Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a least favorite cartridge for reloading?

Boolit Man
    308 mil surp brass.

oh and 45acp they just keep turning back into brass no matter how hard i try

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

Boolit Master

The 25acp is near the top. I hate the 17 rem. I did go to a ball powder but the brass is about 3 time load.
    The 357 sig is not too bad if you dont make a mistake and use the Rem gold saber bullet. I loaded about 100 one time and thought I had a nice round. Put them in the plastic boxes and off to range. Opened the box and box was full of powder and all the bullets were inside the cases
    Do know you cant get them out. They are in the bottom of a piling hole

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    41 Colt.... It is time consuming... have to make everything... only black powder shoots well... cases cost more than for my 41 Supermag... and in the end if ya can keep 6 shots on a paper plate at 25 yards you win braging rights on most any web sight !
    But ,,,, What a joy to play with !
    Mike ...now in Illinois and unpacking to stay for 7 months.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

No cartridge that leaves an empty shorter than my thumb is wide.

I gotta go along on the .30 Carbine with zxcvbob for stuff I do reload. It's o.k. in a single stage press, but a real nut buster in a progressive!...And what fun is it loading them in a single stage? I reserve that for .30/06 and .45/70!...Not a half and half like .30 Carbine. I love the gun, a 1942 Underwood, but that cartridge...

On the other hand, .45ACP and .44 Magnum are nothing short of pure pleasure to load.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    my least favorite cartridge to load for is for my percussion sharps. The cartridges are made from treated paper and it is very time consuming to make them then they are gone in a flash when you pull the trigger with nothing but a hole (BIG HOLE) in the target. They are fun to shoot but each 50 rounds costs me about three hours of work.

Boolit Grand Master

25ACP!!!!!!! A guy I ran into years ago wanted me to load for him. I told him that if he would buy the dies and components, and give me the dies, I would load him the first 100 even. He did, and I did! I gave him back the whole thing including the dies with the statement that I didn't want to ever see a 25ACP again. I durn near hole punched a couple of fingers in the process. On top of that, the ctg. is in my opinion about a useless as a lot of people I have run into.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    .223 rem with flat based bullets.. I crush case necks and even chamfering the case mouths it is still difficult to make them work..

Boolit Mold
    I used to reload for a living back in the early 80's and there was a Liquor store owner in town who carried a 25ACP Raven for his only protection gun (I'm not sure where you would go for a back-up unless it was a 22 rimfire belt buckle gun). I'm not making this up.
    Along with the gun ($39.95) He purchased one box of factory ammo from me and then he would come out to the range every month or so and run 50 rounds through that Raven, and I of course had to reload them.
    He was upset when some of the brass split after the second or third reload.
    That Raven fired at least 250 rounds that I know of. I lost track of him after that. He went out of business.

Boolit Master

I personally have a love/hate relationship with two 6.5 Jap rifles. I love to shoot them because they are so accurate for their ages but I hate howthey abuse my handcrafted cases. To avoid paying the high price of Hornady or Norma brass, I use either 35 Rem cases that are necked down; 220 Swift cases that are necked up and then trimmed to length or my few painfullly reformed 308 Winchester cases that were swaged down with RiceOne's homemade swage dies that he made for me last fall (First time I used them, I broke my Lee Challenger Press- when Roy tells you to use a Strong Press and a good Lube - he means it!)

REgarding 223 cases with flat-based bullets. I use a M-die on them, just like I would with a gas-checked 55gr LEE Bator cast boolit.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

44-40 and 22 Hornet

Crushed cases and poor neck tension...... respectively of course.

Now the one I don't like to reload for? That would be ..... and 22-Hornet.
    Heyyyy! I love loading the little hornet! If you saw how I do it you would laugh!

Or if I want to load without the 'paper cup', I place a cardboard wad over the powder charge then compress the powder and size the neck with this tool.

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Moderator Emeritus

303 guy, that's actually pretty cool how you do that! I imagine those little pills are hard to roll, what you've got looks to be a real time saver!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remembrance

I disliked loading 22 Hornet until I got Lee collet neck sizer and a factory crimp die. I can size the neck just enough to slip the boolit in easily, and then crimp to hold it

i have a TON of calibers i HATE reloading for!!!!
    all the ones my non reloading buddies love to shoot up!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

7.62 x38 Nagant pistol. Difficult to load compared to other rounds plus I haven't got good results. Wonder why I bother some times.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus
    My least favourite in rifle is the 7.62 NATO and the 9mm parabellum in pistol.

No particular reasons other than they the 2 rounds that I can't really get fired up about.

Its "Oh No got shoot 7.62/9mm again" and my heart sinks.

Just personal foibles.

The fiddly, time consuming stuff I love.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

After a bad experience with a H&R 38-55 a couple of years ago, that caliber has left me cold! I finally sold the *** gun, loading dies, brass, and boolets. Unless you want to make/remake your own rifle, I figure this caliber to be best left alone these days.

Boolit Master
    Forming 357/44 AMP cases from mil.308 ....size,trim,ream, trim, size, and load......

458 Win !!! Just the thought of all that lead and powder disappearing each time I pull the trigger. I can reload 7 or 8 25-20s for the components in one 458.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate the brass prep work on just about ANY bottle-necked case!

I LOVE loading for 45 ACP and 38 Special!