Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I 11 degree cut my forcing cone or polish it?

Should I 11 degree cut my forcing cone or polish it?

My GP100 is among my favorite revolvers and it has pretty much perfect chambers at .357.

Would it benefit for me to cut the forcing cone to 11 degrees? Also does polishing the forcing cone help? I saw a guy polish his forcing cone with valve lapping compound.

Boolit Master
    If it shoots good the way it s, don't mess with it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

If it ain't broke ... Fix It !

Actually ... I would get advice from DougGuy ... he knows way more about forcing cones than I do ... I can advise you on Ice Cream Cones ... I have years of experience with those !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    11-degrees won't clean forcing cone angle of GP100. You will wreck it!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    11-degrees won't clean forcing cone angle of GP100. You will wreck it!
    What do you mean?

I've only ever shot fmj or plated in this revolver. But I would like it to be a lead shooter mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    What do you mean?

I've only ever shot fmj or plated in this revolver. But I would like it to be a lead shooter mainly.
    GP100 forcing cone is shallower angle than 11 degrees so the 11-degree reamer will enlarge the forcing cone opening and not clean up tool marks.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I tend to go real easy on modifications like that.
    I figure the folks that designed and built it know a lot more about what & why they did something than I ever will.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Doesn’t Ruger cut theirs at something close to 5 degrees, and very shallow? Looks like a slight chamfer rather than a cone. I can’t see how changing it to 11 degrees would wreck it, and it would cut away all of the current 5 degree cone.

But that’s just my thought, ask dougguy.

Gwpercle, waffle cones are much better than sugar cones!

11 degree + polishing showed no improvement under controlled test conditions on the only one i tried, S&W 10-4 -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

I would test it first with cast bullets before modifying it. My security six performs well with cast and jacketed both as it came from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would test it first with cast bullets before modifying it. My security six performs well with cast and jacketed both as it came from factory.
    How do you tell if it needs to be adjusted? Bad accuracy and leading or what?

How do you tell if it needs to be adjusted? Bad accuracy and leading or what?
    Visual inspection. Circumferential tool marks. Leading.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

11 degrees will only address the first bit of the existing cone, and you got this longer section of 5 degree cone in front of that 11 degree part. If you rent a forcing cone cuter kit, they typically have a 5 degree cutter and also a 5 degree brass lap, along with the 11 degree cutter and lap

Get the barrel really clean, poke the 5 degree lap into the existing FC, and see if you can wiggle back and forth. If so, that means your existing FC A.) may not be cut on 5 degrees, or B.) the barrel isn't clean of all fouling and lead.

If the 5 degree lap goes into the barrel until it stops, and the loose part is near the entrance to the barrel, FC angle is greater than 5 degrees. If it bottoms out at where the forcing cone would be and the end in the barrel is not tight, that means the part right there at the entrance to the barrel is the tight spot. Use the lap and observe how it moves before you decide on cutting.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I don't know if this tells you guys much or not. But if so...Opinions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240620_171539.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

I don't know if this tells you guys much or not. But if so...Opinions?

That's a shallow angle like 5 degrees. You need the cutter that matches that degree to do any cleanup. 11 degrees will only widen the part at the fire ring it won't clean up any of those tool marks past what the 11 degree cutter reaches in and cuts. You would be weakening the barrel for one, and removing metal where it doesn't need to be removed. You cannot "fix" a 5 degree forcing cone with an 11 degree cutter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug,

What about some valve lapping compound for a few turns to get rid of the tooling marks? Follow up with some metal polishing compound.

Lapping compound will knock off some of the high spots, but not remove the tool marks.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Doug,

What about some valve lapping compound for a few turns to get rid of the tooling marks? Follow up with some metal polishing compound.
    You could/should call Ruger and show them those photos see if they will take it in and fix it. It's a QC issue they may or may not address but if they are going to do it, DON'T do anything on your own just sweet talk them into handling it.

PS. Don't tell them it leads, don't tell them you handload you get the picture? Tell them it groups terribly.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You could/should call Ruger and show them those photos see if they will take it in and fix it. It's a QC issue they may or may not address but if they are going to do it, DON'T do anything on your own just sweet talk them into handling it.

PS. Don't tell them it leads, don't tell them you handload you get the picture? Tell them it groups terribly.

Doug
    Do you see anything that is wrong with it? What would Ruger "fix"?

I know what is coming...But there is nothing that I know of that is wrong with it. I was just wanting to make it better if it would.

Boolit Master
    Do you see anything that is wrong with it? What would Ruger "fix"?

I know what is coming...But there is nothing that I know of that is wrong with it. I was just wanting to make it better if it would.
    You need to decide what “better” means for you. I have a couple S&Ws that look worse than that but shoot fine, so I don’t bother trying to “fix” them. Nothing wrong with saying that it just bugs you that they aren’t cleanly cut, but if they shoot well do you really want to risk making a change?