RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: .410 shotgun slug

Boolit Bub

.410 shotgun slug

Hi all,
    Just put my money down on a cheap little .410 bolt action Lee Enfield shotgun. I was thinking about making some slug loads for it. Any ideas what is the best mold to use as .410 slug. I was thinking something like as ball mold for black powder or something along those lines

Boolit Master
    Check this out, 375 grain 410 slug at 1500 fps.

http://www.hoeningbigboresouth.com/B...allistics.html

Boolit Bub
    Cheers for the information

Boolit Master
    Does your .410 have a smooth bore ? Might have to look for a rifled slug mould if it does or it's not going to shoot very far accurately . I used to shoot an old bolt action Mossberg that my step dad had with factory rifled slugs and could keep it in the 4 to 5 in. range at 100 yds. . Without a rifled slug or barrel , I'm thinking it might not shoot too far and still be accurate .

Keith

PS Nice lookin little hot rod you have there , Congrats on the acquisition .
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Bub
    Cheers, Its smooth bore. im going to pick up some slug from the local store and try it out see what groups I get.

Boolit Master

So what is the point of a rifled slug? It doesn't grip the barrel any better than a smooth slug.

So what is the point of a rifled slug?
    The 'rifling' allows the slug to be fired through a choked barrel. That's all. It's the felt wad that keeps it going nose first.

One idea I have seen was to use a suitable hex socket as a mold then attach a plastic half-cup wad with a self tapping screw. For a cylinder bore, I would think a short round nose 41 cast boolit would be just fine with a felt wad (not sure if one could get plastic half-cup wads for the 410).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    I have shot all of the factory .410 slugs in smoothbore....I suggest you start with a few boxes of rottweil-brenneke slugs...and I am fairly certain I spelled that wrong.

My grandpa only owned 1 gun.. a single shot H&R topper in 410...what they say about the man with one gun is true. He killed everything from rats-squirrels-birds-to deer with that thing. In his latter years he only "hunted" from the deck of his house...but he still got his buck every now and again.

A set of solder on sights might help you out more than anything. A 410 slug is a formidable piece in the right hands...have fun.