Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4759 Hard data for discontinuance

4759 Hard data for discontinuance

Does anyone have any hard information as to why 4759 got discontinued? We all have opinions and suppositions, I'm looking for solid info. In the meantime I have contacted Hodgdon.
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 05-26-2024 at 07:30 AM.

Why have several powders been discontinued over the last handful of years? I was REALLY diggin' 4166...then gone. I'm sitting on several pounds of HS7 that i will sorely miss when I meter the last granules.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

I see 2014 communications with Chris Hodgdon stating cost and technology.

Moderator Emeritus

in 2018, Ed Harris posted at CBA, "SR4759 was originally used for loading cal. .30 plastic frangible training ammunition and was discontinued when the government requirement went away. Trail Boss was/is a smokeless replacement for black in maritime line throwing and whaling applications, as well as for the propelling charge in 40mm grenades and explosive bolts for air ordnance. It will be around for a while, but I don't see cast bullet users being able to provide enough demand for them to produce SR4759 again without a government application."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I just bought four 8oz cans of SR4759 (all same lot#) a few weeks ago. I paid too much but, not any more than what other obsolete powder is bringing now. Actually, not much more than any powder is currently selling for.

Vendor Sponsor

This can go into your U-IQ (useless information quotient )
    Last century sometime I read that SR-4759 was chemically 4831 but without the deterrent and extruded into the short perforated stick that we know.

Useless, in that we aren't going to make our own.....
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I really like 4759 for loading cast lead boolits. Must have 40~50 lbs left. My cast boolit loads for 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, & 50-70 all shoot well with 4759. My 1877 Colt Gatling works with a Magma 385 gr 45-70 bevel base boolit and 4759 driving the boolit. I get a little smoke with my lubricant and the old surplus 4759. Almost looks like shooting black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    This can go into your U-IQ (useless information quotient )
    Last century sometime I read that SR-4759 was chemically 4831 but without the deterrent and extruded into the short perforated stick that we know.

Useless, in that we aren't going to make our own.....
    Isn't pretty much all IMR powder the same thing chemically? Just different shapes and coatings on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    I see 2014 communications with Chris Hodgdon stating cost and technology.
    If I remember correctly, it was being made in Canada and production costs verse volume of sales was the main issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I feel also lost with SR 4756 being discontinued. Used for many of my hand gun loads. Still have a decent supply.

Super Moderator

I still have a couple of pounds of it left. AA5744 is probably the next best thing, but not quite as good IMO.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was being made in Canada and production costs verse volume of sales was the main issue.
    The DuPont product produced prior to 1977 used cotton linters in manufacture of the nitrocellulose base material whereas the Canadian product is produced using wood linters which causes reduced effectiveness of nitration. This results in lower specific energy and the type and amount of deterrent must be modified to get the required specific energy in the closed-bomb tests. Bottom line is that burning rate of current IMR powders is a bit faster than the pre-1976 stuff. Todays 4895 burns like old 3031 and today's 4064 and RL15 are a closer approximation of 1970s military pull-down 4895.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Isn't pretty much all IMR powder the same thing chemically? Just different shapes and coatings on it.
    I will let you answer that. I don't have the data to know. Just repeating. The point being, it might be something that could be manufactured without too much trouble other than shape. I think we all understand if the market demand for SR-4759 would allow the manufactures to make money, it would be on the shelves.

I still have some and will miss it when it is gone.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 05-27-2024 at 01:29 AM. Reason: clarity
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the ‘90s when I started shooting 32-40 single shots in the Schuetzen game, I read in the literature of day that 13.2 gr of 4759 under virtually any good bullet from 165-200 grains either breech seated or fixed was a great place to start. I never found anything I liked better in my high wall.
    I gathered up all the 4759 I could afford ending with an eight pound jug of surplus pull down 4759 which I still am using only for my pet high wall.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    PS when the late Charlie Dell was doing research in causes of chamber ringing, he found that 4759 was the powder least likely to ring our old soft steel barrels. Another reason to use it!

Boolit Grand Master

I used it a fair amount thru the years, but I never kept much on hand. When I heard it was on the way out, I ordered 32 pounds from Power Valley. I should be good for a while.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It has been discontinued two or three times beginning about 1965, I think. It's popularity has been mainly with cast bullet shooters, an incredibly small segment of the handloading hobby which in itself is a tiny faction of shooters in general.

I have used a lot of this powder and still have some, but I firmly believe and have found that any powder can be replaced by one or more of the glut of powders we have available today. It takes load development, something many don't want to repeat after we have found a good powder that works well. I certainly understand that.
    Last edited by lotech; 05-31-2024 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    It has been discontinued two or three times beginning about 1965, I think. It's popularity has been mainly with cast bullet shooters, an incredibly small segment of the handloading hobby which in itself is a tiny faction of shooters in general.

I have used a lot of this powder and still have some, but I firmly believe and have found that any powder can be replaced by one or more of the glut of powders we have available today. It takes load development, something many of don't want to repeat after we have found a good powder that works well. I certainly understand that.
    I have been enjoying the Revisiting of Development!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Intentionally or not, 4759 had a combination of characteristics that made it nearly perfect for the old soft steel barrels found in our antique Schuetzen rifle. This especially comes into play where barrel ringing may be a concern. Also, lead bullets seem to play well with it. Other powders may come close, but this was the Goldilocks of Schuetzen powders
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-31-2024 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Clean up sentence

I love 4759. Works well in several of my rifles. I use it pretty sparingly. I still have around 12 pounds.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7