Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsReloading Everything

Thread: Model 1917 manufacturing movie

Model 1917 manufacturing movie

I think it is worth a look. I liked the "slushing". I had never heard the term before.

You get stuck with an ad in the beginning, but still a cool movie. Made before "video" was a term!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wM-lzDWE4

Particularly liked using a brace during assembly. I still use a brace on occasion as a screwdriver, it works better than it has a right to do for a tool that originally started out as a bent branch.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-15-2024 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master

NEAT!

Remington was still using one of those barrel straightening devices in the custom shop when I got to tour the Ilion plant in 2002 - - mainly because they still hadn't found a better way to do it.

The scale of those wartime operations is a little hard to wrap your head around. Watch that video and consider that Winchester was making not only M1917's, but BAR's as well, and they were gearing up to start on 1911's when the game was called. Remington was making 1917's, 1911's, had re-tooled off a Mosin Nagant line, etc...

That's a lot of milled steel, folks...
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I knew a gunsmith many yeaqrs ago (now dead) who made his own overhead barrel straightening press. Worked great, once he straightened a barrel, it would be dead on accurate. I think that video of the 1917 production was about the best video I have seen on this site. Thanks for the link. james

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. Never heard of slushing either. I did not get an ad so great for me to watch.

And I stumbled across this video quite by accident, one day after having my 1917 out and shooting it at a vintage military match.

It's still in the truck, time to get it cleaned and back in the safe.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome video!

OSHA would have a great time with fines if that was today.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Pretty neat video! One of my first summer jobs was in an old machine shop that made stuff for the war effort. Some of that equipment was still in use back in the late 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Pretty neat video! One of my first summer jobs was in an old machine shop that made stuff for the war effort. Some of that equipment was still in use back in the late 60's.
    I sold industrial equipment up to 2004, it was pretty common for me to run across machinery with government "brass tags". They stated which branch of the service owned the piece of machinery and a serial number. Navy x734562 or Army k987543.

Oddest was a Kodak optical comparator. Still worked well, problem was the light bulbs had turned into unobtanium. Like $700 for a light bulb that had a life expectancy in the hundreds of hours, not thousands. When they could find them.

I sold them a nice Starrett that took $24 light bulbs, if bought through Starrett, or $7 from a catalog house.

They were pretty pleased.

Boolit Master
    I remember seeing those brass tags, too.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I remember finding that video when I was restoring my Winchester 1917. Watching them smack stuff with those big hammers reminds me of the cartoon when they were smacking ACME bombs with hammers and writing duds on them…lol.