Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finn M39

Boolit Master
    Could you do like Star Metal and just have the neck honed to the desired diameter? Lathesmith or Buckshot might be able to do this if the die body is not to hard. Has anyone checked?

Banned
    I took my sizer die apart and chucked it in the lathe and had at it. Open a little, clean, size a piece of brass and measure. Continued to the process to I got to where I wanted to be with it. I done the same thing with a Lee 6.5 Grendel sizer. Then I bought a set of Redding bushing dies in that caliber.

Joe

Boolit Buddy

O.K. to shoot with surplus ammo?

Just got one of these with a B barrel. O.K. to shoot with surplus I presume( and should I try reloads with 308 bullets first. I don' t have a mold for this rifle. Front sight has been shifted far to the left. What's the best way to move it back, don't want to mar this old rifle
    Last edited by bigbear; 12-12-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Mold
    If your talking about a M-39, the front sight can be dialed back and forth with a screwdriver, the 91s, and 91/30s need the old brass punch. I have a number of Finn and Russ/Soviet variations, and shoot all of the M-39s and 91/30s with GI ball. The older and rarer Finn models with the .308-9 dia. bores don't do well with ball, and due to the advanced ages of their old dry artic birch stocks will sometimes develop serious cracks near the reinforce. I do hand load for those models, (27s, 28s and 28/30s) but with moderate loads using .308 bullets. I think cast would be the real ticket, and I have yet to try that myself.

Boolit Master
    GS yesterday, what a waste of time gas and $ to get in. $10!! for a flea market. All the beefsticks candles, jewlery and body creams I could stand. It was an RK show.
    Ben Dover was there selling dies. I AIN'T giving $39 for a set of lee dies.
    I have found with me at least it is the chase as much as it is procuring the vintage gun. All in all it is very interesting history lesson that I enjoy researching.
    I did see a couple of M-39's that were I would say good to fair shape. Bolts strapped shut of course to protect us from the town idiots that are out there. $300+tax. I did see a few variations, but am not yet familiar enough to judge what it is for sure.
    Looked around for a 314299 of some sort, nothing there either.
    jeff

JSH, A "fat" Loverin design, e.g., one of our group buy molds, may be just the ticket if you can't find #314299. If you can't find the Loverin or -299, ask Jim Allison (CBE molds) or one of our sponsors about the former.

Banned
    I'm sure BaBore would cut his version of the 314299 provide you get 45 2.1 off his butt to draw it up.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    If your talking about a M-39, the front sight can be dialed back and forth with a screwdriver, the 91s, and 91/30s need the old brass punch. I have a number of Finn and Russ/Soviet variations, and shoot all of the M-39s and 91/30s with GI ball. The older and rarer Finn models with the .308-9 dia. bores don't do well with ball, and due to the advanced ages of their old dry artic birch stocks will sometimes develop serious cracks near the reinforce. I do hand load for those models, (27s, 28s and 28/30s) but with moderate loads using .308 bullets. I think cast would be the real ticket, and I have yet to try that myself.
    Yes it is an older one with a Belgium barrel. Wood screws to hold the barrel bands in place, so I take it you recommend low pressure 308 bullet reloads. I may just buy some 308 cast bullets for it as I don't have a 308 mold. What weight would you suggest ?150,170,180 200?
    Last edited by bigbear; 12-13-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Yes it is an older one with a Belgium barrel. Wood screws to hold the barrel bands in place, so I take it you recommend low pressure 308 bullet reloads. I may just buy some 308 cast bullets for it as I don't have a 308 mold. What weight would you suggest ?150,170,180 200?

the rifle is not likely to be a 308 bore.....go do some reading. mos tlikely a 310/311...or bigger.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Mold

M-39 Finn

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Big Bear...the M-39's are .311 to .312 in bore size, I was refering to the Model 27, 28 and 28/30 rifles have the smaller bore. As for boolits for the M-39, I have been shooting the standard east block ball which is usually very close to 150 grain, and the Sov. sniper ball that reeciently came into this country...I've heard these rounds are about 164, sorry I can't be more exact, i've never pulled one to weigh it yet. However, it does not track with the original Soviet PU sniper's scope cam, which was designed for the 150 grain boolit and I suspect it' weight is about what I've heard. I think any good boolit design nominally in about .312 die (slug your bore) in at least 150 should shoot very good. The accuracy of my M-39s with old GI ball is amazing. I think you'll like it!

Boolit Buddy

Finn

I've checked, my rifle is a model 91, Finn , Barrel marked with a B.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    fwiw

the "B" barrels are the same in the M-39 and the M-91.

The VKT and Belgian "B" barrel markings are very similar to each other with the same stamping styles and sizing used. This could be explained by the fact that VKT may have handled the delivery of the blanks and the serial numbering and marking of them when they were put into use. The only difference is that the "B" replaces the <VKT> in a diamond symbol on the Belgian produced barrels and the test proof for firing of 3600 does not include the VKT symbol on the Belgian barrels. The markings from top to bottom include the boxed [SA] followed by the "B" or VKT manufacturing marking, the "D" bullet type marking and the serial number and date. There is no marking to denote that the rifle was assembled at the AV3 depot. The serial number is sometimes stamped along the side of the receiver per import legislation and occasionally serial numbers of previous rifles can still be seen. It is noted here that some of these receivers and components were being rebuilt and refit to a new rifle for the third time when they ended up assembled on a m/39. For example, many receivers started out on a Russian m/91 then could have been rebuilt and refurbished while being assembled into a Finnish m/91, m/24, m/27, m/28 or a m/28-30. Its final use then would have been on the m/39.
    One characteristic noted from observed specimens and from the database of registered rifles of VKT and Belgian barreled m/39’s is that the dates on the barrels are not chronological in the order of the serial numbers. This raise the possibility that the barrels were not date stamped until they were actually assembled at AV3. Of the 30,300 reported barrels that used VKT and Belgian specimens, it appears that 1943 dated VKT barreled rifles are quite scarce and that Belgian produced barrels as used on m/39’s are rare as well. An educated guess by analysis of known serial numbers and determination of barrels produced apparently in sequence can be ventured as to total numbers of guns produced. Since no concrete numbers can be ascertained on specific "B" barrel m/39 production, it is my opinion that approximately 9,000-10,000 barrels were made for the m/39 rifles with the Belgian produced barrel blanks and marked with the identifier of "B" on the barrel shank and dated 1942. It is also apparent that the "B" barreled m/39’s outnumber the rifles assembled with the original m/91 configuration barrels considerably. This would include post war assembly of "B" marked barrels on m/39’s as well.

http://mosinnagant.net/finland/M91inFinland.asp

The B Barrel M91’s

One version of M91 and M39 rifle that causes much confusion are the so called B barrels. There are M91 barrels that have a B proof where the manufacture’s proof would normally be found. This B marking has been debated time and time again but it is clear the B signifies a barrel blank from Belgium. It is assumed these blanks were made into barrels at VKT and some rare examples have VKT and Belgium proofs as well as the B marking. Belgium supplied at least 13,000 of these blanks and all were supposed to be for the M91 rifle; however, the Finns did use a number of these blanks for the M39 service rifle. The exact number of these B barrels which were made into M39s is not clear and the serial numbers also run in the same range as the M91. Almost all of the Bs were assembled post war regardless of whether they are M91s or M39s with a small number being made in 1944-1945. It is known that 5,000 Tikka M39s were produced post war from M91 rifles but the number of B barrels has never been shown (to my knowledge at least). Both the M39s and the M91s have 1942 dates but that does not mean they were assembled in 1942. It is estimated that there are 4,000-5,000 B M91s still in existence but this is only an educated guess. There are far more M39 B barrels than M91 B barrels so the M91s are a good find for the shooter and collector.
    Last edited by txpete; 12-14-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: link

Boolit Master
    Back at this again.
    I found on accident somthing that would neck size down to hold a 312+ and larger bullet. 300WSM die. Works perfectly too. I bought this die on accident and had forgotten about it.
    It didn't hurt that I ran across a gent with a pile of moulds for a good price. Picked up a 311299, 311466 and a 358315 + a couple of new sizer dies for $75. I would have bought more but was low on funds. All were SC and had high hopes they would cast on the large side as from what I have read in the past, a fair bunch of the early lymans dropped on the large side. 311299 drops at around .311ish+ and the 311466 drops at .313++.
    Got real lucky as the 311466 sized to .313+ seats to flush with the bottom of the neck when contacting the throat.
    Now to load and shoot a few as soon as the rain quits.
    jeff

Boolit Bub
    I hand a standing and waiting offer to buy a very nice M39. So far I've stopped myself from buying it for one reason: I know of no affordable brass source to reload.

Is there some secret webiste or something that I'm missing?

Boolit Buddy
    Graf's has 7.62X54R Privi brass for about $43.00/100. I consider that inexpensive for reloading.

Boolit Bub
    Graf's has it for 49/100 w/o shipping