Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to casting looking for a sizer

Boolit Mold

New to casting looking for a sizer

Long story short, I've been reloading for a couple of decades, but have been putting off casting for a while. I inherited a couple of pots (one Lee and one Lyman), a few buckets of ingots, and some Lee molds so I guess now is as good a time as any.

I always knew when the time came, I would likely buy a Star so I went right to their website....

So now my options are a used Star and buy dies and punches off the forum (i.e. Ammohead).

Buy a Saeco.

The third option is RCBS. I can likely get one at a good price, and RCBS has always treated me well, but I don't know if I am convinced by the Lube-a-matic II.

My volume loading is .32 (both H&R and .327 Rem), .38/357, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP.

Boolit Master

powder coat and use a lee push thru sizer, cheep and easy and no mess
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I powder coat and have never used a lube/sizer so I am no help. I just wanted to say congrats and welcome to the obsession.

Boolit Mold
    Seeing as I am starting fresh, PC might be the way to go. I've been on the fence.

I currently use .313 for the .32s and .411 for the .41 Mags. I do not see either of those as an option with the Lee kits. Additionally, my son is 12 and has been stressing my bullet supply. I can employ him to size bullets, but I'm a little concerned about the additional steps/time for powder coating.

Check out NOE. Their changeable inserts can be had over a large range of sizes.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...s/sizing_kits/

Once you get the sizer body, the bushings and push thru are fairly cheap. I use them from 0.172 to 0.460.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Some love PC others not so much. The point is if you get a lube sizer you can do PC without lube. With the push through non-lub dies you can only do PC.

For volume nothing beats a Star. I also really like my Saeco but some don't like the ergonomics of the Saeco.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

'With the push through non-lub dies you can only do PC.' Not true. Just tumble lube.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

or pan lube
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Read the rules for the section carefully as they are strictly enforced:

Put a WTB (want to buy) ad. in the S&S section might turn up a good used one & maybe dies for a fair price.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I second checking out NOE’s system. Especially if you’re going to have different calibers. You can fine tune to the diameters that work for you. Buy at least three size inserts for each calibre. The one you think you need plus one size above and one below. I have the full range for the calibres I shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never (yet) powder coated one of my boolits. With that stated, if I were starting out now I would look very hard at what it takes to do it.

Sizing and lubing with an in and out lubrisizer like a Lyman or RCBS unit is the big slowdown in my casting/lubing/loading sequence. Put the boolit in the die, press it down (occasionally tweek the lube reservoir handle) Raise it up, take it out of the die. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

On the other hand, an upside down mounted C frame press and a push through die is a very quick way to size tumble lubed or powder coated boolits.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Something to consider about Star sizers. I know this from experience. I have bought three sizers and had to return two of them because the sizer body was cracked between the piston tube and the lube tube. This was probably from using too much force but since magma is done you will not be able to find any kind of parts or support. These sizers are for the most part many years old when you find them for sale and the seals could be bad or parts missing that cannot be found. Just keep this in mind before dropping 300.00 plus on a Star sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    Or make your own sizer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240310_183512450~2.jpg   IMG_20240310_184318681.jpg   IMG_20240310_183528658.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Something to consider about Star sizers. I know this from experience. I have bought three sizers and had to return two of them because the sizer body was cracked between the piston tube and the lube tube. This was probably from using too much force but since magma is done you will not be able to find any kind of parts or support. These sizers are for the most part many years old when you find them for sale and the seals could be bad or parts missing that cannot be found. Just keep this in mind before dropping 300.00 plus on a Star sizer.
    Plus one to this… while in business, Magma parts were expensive. Now they’re pretty much made of unobtanium. I have one original Star that is pretty much like new, and now I can only sell it to a collector or hard core enthusiast. I wouldn’t try to palm it off on someone just starting out casting.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    When I started casting I was doing just 38/357 and 45 Colts. Then I started rifles . To avoid gas checks I started paper patching.

Logically it made no sense to me to buy a $250+ lube sizer , lube sticks , and the individual H&I dies . The H&I dies (so called as that is the Lyman diagram number) cost as much as the Lee dies and I had a spare press .

Time passed PC became all the rage i bought last generation Herters and a Lyman 450 with 8 of the desired 19 and basic 12 .

Today I have more greased bullets shooting more accurately at near jacketed speeds . As long I don't get into spin failure it's not too hard to do .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=
    My volume loading is .32 (both H&R and .327 Rem), .38/357, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP.[/QUOTE]

I cast, PC and Lee push through all but the .41
    I use the Lee .311 and/or .314 push throughs
    .358 for 38/357
    .452 for both .45 ACP and Long Colt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Seeing as I am starting fresh, PC might be the way to go. I've been on the fence.

I currently use .313 for the .32s and .411 for the .41 Mags. I do not see either of those as an option with the Lee kits. Additionally, my son is 12 and has been stressing my bullet supply. I can employ him to size bullets, but I'm a little concerned about the additional steps/time for powder coating.
    You can order whatever diameter sizing die you want right from Lee cheap enough and quick enough too..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Powder from Smoke ordered today. As soon as I decide what I am casting first, I will order some push through dies.

I have many Lee push thru sizer dies. I also have the Noe sizing system. If I had to start over, I would go with the Noe system. It works fine, and is cheaper in the long run.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I’d either coat or pan lube then size with a push through sizer. A Lee APP is a great little press for this chore.