Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Double Rifle in 30 -06

Boolit Master

Remington Double Rifle in 30 -06

I just picked one of these little gems up for $700. Anyone else have one? How does it shoot?

Boolit Master

Question

Never saw one, how 'bout a pitcure?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

anachronism
    Is this one of the Russian made rifles?

In Remebrance

If it's the one that was recently produced, yes, it's the Russian. Never heard anything about them. I wanted one of the O/U in 6.5x55 over a 16 ga., I think that's what it was anyway.

Boolit Master
    We orderd one for a customer and will not order another. They are rather clunky of stock and poorly balanced. The customer wanted to just use it with open sights but that was a no go. The comb was so high you couldnt see the sights. I didnt shoot it but would rate it poor on a handling inspection.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    Yep unfortunately a double rifle with all the quality of a stamped out Kalashnikov. If you were going to buy an airplane and there was one for $500.00 and one for $200,000.00 which one would you be more likely to fly in. Guns are no different. Sorry
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Well guys, gonna disagree with some of you on this. I'll be the first to admit it is not built like a Heym, Searcy, or a Chapuis but for $700 it is a true bargin. I enjoy hunting with doubles and shot my last two moose with my Chapuis in 9,3x74R. The iron sight problem can be fixed by adding one of these:
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7820.html

The guys over at the AR forum are tinkering with these and getting 1.5 inch groups or smaller at 50 yards from both barrels. Triggers are long and creepy but that will be a winter project.

A little history on these as they were built in 45-70 and 30-06. The 45-70's seem very difficult to find as they were bought up first but the 06's can still be found on Gunbrokers. I paid $700 for mine and a few days later could of bought another for $540. But mostly they seem to be selling in the $800 range. Some people have told me they will be reintroduced by another company but I wouldnt hold my breath. I'll take a photo or two and add them to the post by tomorrow.

Was hoping some of you guys had them and had worked out some casting details

Bullshop, do you still have the rifle? I would be interested in it if you do.

anachronism
    The one I dealt with, belonging to a close friend shot over 6 inches at 100 yards. He tried to find someone to re-regulate his, but ended up selling it on Guns America. I hope yours is much better than his was.

Boolit Master
    You "re-regulate" the rifle yourself depending on what load you are shooting. The left barrel is fixed and the right barrel can be adjusted. Once you regulate it so both barrels are shooting close without crossing you adjust the sights to hit where you want. That is one really nice thing with these as you can changes the loads if you like and then re-regulate.
    Regulation instructions are provided with the rifle.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 10-21-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Boolit Master

I have held several.
    They are all right. I have had the double bug ever since I knew what one was. I have not fired them.
    The finish is miserable. On one the finish was non existant. I did not like the sight picture either. I had to have my head too low.
    Aside from that, they are a well built rifle. I couldn't see how it could be regulated.
    They are just a double rifle.
    I had wanted to purchase a double rifle untill I saw these. To some, they will be a bonanza. Holding them, got the double rifle out of my system.

Boolit Buddy
    Several threads on these over on the Nitro Express forums. My take is that they're almost a "kit" gun for tinkerers. I thought I wanted a .45-70 version, but decided to keep saving my lunch money for one of the Pedersolis.

Boolit Master
    Artemida is sold here in Finland as Baikal (the manufacturer).
    The 45-70 is nicer to shoot than the 30-06 due to the fact that the recoil is sharper in 30-06.
    Rimmed 45-70 case is easier to pull from the chamber.
    The regulation of the barrels is possible, but requires certain amount of cartridges and time.
    One regulates to that particular load that will use in the gun. Different load will most likely give totally different POI.
    Best result from those that I have regulated was group where the bullet holes touched from 100 m.
    One should also bear in mind that it is not a target rifle.. When the barrels start to warm the POI might start to move. In hunting one seldom shoots so much that it happens.. But in range.. Well.. Lets just say that it should be kept in mind, and that it is not actually a defect, rather as feature..

S

Boolit Master
    Ordered the scope mount from Pymarid Air Rifles and slapped on a Burris 3x9 as it was the only scope on hand without rings.

Rounded up a box of once fired Federals, some 180 grain Nosler Partitions, and some H4350.

Started with 51 grains to sight in the scope and groups were about 3 inches apart at 25 yards. Before I started moved the jack screw a couple of clicks to adjust the right barrel closer as I heard a couple of horrow stories of the right barrel being wayyyyyyyy off to start. Wished I hadnt of done that because I am convinced the rifle would of been almost dead on if I didnt move it.

Worked up to 54 grains and at 50 yards three separate 2 shot groups were 1 inch, thats right, 1 inch but they were crossing. Both barrels shot to the same point as far as elevation. And my shooting technique was not the greatest as the forearm was being rested on the rest as I supported the rear of the rifle. The god awful long trigger pull didnt help matters either and I bet once the triggers are worked on this rifle will be a tack driver.

Next trip out I will play with the regulation a little bit more so the barrels do not cross and move the target back to 100 yards and see what happens.

For a $700 double rifle this thing rocks! No signs of excessive pressure but sure do wish the 06 was rimmed as it would make pulling the empty cases out easier. Outside of the long long trigger pulls my only complaint is the fact the safety automatically goes on when you open the action. After regulation is complete the iron sights will get fixed and it will be scopeless. Recoil was mild. Might play with 220 grain slugs in the future just to see what happens.

Boolit Master
    I think I just saw a reloading or shooting report in one of the mags on this gun on 30-06.

Can't remember which one right now but it's on the news stands I saw it in the last week or so.

I have a mild interest and will follow this thread if you post more info I also have the double rifle bug and may splurge at this price.

Stocks can be put on a diet, sight can be changed, heck even the barrel could be rechambered for a rimmed version of the 06 based on a 303 case???

Lots to think about!

Maybe to help regulate it you could clean it with Ex-Lax.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Maybe to help regulate it you could clean it with Ex-Lax.
    Priceless, Uncle Ray. As always.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    First I wanted to see if this rifle functioned correctly and it did. No misfires or nothing out of the ordinary other than maybe an 1/8th inch creep in the triggers.
    Before spending any money on it as far as special sights or a trigger job wanted to confirm it was a worthwhile project to follow.
    This is the scope mount:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leaper...m_Dovetail/636

I know these rifles are not for everyone. But double rifles are normally very expensive and these rifles present a great opportunity to own something that is normally out of reach for most people. Plus they have a really "cool" factor when other people notice what you are shooting and come over to talk with you. Add the fact that it breaks down into two pieces with each being about 26 inches long or shorter and they can slip into your suitcase while traveling.

Don't wait to long if you are considering one, the 45-70's sold out pretty quick but the occassional 30 06 can still be found on Gunbrokers or Gunsamerica.

Might be able to hit the range again next Monday. If I do, I'll follow up and report the results.

Boolit Master
    It's the current issue of Gun World that has the article.

It's for the 45-70 version don't know where I saw 30-06? unless its in another Mag.

Still curious and will read further posts if you make them.

Boolit Master
    Went back to Birchwood today for a little fun. Top target speaks for itself. On the bottom target the load was increased by 1 grain and not much change. It was pretty windy out and the triggers still prevent a even release but I would speculate that the groups could be cut in half if the triggers were worked on. No misfires, no difficulties extracting the cases.
    One thing for sure though is the rifle is sensitive. Last trip out I was firing the left barrel first ( I am left handed) and this trip out I decided to shoot it correctly and fired the right barrel first which then caused me to play with the jack screw a little. Still, rifle is a piece of cake to regulate or I just stumbled upon the perfect load for this thing.
    A nice gentleman was sitting down the range from me watching and then he came over to talk. He told me he recently bought a Blaser Luxus double from Cabelas in (I believe) 500/416 and wanted to know how this rifle shot. I showed him the targets and then he watched me shoot the final group. His final comments were he wanted to know where he could buy one as it was more accurate than his Blaser. Cetaintly this rifle is not even in the same league as other doubles but still, the accuracy is there. I have never scoped my Chapuis so can not give a direct comparison but I suspect this rifle is more accurate. Still need to load up some more and take it back to 100 yards and see what happens.
    I am resting the forearm on the rest and supporting the stock free hand so this is not even bench rest shooting. The black bullseye is 4 inches across.
    PS: The Noslers are "seconds".
    http://i26.photobucket.com/alb...48/snowwolfe/top.jpg
    http://i26.photobucket.com/alb...snowwolfe/bottom.jpg
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 10-23-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The links go to photobucket for me but just to a page asking for money for something called pro.

To post pics from PB I had to copy the Image, Img, line for the pic and post that.