Reloading EverythingMCD ProductsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Thread: Loose primer pockets

Boolit Master

Loose primer pockets

I have some well used brass that has developed loose primer pockets but is otherwise in good condition. I had a couple primers fall out after being fired. These were 450 BPE with 2fg black powder and 320 gr. bullets so I am sure we are not talking overpressures. I got this brass used with no claim of once fired or such, just used brass. Seems no harm to the gun or shooter from the loose primers. If the primer stays in the pocket of the loaded rounds and fires fine, is it ok to use as is?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I've had some used .30-06 & .270Win rifle brass that I knew the history of, and they'd never been over pressured.
    As I recall, it was Remington primers that seated rather loose compared to the Winchester or CCI ones I normally use.

I wasn't comfortable with them, but they did OK in my normal loads running around 80-90%
    of max. with Sierra Game Kings.

If you start seeing a black ring around the edges after firing, I'd probably try switching primers,
    or get rid of them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

You might be able to make a primer punch to form a ring to tighten the primers. The result would look like the ring type primer crimps on military brass. The pocket will have a narro ring formed from the brass at the top of the pocket.

I would go thru this with common easy to get brass, but on hard to find expensive brass it may extend the life some.

The swage punch would have a pilot of the correct dia with a flange that the face is recessed to a sharp edge angled so it pushes a small amount of brass into the pocket against the pilot. Set up in a reloading press you would have the depth control to maintain size. It wouldnt take much of a "bump" to bring pocket back. I dont think youll get flow to the bottom of the pocket but a narrow ring at the top of the pocket maybe 1/4-1/2 way down.

Boolit Master

There have been a few tools built and sold to bring the primer pocket back to a tight fit , I have looked for them myself , but they are rare and have not found one of them for sale .

I have 2 tubs of 30-06 Taiwan made and those used a slightly larger then normal primer , hate to throw it away , one of those get around to it projects to make a swage and make it useable .

Boolit Buddy
    Get you a drill rod that fits tight in the neck of your case and a round stainless steel ball around 7/16 in size and a light hammer , place the drill rod in the case and the case on the round stainless ball and place on something like a 223 sizing die or equivalent and hit the rod a few time till you get the feel of it and try to seat a used primer if still loose repeat until you get a tighter pocket you'll get a feel foe it soon and you can tighten a primer pocket up for several more reloads and save on brass.

Boolit Buddy

A small round headed steel Allen-head bolt can be used to peen also.
    Ginex primers are a bit tight in new pockets and may extend the case life without peening. The no longer imported Russian Wolf and Tula primers were a tad bigger if you have any of those.

Vendor Sponsor

I have experienced loose primer pockets shooting BP exclusively. It happens. The 40-60 Maynard RP brass I have are starting to show this now that the cases are north of 75 firings.

I guy I used to see at away matches had cases so used he slip fit his bullet and got a laugh out of showing people when he would pump the bullet in and out of the case neck, the primer would pop out.
    Chill Wills

CCI primers fit snug compared to Federals . IMO Dr.C

Boolit Buddy
    Replacing cases from time to time is part and parcel of reloading.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    When I was shooting hi power, I would shoot Winchester primers 'till the pockets felt slightly loose, then I would switch to CCI until they got loose again, or failed in some other manner. Then chunk...........

Boolit Grand Master

Loose primers are one of the signs that the brass is wearing out .
    Look for primers that just fall out onto the floor ... those are ready for retirement !
    Look out for Leaking Gas Pressure around a primer ... black soot ... those are retirement ready .
    If they don't fall out or leak pressure ... keep on keeping on !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Loose primers are one of the signs that the brass is wearing out .
    Look for primers that just fall out onto the floor ... those are ready for retirement !
    Look out for Leaking Gas Pressure around a primer ... black soot ... those are retirement ready .
    If they don't fall out or leak pressure ... keep on keeping on !
    Gary
    This is what I am driving at, if they stay in long enough to shoot but fall out after being shot, are they still usable. Even if they leak pressure, is that a problem if using black powder. Thinking of original Sharps rifles with paper cartridges and other early breach loaders. They leaked pressure but that was consider normal?

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    This is what I am driving at, if they stay in long enough to shoot but fall out after being shot, are they still usable. Even if they leak pressure, is that a problem if using black powder. Thinking of original Sharps rifles with paper cartridges and other early breach loaders. They leaked pressure but that was consider normal?
    Tim
    IMO, anything that leaks gas towards the shooter is a "bad" thing. Personally, I want the pressure where it does the most good, pushing the projectile away from me. Secondly, regarding paper cartridges, etc., remember, these were "technologies of the time." The self-contained cartridge was a vast improvement over the percussion firearms. Both in ease/speed of reload, but in harnessing the power available in BP.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a true BPE case with a Boxer primer. I'm wondering what you have. Are they headstamped?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

FWIW, I am with Griff on this one -safety first and consistancy from shot to shot second. Maybe that does not matter to you, but those leaks can mean misses in match shooting.
    some time ago ( several years) I bought from a guy on the net some "adapter rings" to convert old Berdan cases to modern boxer. the ring was a hollow cylinder, deep enough to completely surround the entire primer. They had to be set with a custom made punch and then the Berdan primers drilled out -or center hole at least. So, somebody could make something like that for you. You will want a bottom hole reamer as well to uniform the holes prior to seating the adapter.
    Tedious and pricy, but your cases are not cheap either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I've never seen a true BPE case with a Boxer primer. I'm wondering what you have. Are they headstamped?
    The ones with the loose primer pockets are headstamped "BELL 450 BASE NE" I have other brass and they are all 450 NE brass some for Boxer primers from Hornady and HDS and some for Berdan primers from Eley, Kynoch and Rigby.

I have never seen any brass headstamped BPE
    Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    FWIW, I am with Griff on this one -safety first and consistancy from shot to shot second. Maybe that does not matter to you, but those leaks can mean misses in match shooting.
    some time ago ( several years) I bought from a guy on the net some "adapter rings" to convert old Berdan cases to modern boxer. the ring was a hollow cylinder, deep enough to completely surround the entire primer. They had to be set with a custom made punch and then the Berdan primers drilled out -or center hole at least. So, somebody could make something like that for you. You will want a bottom hole reamer as well to uniform the holes prior to seating the adapter.
    Tedious and pricy, but your cases are not cheap either.
    Well match shooting this is not. It is a Belgian made double rifle. I am not seeing any gas leaks with the loose primer pockets but was wondering, even if I get some gas leaks, is it really an issue. I have Berdan primers for my Berdan cases so I will not be messing up those primer pockets. I am pretty sure I have a technique to tighten up the loose pockets but I am not going to bother until I get enough to be worth the trouble, might just set the two aside and I only have 8 total with that headstamp.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    FWIW, ...some time ago ( several years) I bought from a guy on the net some "adapter rings" to convert old Berdan cases to modern boxer. the ring was a hollow cylinder, deep enough to completely surround the entire primer. They had to be set with a custom made punch and then the Berdan primers drilled out -or center hole at least. So, somebody could make something like that for you. You will want a bottom hole reamer as well to uniform the holes prior to seating the adapter.....
    I have converted other brass from Berdan to Boxer. It is way easier than what you described. I just drill a small hole through the anvil in the primer pocket and then use a larger drill and drill until the anvil is gone but not through the web and then I open up the small hole to a size that will allow a decapping pin to pass. These were 7.62x25 and regular small pistol primers fit but I would have no problem making small hollow cylinders to use as a bushing to get other primers to fit other pockets. I have a lathe and oh so many kinds of stock to make them from. Could actually start with a case with the primer pocket you want and turn down the head until you get to an OD that is a press fit in the pocket you are trying to bush.
    Tim