relative to chamber dimensions. After all, it's there company.

Boolit Buddy
    i think the warranty goes out the door with handloads, so any mishaps created by firing same might be on the guy doing the loading or firing, not strictly the manufacturer. no doubt, ruger could stand to upgrade their quality standards for certain, and likely not cost much to do so, but production rates rule, not rework costs. kinda makes you wonder how much you save doing something twice.

Boolit Grand Master

Heck, it's an awesome boolit for deer with a solid point! Hollow point can't
    hurt, may bloody up more meat, tho.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Downsized .457 molds..

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Seems to be .454-.455
    Perfect. Thanks. I'm about to test some 457191 292 gr sized down to .454" with 457122 330 gr "Gould" to follow next. I'll keep y'all posted...

Boolit Master
    Perfect. Thanks. I'm about to test some 457191 292 gr sized down to .454" with 457122 330 gr "Gould" to follow next. I'll keep y'all posted...
    Read up on all the information you can find on spud sizes (piece of metal that makes the HP), also the different alloys that should be used.

The spud size is directly related to the alloy/velocity/caliber for really good results, the velocity range is not very large so you have to consider what caliber/velocity you want to use first and then the alloy mix.

I think so too. I fired some sized down 457191 292 gr @ from 1150 to 1270 fps yesterday, and the accuracy looked promising right out of the gate. A 270 HP would likely be a nice "all around" Ruger weight though if accurate. The MiHec 270 SAA mold deal that is underway is tempting! ...JMO, Dennis

Boolit Master
    I think so too. I fired some sized down 457191 292 gr @ from 1150 to 1270 fps yesterday, and the accuracy looked promising right out of the gate. A 270 HP would likely be a nice "all around" Ruger weight though if accurate. The MiHec 270 SAA mold deal that is underway is tempting! ...JMO, Dennis
    A 270/280 gr bullet will blast through the biggest deer that ever lived relative to meplat diameter (.320/.340/.360 and hardness of the projectile as 44Man has said so often. When someone who has been there seen it and done it, talks , maybe you should listen.

If you don't agree, no problem, do it your way!!!!