Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite .44 cal boolit mold

Boolit Buddy

Favorite .44 cal boolit mold

Shame on me! I cast boolits for my .38/.357's, .41, .45 plus my 30-06's and 45/70's but I don't have a boolit mold for any of my .44 Specials or .44 Mag's but I'm planning on fixing this minor problem. Sad to think that I've been casting since 1970 and have no .44 molds.

For those of you that cast for the .44 Special and .44 Mag., what are some of your favorite/most accurate .44 cal boolit molds? I'm looking for suggestions on a standard weight mold in a 240/250 grain SWC range and really don't need any heavy weights and would prefere plain base over GC. Punching paper and deer hunting is about all I'll ask out of these two .44 cartridges in a handgun.

2shot
    Last edited by 2shot; 05-28-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Banned

RCBS 44 245 SWC is one I like

Banned

I also like the Lyman 429421

Be aware that some of the RCBS cast a bit small.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    RCBS 44 245 SWC is one I like
    This is my current fav. non GC mold. I also like the RCBS 250grK. FWIW, I don't find they cast small using upto #2 alloy.

Boolit Mold
    Just ordered the Lee 240gr SWC TL mold from Midway. This is my first boolit mold. Should be here next Tuesday. Then we will see. A little Unique and some practice. Made my first ingots last week from WW. I'm all new at this.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

my fav 44 mold is the one holding down my bait.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Rcbs 44-250-k

Boolit Master
    RCBS 250K

Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Ken Stop lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Are there any others?

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

429421 Keith 250gr, 429215 215gr. Mr. Keiths boolit has many variations by several makers.

Most of the variations are in lube groove and driving bands , The RCBS offering is ok.

If you go to the group buys, there are some .44 molds being made that will be good , IMHO.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    LYMAN 429667, 429244 and 429215 are all good...used them all...BUT my favorite is the 250 grain full wadcutter from OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS, designed by Blammer. The 200 grain double ended wadcutter group buy mould is also excellent, but shoots low in my herd of VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS.

I'm waiting as patiently as possible for the 250 grain KEITH mould from MAKE MINE A 10 MM's group buy. It has the good characteristics of various designs and hopefully will feed in my 44 MARLIN Cowboy rifles...like the 3 LYMANS.

If you're a serious pistol shooter, you need 4-to-6 cavity moulds, a 20 pound+ lead pot, a STAR lubri-sizer and a DILLON 550B or similar progressive reloading press.

Boolit Buddy
    The premier 44 bullet mold is the H&G #503. 250gr Elmer Keith bullet and they drop like a dream. I have one in 4 cavity. The best 44 caliber mold ever made!

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently acquired an Ideal 431215. I had Erik remove the g/c shank ( rear band now mikes .432 " ) and HP the mold also.

I shoot it in my New Model Ruger 44 special. A super accurate bullet .

Boolit Master

429421 is my favorite. Load with 8.5 gr Unique or 22 gr 296 in the 44 Mag.---dale

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Not big enough for a boat anchor, eh?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stickandrudder View Post
    Just ordered the Lee 240gr SWC TL mold from Midway. This is my first boolit mold. Should be here next Tuesday. Then we will see. A little Unique and some practice. Made my first ingots last week from WW. I'm all new at this.
    Stick, be sure to read and follow the instructions on that Lee mould. Don't try to cast at less than 725 degrees and once you get started, keep it moving. I started with one and just got really frustrated wuth it until I caught on.
    Your beeswax makes a good pin lube for that mould.

My favorite mould (regardless of caliber) is a Saeco 445 w/Cramer mod by Erik @ http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
    It casts a 212gr HP and drops a 431 bullet with about 12BHN alloy. Lube and shoot as cast.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Edubya, The best lube for any aluminum mold is the Sprue plate lube sold by Bullshop on this forum. If you give it a try you will only use beeswax for making lubes and medicine. People buy it from all over the world!! I'm suprised in the month that you have been here that you have not heard about it. Welcome to the forum!! Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I have great luck with the Lee 240gr SWC TL mold. Keep the lead hot and a touch of moly grease on the sprue plate and alignment pins and it will cast like a dream. TL in LLA cut 50-50 with mineral spirits and it shoots very well too.