Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough times means less choices, what now?

Tough times means less choices, what now?

Hey all,

So I started reloading(on my own, with my own equipment) this last year. I have greatly enjoyed dialing in loadings, and the cost savings of reloading for 357, 44Mag, 45 Colt, and even 9mm, add up!
    But this year, I was planning to start reloading for rifle. Mostly 30-30, 45-70 and dialing in some loadings for 357/44Mag lever rifles. So straight wall. But where to go for rifle powder?

I have been watching trends about what is available, becoming available again, and assessing what powders are most versatile for my needs.
    Winchester 231 seems to fit most of my handgun loading needs at this point and time. So I've been buying up powder while I can. Primers as well, both pistol and rifle.
    But with the news about Alliant and others alluding to cutting off customer supply to non-gov contracts, it's caused me to take some pause with my powder selections.
    IMR 3031 was one I was eyeing, and my local dealer has some on the shelf. Not cheap, around $62/lb. Hodgdon has lots of offerings, and I have not seen them mention anything about ceasing delivery of items if they can make it.

I have brass, reloading gear, primers, lead/alloy, molds and can carve out the time, but powder selection seems to be more of a trouble!

Outside of y'all who have a lifetime supply of sundries, what are you looking at? For those of us who are needing to pick based upon not just availability, but versatility, are you planning to shoot less to save components, or will you be shifting to different supplies?

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    The Vihtavuori app is free. People overlook them generally. I’ve been heavily using them since 2020

When I needed to load something I didn't have the powder for-
    I'd do some research, make a list of what powder I figured could, or would work well.
    Then shop around and take what I could find.

Another option is find bulky powers that work well with cast.
    I shoot a lot of .30-06, and it's kind of pricey to load for.
    I ran across 'the load' for it and some other .30 cal. rifles.
    For .30-06, it only takes 13 grains of Red Dot. For target shooting at 100-ish yards,
    it makes shooting .30-06 affordable again.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not be looking at Alliant powder unless I found a bunch of jugs. In your situation, I would consider Shooters World and Accurate. I have not checked them lately so not sure if they are in better shape supply wise.
    Don Verna

Natchez, Midsouth and Powder Valley have had a pretty decent selection and if you wait for free hazmat deal they have occasionally it seems to be a good source.

Boolit Master
    Shooters World is another powder that you could look into .

Hey all,

Yes, the internet has certainly increased the amount of retailers, and I'm not afraid of sourcing what I need from where it's available.

But my original question still stands: are you condensing your powder choices at all, seeing that options might become more limited if particular companies choose the government cheese and cancel contracts for domestic/non-military customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    The Vihtavuori app is free. People overlook them generally. I’ve been heavily using them since 2020
    Thanks for the recommendation, I have downloaded the app just now. Will peruse it this evening. I keep a notebook with my load data(still need to save more shekels for a chronograph, dang these little Garmins are expensive)

Boolit Master
    Rel-7 works in a lot of small to midsized cartridges. I use it from 32-20 to 44-40 and 45 Colt. It also works in 45-70 and would probably be fine in 30-30 (although I haven’t tried it yet).

Like the OP, I use 231 in most pistol rounds, and it works well in light to midrange loads. I could certainly get by with just these two smokeless powders, if forced to choose.

Boolit Buddy
    X-terminator/ Accurate 2230 has load data on Hodgdon's website for 30-30 and hotter 45-70 in addition to a lot of other calibers. Their might be others with more cross over.

I think last memorial day Hodgdon had a 25% off deal. I ordered 2, 8lb jugs and the savings more than offset the HAZMAT.

I have been buying a fair amount of pull down powder but I don't think that would be a good idea for a newer reloader.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1269211785?pid=462938

I’d grab one or several of these, depending upon how much you plan to shoot, and how many years you think the drought will last. There is data for 30-30 and 45-70 on the app. Get as much as you can afford on one hazmat order so percentage wise the shipping cost is spread out. Vihtavuori used to be the most expensive brand of powder. This is cheap in today’s pricing!!

Boolit Master
    You have W231-- I works quite well in rifle up to and including 30-06 for lower velocity loads. For performance studies on some-- particularly lever-rifle cartridges, go to www.gmdr.com
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun88 View Post
    Hey all,

Yes, the internet has certainly increased the amount of retailers, and I'm not afraid of sourcing what I need from where it's available.

But my original question still stands: are you condensing your powder choices at all, seeing that options might become more limited if particular companies choose the government cheese and cancel contracts for domestic/non-military customers?

Thanks for the recommendation, I have downloaded the app just now. Will peruse it this evening. I keep a notebook with my load data(still need to save more shekels for a chronograph, dang these little Garmins are expensive)
    Yes, I have condensed powder types. I can reload for all my needs with four powders. I can hunt any big game within 1000 miles, shoot varmints to 300 yards, plink, produce self defense pistol ammunition, reload shotgun shells for hunting, clay sports or buckshot and slugs. All with four powders.

If you think you need dozens of calibers all running at maximum performance and chasing the last .25 MOA it will not be possible. Been there and have 27 powders to show for it. But 98% of shooters do not “need” that.

All my needs and wants that require reloadable ammunition are met with the .223, .308, 9mm, .38, .357, and 12 ga. Promo, Unique, H4895, and Varget are all I need. I have owned many more calibers and they are neat but not needed.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun88 View Post
    Hey all,

Rather than condense powder choices, expand them. Learn to load with a variety of powers, this way whatever is available, can be used. Why limit yourself to just a couple powders.

Boolit Master
    In these times of anticipated shortages, I'd buy only 8lb cans of whatever I found that gave the performance I was looking for. Any rifle load will eat a 1lb can way too fast. I've bought H4895 lately because it works well in mid capacity rifle cartridges and can be downloaded if needed for cast bullets. Also got a canister of Varget for my varmint rifles. Since I've gotten so into shooting full power cast loads in several lever action rifles, I got two 8lb canisters of LeverEvolution. Also got 8 lbs of Unique a couple months back for mid-power handgun loads. Thankfully already had a lifetime supply of Red Dot and Win 231 plus Accurate #7 and some military "pull down" powder for other general handgun uses.

Back when it was still available, I obtained two 8 lb. jugs of Promo, and still have about ten pounds. Also, picked up two one lb. cans of Herco while searching for a replacement for Unique.

In my experience, Hodgdon is good powder and available; you may have to try several to find the one that works in your gun. I was given a number of partial cans of Hodgdon rifle powder, and found that none of them really worked in any rifle I owned. Then recently my brother-in-law gave me an old bag of H4831 that I tried in my K31 Swiss, which worked wonderfully. The only cast bullet load that worked in my Interarms 30-06 used H4895.

IMR powders are still available for a price, and there are many choices. IMR 3031 is still a very good bet for medium-sized cases (308 Win, 300 Sav etc.) but is pretty versatile. If you don't mind experimenting, you can find one that works. It may be a matter of buying what there is on the shelf.

As far as pistol powder, Accurate #5 is becoming my new favorite.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

I am already getting the free hazmat with $99 purchase emails. Think I got Powder Valley, Midsouth, and think Natchez. Will be plenty of hazmat deals for Memorial Day, but don't count on prices coming down.

Mr Wolf is correct. If you need it this is the time to buy because it ain’t going to get better.

Boolit Master
    I went looking as if I had no rifle powder.

You mentioned 3031. AA 2520 and BL-C2 will do almost as good as 3031 in 30-30 and 45-70.

These are ball powders made at St Marks in Florida which seem to be much less prone to availability issues and have gone up much less than the extruded stuff.

Natchez seems to have better prices on these at the moment, for example https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/...e-powder-1-lbs

Boolit Buddy
    where are you finding H4895 ? Non obtanum in Metro Detroit or on line

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well long ago I worked out getting away with 2 powders . Unique and IMR 4350 worked out well until I needed something for steel shot ..... Then I added a couple of AR family cartridges. Unfortunately both of the steel shot powders are discontinued now ....... I added H322 and H4198 .

Takes me 5-6 powders to get by .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .