Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: First go at forming 7-30 Waters brass

First go at forming 7-30 Waters brass

Buddy I hunt with asked me to reload him some 7-30W. Having never fireform any brass before, I thought I give it a try.

I neck sized the 30-30 brass(annealed first), loaded up with 12 grs of Red Dot, added flaxseeds until it filled the case right at the neck, and stuffed a 22 cal cleaning patch to plug it.

I didn’t want to use bullets in this ordeal. I felt it would have been a waste trying to convert 150 30-30 cases, and I’m sitting on about 15 lbs of Red Dot.

I have two sleeves of slight corroded large pistol primers for the bang button.

All in all, they turned out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you shoot them straight up in the air- and does roasted flaxseed smell good?
    The reason I ask, I recall roasted Maltomeal smelling ok when I blew out some 30-30 to 38-55…..
    My 7-30 shoots the fire forming loads pretty good with whatever bullet I’ve tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Do you shoot them straight up in the air- and does roasted flaxseed smell good?
    The reason I ask, I recall roasted Maltomeal smelling ok when I blew out some 30-30 to 38-55…..
    My 7-30 shoots the fire forming loads pretty good with whatever bullet I’ve tried.

All I smell is gun powder and a lot of it. One shot fills a three car garage. I’ll have to finish the rest at the range. I tried rolling on of my wife’s brand new beach towels over the muzzle so I wouldn’t have the Neighbors calling the law. Blew a hole straight through it.

I’m in trouble if she finds out.

Boolit Master

Uh oh!

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Blame it on the washing machine!

Boolit Master

Looks like a big old moth to me, james

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like you now have a nice stack of semi disposable dishrags. Cut it up.

Looks good to me. I got into T/C Contenders back in the the later 90's. Not sure what inspired me to get a 7-30 Waters, but sure glad I did. A few whitetails would beg to differ, great cartridge for the size deer and the territory I hunted with it.

Fireforming, I was on my own with zero guidance. I just read what I could online and went from there. There wasn't a lot of 7-30 Waters brass to be found in my area, loaded or new. I'll admit the first time I pulled the trigger to fireform one, was one of those grit your teeth moments.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

my dad (RIP) had a 7x30 Waters in a 14" muzzle brake Contender back in early to mid '90s. he bought a hundred cartridges of 7x30 factory ammo. then a few weeks later, we are at a gun show and i bought 500 cases. i didn't know at the time, that Dad bought 500 more cases. there was no need to reform 30-30 cases of which i had a plastic grocery full of 30-30.

the 7x30 is a really good deer gun, but i despise the muzzle brake. this year i'll take a 10" Contender in 30 Herrett as my deer gun. i have somewhere around 100 once fired 30 Herrett cases (made from 30-30 Starline brass)