WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to still use traditional lube?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I like having options as I lube and powder coat. I get better results on some weapons with one or the other. Also, my powder coated boolits don't oxidize in long term storage.

Slim
    Pretty easy to achieve that with traditional lubes bullets too. I store mine in jars or jugs..i have some 20 year old or older... Anything I mass produce and store gets a thin tumble lube even if it gets traditional lube. Doesn't oxidize once lubed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    That was my thinking as well; over the last few years I have been trying to add to my capabilities with things that do not require electricity.
    That's a big plus...no power needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "tried them both extensively under controlled conditions - + i found there was no verifiable benefits at all to powder coating - found it more expensive, more time consuming, + more complicated - never had a leading, smoke, or any other problems during decades of using liquid alox [or traditional lube applied with a 450] in all rifle + pistol cast bullet loads"

I'll certainly agree with that statement.
    most long time, experienced castors will totally agree - i have never found any cast bullet application or loading spec. using PC that give performance even coming close to properly applied alox - tried on .32acp, .32 S&W short + long .38 S&W, .38 spec., 7.63 Mauser, 9mm Luger, 9mm largo .38 super, 30/30, + 30.06 in both mild + higher velocity cast -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 06-20-2024 at 11:32 AM. Reason: dspelling
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    I may be something of an outlier here, but I find making the ammunition more fun than using it.

I powdercoat, tumble lube and pan lube just because I like doing it all three ways.

I do not have a heated lubrisizer because I use a wide variety of stuff but not a lot of any one in particular except maybe 9mm and I stopped trying to cast for that a it never worked out for me. I also do not have a reloading bench, my Lee press is actually bolted to a sawhorse.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    Because it’s quicker, easier, I already have the equipment, and it’s less physical work. I know it might not be much physical work but considering I just ruptured bicep tendon and I got all I could do to hold a glass of water I’m not doing a heck of a lot of shaking and bacon.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    I came back home
    after coating everything I have came back to my Lyman 450 and traditional lubing
    it's just easier and cleaner and faster, it also helps when your gun that you are shooting can shoot the boolits without leaving a coating of lead in the barrel, of course everything has to be just rite for that to happen and apparently it is
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

That Lube-Sizer will still seat gaschecks very nicely. But other than that, not really much of a reason to keep it once you've switched to PC.

Regardless of what some of the die hards on here tell you, there is absolutely no comparison between lubing/sizing and PCing. PCing is superior in every way, and takes less or equal amounts of time.

But... You something could happen where you can't get PC. Things happen... But, if you shoot BP Cartridges, maybe use it for that?
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you find that those who were Lube/sizing before PC was even thought of...still do it...and like it.. Those who never really relied on, or depended on, lube/sizer... love PC, because that is where They came from...
    All Good, long as we all shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Looks like you find that those who were Lube/sizing before PC was even thought of...still do it...and like it.. Those who never really relied on, or depended on, lube/sizer... love PC, because that is where They came from...
    Then there's those who'll tell ya,
    "Ahhh,, that PC stuff is just another fad like moly coating everything or cryo. treated barrels was.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

If you ever might want to shoot true Black Powder ammo youll need a traditional lube as with BP lubes not only lube the bullet but are a big part of fouling control, Keeping the fouling soft and greasy.

Boolit Man
    I went through the same scenario you are going through about a year ago. I started many years ago casting and traditional lubing bullets. I had 2 Lyman 450s, a heater plate, and a whole bunch of other traditional lube items. I started powder acting about 5 years ago and haven't looked back, especially with pistol bullets. I sold all my Lyman tools and other stuff at a firesale price thinking "I'm never going to use this again".

All was well and good until the last 4 months or so when I started playing more intensely with PC'ing rifle bullets especially my big bores like 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, 470 Nitro Express. I had some good loads worked up and wondered if a gas check in addition to PC would be more accurate.

That's when it hit me-I have no way to seat gas checks easily. Yep... you guessed it, I bought another Lyman 4500 from an auction and now have what I need to accomplish that task.

Lesson learned, YMMV

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    All Good, long as we all shooting!!!
    jmho re . posts # 3,13,14,+15 - tried both under strictly controlled testing conditions like others + have not ever found anu verified advantage to PC, but it has already noted disadvantages -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    The bad thing about lube is, its messy, dirt sticks to it, lots of smoke, fouls the air on indoor ranges, vaporizes some of the lead.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - for Auto Pistol Loads - IT VERKS( (Decades after ddecades/.....)

If you shoot a suppressor....P/C is where it's at. MUCH cleaner. ....I shoot a p/c'd lead bullet through my sealed can for subsonic 223 loads. NO WAY would I put a traditional lubed bare lead bullet through a sealed can. ....'The dip' is nasty.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    I prefer PC because it just works better in my applications. In rifle bullets I usually swirl lube the PC'd bullets with 45-45-10. So basically, I do both.

Boolit Master

I still use it for both rifle and pistol loads because it works. As the saying goes: "if its not broke don't fix it".
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeMan View Post
    I'm in a summer cleaning mood and started piling up stuff in my reloading room that I no longer use, and my eyes settled on my Lyman 450.
    >>>SNIP
    well, if you got the dies and TPs, it seems like a more logical idea would be to pack up everything related to the 450, that you won't be using for other processes...and just put that box in storage, back of closet, or where ever.

I have bunch of lubesizers and even if I quit casting, and tried to get rid of everything, I still think I'd keep my favorite lubesizer and some dies...cuz ya just never know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    I have come to the conclusion that whatever way you enjoy doing, PC, lube or both at the same time, whatever works for you, and you enjoy doing is the right way.
    You don't need me or anyone else to tell you how wrong you are doing it.
    If you are happy with the results, that is what's important.
    I don't think I'm going to give up on either method.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I came back home
    after coating everything I have came back to my Lyman 450 and traditional lubing
    it's just easier and cleaner and faster, it also helps when your gun that you are shooting can shoot the boolits without leaving a coating of lead in the barrel, of course everything has to be just rite for that to happen and apparently it is

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!

Gary

Let's Drink On That White Eagle !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"