MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Commercial screw substitute for mold set screw and 310 handle lock screw?

Boolit Master

Commercial screw substitute for mold set screw and 310 handle lock screw?

You would think since Ideal and later Lyman used a set screw in every 310 die lock ring they made that using the same size screw for the handle adapter ring lock screw and the pivot screw set screw in the molds would be a good idea but apparently, they had a better idea. At least the lock ring screw is a #8-32 size but is there a commercial equivalent for the handle and mold screws?

A decent size hardware store should have a section in the nuts & bolts section with pull out trays of the little stuff.
    There should be one labeled 'gun screws' that has the odd ball sizes if one of the 'regular' little screws won't fit.
    I've had to take my part in and match 'em up before for different things.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have calipers measure the thread dia and then count the tread points for 1/4" and multiply this by 4. You now have major dia and thread pitch. A thread pitch gauge makes this easier if you have one. there are charts that will convert the dia in thousandths of an inch to the number size. IE a 8 32 screw is roughly .150 dia and 8 threads / 1/4"

Most of the screws are standards you can pick up as Ed stated. But some of the sprue plate pivot screws are shoulder bolts and you will want the shoulder length dia also on them.

Mc Master Carrs threads screw charts give these dimensions on line.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry TrooperDan, I dropped the ball on this. I’m getting ready for church in a few minutes, but I’ll try to remember to check for you this afternoon.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Formula for getting the screw number.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/f...ormula.151638/

Or do it the easy way and use a chart. Look at the major diameter.

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapdrill.php

Mcmaster Carr will have almost any screw you could dream up.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master
    Since Ideal designed a lot of their tools long before the SAE (1927 or 29 IIRC), I would not bet on anything having standard sizes.

#8-36 runs through my mind for a bunch of their stuff. I may be wrong on that, but that is also supposed to be the thread pitch for GI cleaning rods.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, they do like the odd threads. Such as the 39/64" - 30 thread on the Ideal 55 measure drop tube (Shh... matches the 310 die thread).

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

The national series covers a lot of ground with National Coarse, National fine, and National extra Fine. Then the metrics standards are the same. but certain industries come to mind like bicycles, 3/8-27 is a standard there. Fire arms are another that use special threads.

Have you contacted Lyman?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/contacts
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman has nothing for the old stuff, even the most recently ended powder measure that has been made for 100 years or so.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Starting with their acquisition by the Leisure Group a half century ago, Lyman has a tendency to toss out parts (and whole units) for items declared obsolete in favor of those declared newer and better. This has the result of saving storage space taken up by the old stuff as well as “encouraging” customers to buy the new product. I think this is what they teach at “Business Schools.”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Most industries now remove parts that have sat on the shelf X number of years so they arnt paying taxes on inventory,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Since Ideal designed a lot of their tools long before the SAE (1927 or 29 IIRC), I would not bet on anything having standard sizes.

#8-36 runs through my mind for a bunch of their stuff. I may be wrong on that, but that is also supposed to be the thread pitch for GI cleaning rods.

Robert
    The military issue M16/M4 cleaning rods and brushes are 8-36 TPI; all other small arms rods and brushes are 8-32 - the same as commercial cleaning rods.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.