Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melting Pewter Questions

Boolit Buddy

Melting Pewter Questions

I've managed to scrounge up around 8 pounds of pewter that I want to melt
    into small ingots. I have a few questions I need answered before I do this.

1) This might be a dumb question but I need to ask it. Do you need to flux this melt?

2) I want to use mini muffins tins so I got a used one. Does it make a difference
    whether it is aluminum or steel?

3) Is it OK to coat the tin with Kroil as a release agent? (Last time I tried to pour
    lead in a corn bread muffin tin (steel I believe) it turned out to be a disaster and I
    had to torch the lead ingots out of the mold.)

4) If Kroil is not the answer to getting a good release from the muffin tin, what are
    the alternatives?

TIA,

F
    Last edited by Fugowii; 09-14-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Ingots fall right out of muffin tins. No need to coat the inside. You only coat the inside if you want your corn bread muffins to come out easy. <BG> Kroil might make your corn bread taste funny ......... Unless the pewter is highly dirty, I would only just skim off the dross and pour them in the tins w/o fluxing. Just curious to know where you found 10 pounds of pewter??? That is a mother load find.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Pam cooling spray might be a better chose tham Kroil .

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    Ingots fall right out of muffin tins. No need to coat the inside.
    That may be true for many tins but not all. My wife gave me 2 muffin tins and I bought a 3rd @ walmart. Lead becomes one with the WM tin and has to be melted out. After my first problems with it sticking someone suggested letting it rust up so it would release better and I did so. After rustig it released the 1st batch OK and I thought the problem was solved so I refilled it and the lead became 1 with the muffin tin again. It is now in my trash can which is going down to the curb for pickup in the morning. A spray coating might have helped but I beat the tar out of trying to get the lead out - Good riddance! The 2 my DW provided release perfectly - 1 is SS and 1 is Silvastone coated.
    NRA Life Memeber

Buy an ingot mold and be done with it---about $15 and last a lifetime.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a silverstone coated muffin tin with no problems. Wouldn't try a steel one, because it would probably be tin-plated - which would certainly love to become one with molten pewter or lead. Pewter is about 92% tin, 6.5% antimony and the rest copper.

Wouldn't be a bad idea casting the pewter in a different shape than for WW or lead. Makes it harder to mess things up by confusing the pewter for WW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2 View Post
    Pam cooling spray might be a better chose tham Kroil .
    The butter flavored stuff is especially nice

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    Ingots fall right out of muffin tins. No need to coat the inside. You only coat the inside if you want your corn bread muffins to come out easy. <BG> Kroil might make your corn bread taste funny ......... Unless the pewter is highly dirty, I would only just skim off the dross and pour them in the tins w/o fluxing. Just curious to know where you found 10 pounds of pewter??? That is a mother load find.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    I scrounge pewter in various places.

1) Salvation Army store a couple of towns over - occasionally get something there
    2) Yard Sales - always check these out - great source
    3) Town dump has a recycling area - less of a good source due to many people scrounging. Got to be lucky.

#1 & #2 have been the best. I hit a yard sale this morning and got a picture frame
    that weighed 1.0 pounds ($2) along with some jewelry ($2). Unfortunately the
    wife liked some of the jewelry and snatched it. I then hit up another yard sale this
    afternoon and got a late 19th century butter server for $5 that weighed in at
    slightly less than 2.5 pounds.

I always carry one of those screwdrivers that have a magnet in one end and a
    twist head in the other along with a small magnifying glass. I don't make heroic
    efforts to get this stuff but if I am going somewhere I always give a look see on
    a drive by and if I see anything silver I will stop and check it out. Around here
    a lot of people have those engraved pewter mugs for some award or another
    and they gather dust so people dump them. I am anxiously waiting for the yard
    sale season to start up again this fall (after labor day). We had a heavy rain this
    past weekend and all the yard sales got rained out. Here's hoping for some good
    weather next weekend!

So far I have slightly less than $14 dollars into the pewter I have. There was
    another thread recently that discussed what to look for when scrounging for pewter,
    That was excellent advice. Try to do a search and find it as it will help you out a lot.
    Last edited by Fugowii; 09-14-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Buy an ingot mold and be done with it---about $15 and last a lifetime.
    That won't work due to my wanting to make much smaller ingots than one pound.
    I do have one of those alum molds with the 1/2 pounders as well as the one
    pounders but that is going to take quite a bit of time and it would be a pain
    getting the right weight of the melt into the final alloy.

I am currently looking for a waffle griddle as I am thinking I would pour a thin layer
    of the melt into it and after letting it cool I could break it into small pieces for adding
    the 1.5% tin into the alloy.
    Last edited by Fugowii; 09-13-2009 at 10:34 PM.

fugowii---I don't know why you need smaller ingots--but the Lyman ingot mold I have is just right for adding them to A Lee pot. You can vary the size by how thick you pour them. They fall right out--don't need rusting, Pam or anything else. Had mine since 1967.

I've realized I am sitting on the ideal 'ingot' mold - fishing sinker molds! Just right for my Lee bottom pour.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

303 Guy--sitting on the ideal ingot mold---don't they have chairs in New Zealand?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    fugowii---I don't know why you need smaller ingots--but the Lyman ingot mold I have is just right for adding them to A Lee pot. You can vary the size by how thick you pour them. They fall right out--don't need rusting, Pam or anything else. Had mine since 1967.
    For a 20 pound pot you need to add five ounces of tin for 1.5% mix. I want to
    avoid trying to shave this stuff off a larger bar. I might try pouring small amounts
    into my ingot molds until I find a waffle griddle.

Boolit Master
    If worse comes to worse just clamp a couple of wooden 2 x 4s together, drill some 3/4 holes at the joint. Then sand the sides of the holes smooth and pour into them. That's how we made sinkers when I was a kid.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fugowii View Post
    I've managed to scrounge up around 8-10 pounds of pewter that I want to melt
    into small ingots. I have a few questions I need answered before I do this.

1) This might be a dumb question but I need to ask it. Do you need to flux this melt?

2) I want to use mini muffins tins so I got a used on. Does it make a difference
    whether it is aluminum or steel?

3) Is it OK to coat the tin with Kroil as a release agent? (Last time I tried to pour
    lead in a corn bread muffin tin (steel I believe) it turned out to be a disaster and I
    had to torch the lead ingots out of the mold.)

4) If Kroil is not the answer to getting a good release from the muffin tin, what are
    the alternatives?

TIA,

F
    If I Remember Correctly, isn't pewter an alloy of tin and zink?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer View Post
    If I Remember Correctly, isn't pewter an alloy of tin and zink?
    From Post #6: Pewter is about 92% tin, 6.5% antimony and the rest copper.

This is what I copied out of a previous post regarding pewter:

Pewter Characteristics

Tin melts at 449.47 deg. F.

When you get started look for items that have PEWTER written on the bottom.

I pour mine in mini-muffin ingots that weigh 2-4 ozs each, about .25-.5" thick. I weigh each ingot on a postal shipping scale and write the weight on it with a permanent marker.

You'll see stuff that says WILTON or ARMETALE or PEWTEREX on the bottom. This is NOT pewter. It's got zinc in it and when you try to bend it, it will hardly budge.
    (ETA: I found a mug with a rWp in a circle like a logo - that is Wilton even though the piece was not marked any other way.)

If it is tack welded or screwed together, it isn’t pewter.

If it has a rivet, it's not pewter.

Pewter is not magnetic.

When you bend pewter, it will not try to return to its former shape.

Most pewter I find has a smooth non-porous surface, but is not shiny.

Hope this helps. Good hunting.

I have three of those 'pewter' mugs I bought at thrift stores, and all turned out to be aluminum ......... One was very nice and had a flintlock pistol for a handle.
    Ohio Rusty
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Buddy
    The casting Gods have smiled on me again. I picked up this beautiful cast iron
    mini muffin mold-to-be at the recycling area (dump) today. Taiwanese of course.

Boolit Mold
    I would guess filling up whatever mold you have to the correct weight you desire would work, and then just use the "master weight" as a template to scribe a fill mark in to the rest.

AV
    "Those who invoke history will certainly be heard by history. And they will have to accept its verdict."
    - Dag Hammarskjold

my question is, what are you going to do with it after you make ingots out of it? is it usefull for casting boolits? sorry, my inexperience is showing.