RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter won't melt

Boolit Master

Pewter won't melt

This pewter tray would not melt for me. I put a lot of heat to it. I even torched it directly and it would not melt. Any idea why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	326853

On the back it is stamped "Wilton, Mt Joy, PA, USA"

Boolit Buddy

If you got it up to 446 deg F and it didn't melt, it's not pewter.

Moderator Emeritus

I doubt that is pewter. Does it easily bend? Pewter for me, has a distinct feel to it.

Boolit Master
    My guess is because it’s aluminum. That black outlining of the cast-in decorations is pretty characteristic, as is the thickness, the crystalline, “castings” look at the broken edges, and the brighter, less-gray-than-pewter color.

Real pewter melts even easier than lead.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    It is probably Wilton Armetale which is aluminum based and you will see this stuff 10:1 in a thrift shop vs real pewter. All of those square trays saying "Give us this day our daily bread" or "Bless this house" are Armetale. Eventually you will be able to tell from a distance since Armetale is always bright and real pewter is usually more gray or slightly oxidized, and it is roughly cast where most pewter is spun and smooth. It feels different as soon as you pick it up since it is lighter and for some reason doesn't feel the same. Just about all pewter from the 1950's on will say "pewter" with who made it on the bottom but make sure it doesn't say Pewterex or something similar since they are aluminum. All Wilton pieces have a RWP makers mark so if you see a version of this put it back.

As a final test if I am unsure of something is to give it a squeeze or a little bend. If it bends buy it. This is good on the older cast pewter from the 1800's since none of these will say pewter and just have a makers mark. Research these before you melt them. Over the years I found plates made in the late 1700's / early 1800's that are valuable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	326854

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    At least you broke it into pieces. It won’t falsely entrap the next caster.

Boolit Master
    Thrift shops will label anything either pewter or silver. More commonly pewter. I've seen things clearly stamped "stainless steel" by the factory with a handwritten tag claiming pewter.
    Pewter bends easily, has no spring back, no thin and sharp edges, and does not ring when struck. Check out the pewter pictures and hallmarks thread. With a little practice, you'll be able to spot the real stuff from 20 feet.

Boolit Grand Master

You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to mistake Wilton pieces for pewter. Wouldn’t hurt to peruse the first few pages of the sticky linked in my signature.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I remember going to the Wilton store when it was in Flemington NJ. Quite some place but none of their stuff is tin.

Boolit Master
    whenever im out and come across pewter I always give it a squeeze and see if it bends. that aluminum stuff will not bend by hand but pewter always will

Boolit Grand Master

Wilton makes a big line of ... Aluminum Bakeware !

It might not be pewter but aluminum ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Wilton makes a big line of ... Aluminum Bakeware !

It might not be pewter but aluminum ...
    Gary
    Yeah, I got caught on one of those...... and there went 25 cents down the drain.
    I grabbed this big silver platter at a thrift shop that turned out to be very cleverly disguised Aluminum.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yep been there bought it. Neighbors had a garage sale had several pieces of " pewter " told them I cast boolits after the sale they gave me several pieces of the wilton stuff...wife uses it to decorate seasonal themes. On a positive note scored nearly 5 pounds of pewter goblets and a serving tray for 5 bucks that hadn't survived a drunken party that confirmed pewter does bend easily
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Buddy
    Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are the worst when someone says "pewter" plates or dinner ware. To most if it is white and metal it is pewter but 99% is aluminum Armetale. I don't think I ever saw some commemorative plate or serving platter that was made in pewter.

The worst time was when someone had a dozen of prized old trophy plates from some golf or tennis club and had them listed for cheap. I emailed them asking if they were actually marked pewter or if it had a RWP stamp. They emailed me back saying it was RWP and something about I wanted to melt them. They took their post down in a hour!

Note: If you see a beer mug or Christmas cup engraved with someones initials at a thrift shop 99% of the time it is pewter and 99% of the time it is $2. Who would want someone else's initials on their mug?

I do!
    Last edited by Delkal; 05-22-2024 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Stay home one night, and watch a movie: "The Searchers". At the beginning, and near the end, the interior scenes depict well loaded mantels over the fireplaces. Look! The gray plates are pewter, and the redish stuff is copper. If you luck into similar examples of either, don't melt the pewter, and don't sell the copper for scrap. John Wayne and the director John Ford were advanced collectors. Those pieces were the good stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yeah, I got caught on one of those...... and there went 25 cents down the drain.
    I grabbed this big silver platter at a thrift shop that turned out to be very cleverly disguised Aluminum.
    LOL! The "disguise" isn’t all that clever.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I don't think I ever saw some commemorative plate or serving platter that was made in pewter.
    I’ve had dozens of them and there are more than a few pictures in the hallmarks thread. Everything from baby spoons to serving trays has been made in genuine pewter. I've bought, melted and sold more pewter than 99% of the members here. I didn’t make that journey without having to learn along the way. It’s a rare scrounger that has never bought a bad piece.

Boolit Master

Wilton is a known source for "Pewterale" or some such, an aluminum alloy.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

2 rules when I'm looking for pewter...ONE...does it bend....and TWO....Does it have a hallmark. If one or the other is missing...I pass on it.

I suggest you start looking at the hallmarks in the hallmark thread...it helps greatly to determine good from bad.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-and-hallmarks

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan