Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 Your Thoughts Please?

Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 Your Thoughts Please?

I was thinking of picking up a new Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 to play with Cast Boolits and for Hunting. Anyone use this rifle or know anything about them?

I have read some good reviews but you know what people say about reviews that they can be a bit biased lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Bought one last year for my son to use for deer hunting.
    Very nice - I like it a lot.
    With an absolute minimum of development work I had a j-word hunting load that does 1-1/2 MOA and a cast practice load with 311284s somewhere around 1800 fps that does solidly under 2 MOA. I expect there's room for improvement on both - just because I got to this point so easily and quickly.
    Excellent trigger, nicely shaped stock, very smooth slick action, very accurate. What's not to like?
    Buy it - you won't be sorry.
    Uncle R.

I think I may just give the Marlin a shot.

I was looking at the Marlin XL-7 and the Savage 111 in 30-06 and not sure if the cost between the two would be worth it.

I also plan to shoot cast 311284 from the rifle with IMR 4350

And J word bullets of 150Gr
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Well I purchased the Marlin XL-7.

Any thoughts on it before I go nuts lol.

Just clean out the bore good with JB paste and check the screws. Have a good time!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    Everything I have ever read on them has been positive, but everything I have read has been in a magazine and I hardly ever see anything negative in a gun mag. For a simple deer rifle I think it will fit the bill nicely and Im intersted in how you make out with it.....keep us updated.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

MarlinOwner's forum has a subforum dedicated to the XL's and the XS's. Most all reviews are pretty positive. I was looking to get an XS7 in either 7-08 or 308. Through this frum I found out that Marlin saw fit to put one hell of a long throat in both of these calibers. So much for a new cast boolit gun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    Just clean out the bore good with JB paste and check the screws. Have a good time!
    JB Paste? Sorry I can not think of what that might be.

Well I did a search and found this >http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=12582

JB Bore Paste does not look like a good idea?

I have in the past just cleaned the barrel real well and fired some J bullets through them and let them cool between shots. But I could be all wrong lol.

Boolit Buddy
    30-06 has a glorious long neck, all the better for cast and keeping the gas check inside the neck.

Lee's 312-185R gas check boolit has a front shank with a diameter such that it rides on top of the rifling, a bore rider. It might engrave the rifling very slightly on this shank. Anyway that bore riding keeps the bullet from wobbling. These 312-185's shoot great in the 30-30 and .308 I've tried them in. The .308 loves 16 gr of 2400, I use 15 gr in the 30-30 because the case capacity is less.

The XL-7 and the XS-7 look like great rifles. I got a Savage .308 for that cases lower powder capacity and for the Savages shorter throat. Stevens 200 is a Savage that costs about $30 more than the Marlin. All these rifles are excellent choices.

Let us know what you get and how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSSS View Post
    30-06 has a glorious long neck, all the better for cast and keeping the gas check inside the neck.

Lee's 312-185R gas check boolit has a front shank with a diameter such that it rides on top of the rifling, a bore rider. It might engrave the rifling very slightly on this shank. Anyway that bore riding keeps the bullet from wobbling. These 312-185's shoot great in the 30-30 and .308 I've tried them in. The .308 loves 16 gr of 2400, I use 15 gr in the 30-30 because the case capacity is less.

The XL-7 and the XS-7 look like great rifles. I got a Savage .308 for that cases lower powder capacity and for the Savages shorter throat. Stevens 200 is a Savage that costs about $30 more than the Marlin. All these rifles are excellent choices.

Let us know what you get and how it shoots.

Mike I made an update here with how it worked out with my Hornady 165GR SST's at 100 yards. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=XL-7

I will play with the Lyman 311284 after hunting season or before depending on how things go. I have to say it is one fine shooting rifle and with the Butt Pad it hardly kicks at all.

Boolit Master

Interesting thread, especially since Dick's Sporting Goods in Macon, GA has them (Marlin XL-7) advertised for $279.00 in todays paper. Seems like a very good rifle for the money.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Uncle Grinch I have to say that even though the Marlin does not have a fancy wood stock or a blue job that you could comb your hair in I would purchase the Marlin Before a BDL or a Wetherby. It shoots great, Has a great Trigger,And I have no idea what they did but the recoil is almost nothing. My 40 year old BDL in 30-06 will beat the heck out of you but the Marlin XL-7 is like shooting a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag.

I would like to play with my XL-7 a bit more but I am just flat out of time. So I found a decent load to site it in for as our hunting season starts this next weekend.