WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Tried re-fletching some arrows

Tried re-fletching some arrows

Been amassing a collection of arrows with broken vanes or fletchings. Really like actual feathers over plastic vanes so picked up a jig at Bass bro and a bag of fletchings. And just clamped it to one of the desks in the reloading room. Fletching weren't exactly the one shape or color I wanted wanted pink barred one with like a shark fin cut) but they look neat enough. Wasn't that hardest thing in the world, tiny learning curve but by the 4th one think they came out decently

They seem to shoot pretty decent out the compound and recurve

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Started fletching my own a few years ago as well. Much cheaper building arrows than buying them. I buy fletchings off Amazon and some cheap carbon shafts for the recurve. For the compound, I use victory gamer shafts with brass inserts and use Bohning fletchings. I have a very similar setup to yours from BPI for a jig. And I think we have the same bow, Diamond Edge 320. If you get the Bohning glue, it comes with several very fine tips to keep the glue mess to a minimum.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Blitzenburger Jig with a straight vain for my recurve crossbow much better arrow than what you can buy and 1/4 the price ,I used to shoot a Black Widow take down but after a bike crash I can no longer spend the time time needed to make good kill shots with a traditional recurve or compound but with the crossbow they're in trouble ,

Cool.

I used to have a crossbow and made the bolts for it.
    I had a old school fletching tool and used chicken feathers I got from a cousin that raised them and some
    turkey feathers I found while deer hunting.

I found out you need a really good pair of scissors to trim them right.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Great Job ! You have some nice bows ...
    The fletching jig sure does help ... Nice Arrow making , you got the knack !

I got into Archery ... a long time ago with a Bear Polar LTD compound and a fletching jig to make my own arrows , I still have everything ...
    ... And ... if the price of powder and primers keep going up ...
    I'm getting out my Polar LTD and goimg back to shooting arrows !!!

It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed making my own arrows !

Thanks for posting ... it made me smile !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Those look just fine,, and apparently shoot good too!

I also learned to fletch my own arrows long ago. It's another one of those little skills that when done right,, just makes you smile!

Boolit Buddy
    Great job fletching! I got into re-fletching because between myself and our two daughters, we were losing "shootable" arrows too fast. I borrowed a jig at first, then Santa (daughters) bought me a nice jig and haven't looked back. I do them for people at work and other places that need a few arrows repaired. Like most tasks, preparation is key. Make sure everything is clean and de-greased. I usually use the gel type of adhesive.

Boolit Master
    Back in 1967, I got a new recurve bow, a Bear Grizzly. I also bought the components to make 24 new wooden arrows. Although I no longer have the bow, I still have a few of the arrows and the tools I used. A feather burner was great, to trim the fletching
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240622_095912_resized.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	327779
    Last edited by CastingFool; 06-22-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I did a lot of arrows over the years, both for hunting and movie props.
    My favorite personal arrows, I used a Blitzenburger jig to cut sections from different colored feather vanes, section them to fit together, and then glue to the shafts. Quite distinctive. They brought a premium price when I would make enough to sell.

This is one guy's example.
    https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f7/0c/1d/f...32db0fb834.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f70c1db34e60befa62788e32db0fb834.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	327780
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!