MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MCD ProductsRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication

Thread: WiFi at the range

Boolit Master

WiFi at the range

Here is an off the wall question for you folks. At my gun club we use an online liability waiver system. This keeps the paper work down at matches. We use a Starlink system in the range masters shack. We need to extend the range of the wifi so match directors can check if all the shooters have signed waivers (yes there are too many lawyers in the world).

Have any of the ranges you shoot at solved this problem? We don't have power running around the range so it would need to portable or solar powered.

Another plus to getting this fixed would be I can check Castboolits while I am shooting
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Don't need no Wi-Fi at the range. I go there for the same reason I ride a motorcycle, not to be bothered by that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Don't need no Wi-Fi at the range. I go there for the same reason I ride a motorcycle, not to be bothered by that ****.
    That's it right there....
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Best thing to do would be to log in with their phone if they can get connected. They could also use there phone as a hot spot to log on with a lap top etc.

Boolit Master
    While I don't use wifi at the range, I certainly wouldn't let that prevent me from providing a useful response to the OP in a thread like this.

Foesgth, I think what your range may need is commonly called a wifi "extender" but I'm no wifi guru. The only ones I'm aware of typically use a cat5 cable back to a network switch, so I'm not sure if that would work as you describe the range situation. With no power where you need the wifi extended to, it's unlikely you'd have a convenient means of running a cat5 cable back to the range master's shack.

Your range may want to hire someone, either to consult, or just to do the whole enchilada.

Boolit Master

You can buy wireless extenders or the mesh systems , I got the package for house so I can have better service upper floor and downstairs , they usually have a cat 5 connection on them to plug into also .

Boolit Master
    Find out if the club has a old wifi router

a newier one will have dual band

802.11ax-( Or ac) Ethernet Wireless Router - Dual Band - 2.40 GHz ISM Band - 5 GHz UNII Band

it will give you better distance than one of the older routers

Boolit Buddy

My range has wi-fi and for the old folks paper to sign.

Learned something new today.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

What distance do you need from the base receiver and does it need to run 24/7 or just for a few hours during a match?

Lots depend upon distance. You could place a router in a covered spot outside if within 100 to maybe 200 feet from the range to the current internet. Run ethernet cable to it (and power).
    I've got old router in basement and I can pick up signals at least 100 feet away.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

You could try a directional wifi extender like the TP-Link CPE710.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Moderator Emeritus

We use the Orbi extenders and I also have Starlink. I can get about 75' to my workshop which can get iffy at times. I have heard about mesh extenders but I am not up on that stuff and have to wait until after my next back operation next month before we do anything else. I do need more area coverage .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Best thing to do would be to log in with their phone if they can get connected. They could also use there phone as a hot spot to log on with a lap top etc.
    This would be great but we are in a canyon and have no cell service.
    This has become an issue because of a recent event. A shooter showed up for a match with his 2 kids. No problem there. He said he had done the liability waiver, he had not done it. His wife had a restraining order saying he couldn't take the kids shooting. Without a waiver the club became involved in the dispute. Our modern world is often not fun.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    There are lots of options for extenders, access points, and mesh systems. It's hard to really recommend something without knowing what your existing networking hardware and topology looks like, though. I'd hate to see you guys spend a bunch of money and still end up with something that doesn't meet your needs. Do you have a club member that's techy that could help? At the end of the day, the best bet may be to hire a local IT guy to advise.

Look into a Mesh system it do what you want

Boolit Master
    Fob?
    Fobs are cheap and easy.
    No fob, no gate.
    Trouble is, people can hack a fob.
    Never mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Low tech… Require all shooters to register for the match at the club house. Hold the shooter meeting at the club house, assign squads after the meeting and then shooters proceed to the ranges.

Alternate if there are no squads, register at the club house and ink stamp the back of a hand after the waiver is signed. No ink stamp, no shooting.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks