Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .444 Marlin- Anyone still using one?

I have several Marlin and Winchester lever guns. I would ask what’s more important to you….hunting or target shooting? The reason I ask is the original buckhorns in my somewhat limited deer hunting experience were perfect for minute of deer and more importantly fast target acquisition and follow up shoots should it be needed. A rear aperture peep takes a slight bit longer to find the target. I can keep my eye on the deer as I raise the buckhorns on it. I shoot rear aperture better on paper though. The only reason I don’t have a 444 Marlin is I have a 1894 44 mag with the ranch dog .432 micro groove gas check mold at about 260 grains and I have the wonderful 1895 sporter 45-70 with pistol grip and 2/3 tube.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I have several Marlin and Winchester lever guns. I would ask what’s more important to you….hunting or target shooting? The reason I ask is the original buckhorns in my somewhat limited deer hunting experience were perfect for minute of deer and more importantly fast target acquisition and follow up shoots should it be needed. A rear aperture peep takes a slight bit longer to find the target. I can keep my eye on the deer as I raise the buckhorns on it. I shoot rear aperture better on paper though. The only reason I don’t have a 444 Marlin is I have a 1894 44 mag with the ranch dog .432 micro groove gas check mold at about 260 grains and I have the wonderful 1895 sporter 45-70 with pistol grip and 2/3 tube.
    What you're describing seems like you're using too fine of a rear peep. Peep sights are faster in use than buckhorns, but not if you use a small target aperture.

Boolit Master
    I have used a Marlin .444 (1980) to hunt elk. I have worked loads using the Speer UniCor(?) 300 grain and the Hornady 265 FlatNose. Using H322 accuracy was outstanding with either bullet. Recoil is slightly less than my 1895 Marlin .45-70, but the .444 is a heavier rifle. Using various manuals, my velocities pretty much match the books when using the top-end loads. I have loaded light loads using several different .44 molds, with .432 sizing working the best. The Ranch Dog 265 grain 44 mold sized to .432 works very well. I've used 4227, Universal and TiteGroup for light loads. H322 has given better accuracy than Reloder 7 or 4198 for me. I shot a six-point through the shoulders with the Hornady 265 grain, about 65 yards, bullet core made through to far side, found under hide when skinning, bull ran about 50 yards.. Load development done with 4.5-14 Burris, I hunt with a 1.75-6 Leupold VX3.

Boolit Master
    I have had mine for well over 30 years and have enjoyed it for elk and bear. I no longer hunt elk but dropped a nice little black bear with it last summer. I hunt mostly with 240 gr SWC with gas checks at an mv of about 1600 but have recently begun shooting 200 gr SWC-pb at about 1300 fps and have been pleased with its accuracy at 50 yards.

my 444 is a TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel with a Sapphyre laminate stock and a 3-9x Leopold. i shot 240gr Hornady XTP, 265gr Hornady FN, 250gr penta hp, 255gr Keith type SWC, 275gr Ranch Dog, 280gr LFN GC, 280gr WFN GC and 300gr SAECO FN GC. i have Trail Boss, Unique, 2400, H322, H4198 and Reloder 7.

i killed deer with the 250gr thru 300gr boolits and 1400 - 2300fps.

Boolit Master
    Ive had the Williams side mount aperature on my Marlin for near on 50 years ......and IMHO ,its a better sight than the Lyman ......made of ally ,and not traditional .......it has stayed put ,the Lyman on the Winchester 94 simply wont stay put ,and moves forward with heavy loads .......simple fact is aluminium has better 'sticktion' on the steel receiver than the Lyman .......and dont say screws arent tight .....any tighter and the reciever threads are going to strip.

Boolit Master
    the last loads was working up for the 444 is with mp 432640 seated deep so it will chamber in 444s and crimped with Lee FCD. I started with 47 grains imr 8208.

last year, my 444 shot a doe (140-150lbs) at 40 some yards. i used a 280gr WFN GC and Reloder 7 that goes a whopping 1937fps. i put the boolit 1/3 of way up, behind the shoulder (in the "armpit"). immediately it bled out the entrance wound and then she ran about 15 - 20 yards, bright red blood was splashed upon the trees and brush, and then she over dead. the back of lungs were destroyed and the bottom of heart had about 1/2" hole thru it. then it broke a rib or two and another 1/2" exit hole. i believe the boolit was Lyman #2 and a splash of tin.

i could take the velocity up to 2300+fps, but why? i shoot a nice comfortable load that doesn't make my shoulder feel like mush. the area i hunt, the range to kill a deer can go to about 60 yards and under. 30 - 40 yards is average. i'm one of those people that hate to waste meat, so a double lung shot is necessary. shoulder shots are good, but after killing and butchering many deer (most of them were shot in the shoulder and were cup-n-core bullets), i got tired of cutting waste meat and bloodshot meat away.

I have a bough new in 1969, Marlin early production rifle, without a pistol grip. Micro groove barrel the gawd awful open sights that cover a deer at 100, etc. So I put an old steel body Burris USA 2x on it using a tip off mount. Returns to zero every time.
    For game hunting I used the 4064 powder accuracy load from the Lyman 45-47 manual with 240 JHPs.

For Cowboy silhouettes I use very hard cas, water dropped Lyman 210 and 240s with 12 and 10 grains of Unique sized to actual groove diameter with gas checks and LBT Blue lube.The 210s hold 1" at 200 yards and are my shoot off loads.
    As has been noted, you need to only crimp to straight case so they feed 100% and hold the bullets in place, with cast do not roll crimp if you want best accuracy, a taper crimp works fine.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

ttd
    that's right about where I always place my shots if I can, right through the heart. They can run a long time with lungs blown out but blow the heart apart and they drop fast. A lot of people aim too high, likely just not realizing the heart sits low in the chest- not centered. My cousin likes the shoulder shot but I'm with you- no need to dick around cutting out bloodshot meat on a chest shot. might lose 2-3 ribs per side, hardly any meat there anyway.