WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 45-70 wound. . . . Wow!

Moderator Emeritus

A friend was grouse hunting and set his shotgun in the front seat. He claimed he didn't know why or how but as it passed the transfer case he pulled the trigger. $2200 repair in 1984. He considered himself lucky.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I too think possibly ~ old wound left open for draining/treatment perhaps and indeed significant signs of healing/med care. Note fading bruise coloring below the wound plus the 'staging' for plastic surgery. Note the bandage/binding enpressed wrinkles into the sking surface acrossed the shoulder area showing long term binding. Thinking (guessing actually) only the top wound is result of actual bullet contact. The areas showing skin pulled together and healing w/o sutures ~ I'm know some are done w/super glueŽ nowadays.

Am aware of a number of scary incidents among family & friends and have concluded that being human, have accepted the fact its gonna happen ~ be watching and expecting it anytime and always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    Last edited by odoh; 12-20-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Dad came home after WW2 and bought an old win 94 30-30. Wanted hollow points but not many gadgets back then. Somehow he managed to pull the bullets and got some lighter 30 carbine slugs and hollow pointed them but some slid down into the case. Tossed it into the parts bin and forgot about them for the next 20yrs.

Neighbor came over w/a win 94 that wouldn't shoot. Dad recalled he had a spare firing pin and installed it. To chk it out, seen what he assumed to be an empty/fire casing popped that puppy in there pulled the trigger. It WORKED! To his credit, he did have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Boolit Mold
    With the exception of a pistol (with a permit), it's illegal to carry a loaded gun in your car here.
    Partly because of accidents, partly because they don't want people poaching. It makes sense to me. I've seen a few examples here where a loaded gun accidentally went off in a car.

Boolit Master

I have my doubts

No bruising or discoloration between the two wounds. Semi-healed incision above lower wound. I'm thinking Staph infection after the procedure that created the incision, but that is just speculation. Don't really believe that it is a gunshot wound, though.

Sorry.

-HF

Boolit Master

Similar infection

Here are some pictures of a similar infection. (Also not for the feint of heart).

http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/wiki/Staph_Infections

-HF

Boolit Master
    This story posted on another forum by "Pistolero" is not exactly about a AD buy more of a near ND. Quoted as follows below.

I got one better - A few years ago we went over to a friend's house for dinner. After eating he insisted we go downstairs; he wanted to show me his brand new (used) G-19. So, albeit reluctantly, I went to the basement with him. Next thing I know he opens up a Glock clamshell case; and, before I can say a word, he starts to point the muzzle right at the end of my nose!

I didn't wait; there was a certain, '******* gleam' in his eye; and I instantly disarmed him. (Wasn't too nice about it either!) Well, he got furious and began screaming and cursing at me. Several times he repeated; 'Don't you know that I have arthritis; and, now, you've set it off!' 'Blankety, blankety, blank, ...... '

He finished his tirade with the remark; 'What, the Hell, is the matter with you?' 'Don't you realize it isn't loaded?' 'I would never do a thing like that!' (He owned a small local gun store.)

Since I was in possession of his brand new (used) G-19, I glanced down at it; and, sure enough, the magazine well was empty. Then, I racked the slide; and, voila, a bright 'n shiny 115 grain FMJ round went bouncing along the top of his workbench!

This schmuck didn't say a word - Not a word! He looked down at his shoes for what seemed like an eternity before finally mumbling; 'Embarrassing!' That was it! No apology, no nothing. (He and I, both, knew that he had originally intended to pull that trigger in order to get a rise out of me.)

That night ended a five year friendship between us. Since then he's come up to me at several club meetings and, once or twice, at a gun show; but, I want nothing to do with him. If Cooper's 2nd rule weren't, 'burned into my brain' - and I will not allow either myself or anybody else to violate it in my presence - I'd definitely be dead right now; I would have taken that round from my buddy's empty brand new (used) G-19 right between the eyes!

Occasionally, I've wondered about what he would have gone upstairs and said to our wives after I'd been shot in the face and was lying on the floor, bleeding out? Sadly, I know this guy so well that I am positive he would have told our wives that I was fooling around, playing some sort of stupid gun game, when the AD happened.

All of which supports my theory that nobody dies without God's permission. We are born by grace; and, regardless of the circumstances, we die the same way. I beat the odds that night by mere fractions of a second. I could see it in his eyes, had I hesitated, he would have pulled that trigger!
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    OK, I'll confess to one AD also. Years ago I had a friend who bought one of the first Ruger semi autos with the decocker. Being unfamiliar with it ( I always carried a 1911 ) , I was fiddling with it on his front porch. I thought I had it pointed in a safe enough direction.... towards the floor. I squeezed the trigger in DA, and promptly put a 9mm round into the tip of my boot. Luckily far enough towards the end that I didn't get any toes. Every since then I ALWAYS make darned sure to remove the magazine and rack the slide to look into the breech on every gun I handle.

lwknight

That account sent shivers down my spine - in fact over my whole body! Holy Cow!

I had something similar happen to me. I would have taken a 22LR boolit in the gut! Then a girl I was seeing did it to her brother with my 22LR revolver. After carefully explaining the dangers and precautions and standing right behind her she fired the firs shot down range, cocked the gun and swung around and pointed it into her brothers gut. He looked at her with a big smile like it was a joke! And he questioned whether I had a firearm licence!
    Last edited by 303Guy; 12-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I had read that account and thought that it should be shared.
    I contacted the author " Pistolero " on www.concealedcarryforum.com " and he was OK with reposting verbatum.
    A true first hand account of where the "I didn't know the gun was loaded" comes from and why they usually go to prison anyway. You cannot legislate against stupid but, you can take them out of operation.
    Last edited by lwknight; 12-25-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typos galore
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Have drilled into my kids about gun safety -- but then they go somewhere else and encounter dumb people. My 12 yrd old son took an airsoft pellet in the chin, which actually knocked a notch of skin off. He had walked into a friends room and the friend snapped off a shot. He "thought it was unloaded".

My daughter, 21 went to a friends house where a group of several others were gathered. The friend dragged out his new 9mm pistol for show and tell. It was being passed around and one idiot started pointing it at everyone inlcuding the dog. My daughter objected loudly, but her friend insisted that he had removed the magazine. She insisted that he rack the slide, and sure enough out popped a 9mm round.

I've seen kids with BB rifles, including one today at a Christmas gathering who have no idea of gun safety. It was sweeping everyone in the vicinity. It makes me crazy that parents will give their kids something that could cause serious harm to someone else without any safety training or regard for anyone else.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Way back, in 1962, I lost a cousin from a gunshot. He was fourteen years old.
    His older brother had just come home on leave after boot camp. They decided to go camping down in the river "bottom". They took two guns, a22 rifle and a 12 ga shotgun. Ed, the older brother was driving and saw Albert loading the 22. He made him unload it but, he did not know Albert had also loaded the shotgun.
    When they got to the campsite, Albert was pulling the shotgun out of the car by the barrel when the trigger caught on something and it went off, hitting him in the neck and chest. It was over before he hit the ground.
    Ed was never the same after that.