Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I think it is Not what is in TP that makes better charcoal.
    In the processing of the TP.
    I think all the things like sap comes out or the processing makes it more evenly consistent.

Boolit Master
    This is simply my opinion, but I believe the TP gets to air float status more quickly and mixes better than wood charcoal - at least in a ball mill, so it makes a more homogeneous powder. The TP has been processed to death at the factory, but it’s still a wood product. The commercial manufacturers generally have access to heavy wheel mills and they achieve an “intimate” mix of ingredients with that method.

I did notice the TP powder was almost the same weight as Goex so the density is comparable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What would be in TP that toasting would improve. Why charcoal, is charcoal the best fuel for a KNO3 propellant for shooting?
    Tim
    It depends on what you consider best. Black powder is a fast powder that ignites very easily, but it is dirty. Of the kno3-based gunpowders, I like the golden powder, which is 60% kno3 and 40% ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Very easy to make at home and produces very clean gunpowder. The power is similar to black powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    It depends on what you consider best. Black powder is a fast powder that ignites very easily, but it is dirty. Of the kno3-based gunpowders, I like the golden powder, which is 60% kno3 and 40% ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Very easy to make at home and produces very clean gunpowder. The power is similar to black powder.
    In what form do you add the Ascorbic acid? That is an interesting formula. Has it been historically used by the military?

Boolit Master

And ... Are there references you can point to for further information please?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    HW;
    On my measures, and the measured vials which I put single loads in, they came out almost exact, to the lines, by weight. I don't have any Commercial powder to compare to, but glad to hear you came out with comparable density. Another + for this charcoal. So far, I haven't found a problem with it.
    We may not need the Mullers! Except, we'd be the only kids in town with one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    In what form do you add the Ascorbic acid? That is an interesting formula. Has it been historically used by the military?
    He peaked my interest.

https://pyrodata.com/PyroGuide/index...(Uncooked).htm

https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/t...golden-powder/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pyro/commen...thout_heating/

I haven't found anything yet about using it in a gun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I'm pretty sure that is what Shockey's Gold is, and other BP subs like Cleanshot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    HW;
    On my measures, and the measured vials which I put single loads in, they came out almost exact, to the lines, by weight. I don't have any Commercial powder to compare to, but glad to hear you came out with comparable density. Another + for this charcoal. So far, I haven't found a problem with it.
    We may not need the Mullers! Except, we'd be the only kids in town with one.
    DB, I have not given up on the muller idea - been kicking around designs in my head to hopefully simplify the build. I even considered using an old bowling ball and pushing it with a motor around a circular track.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    It's much easier than making black powder! In a pan, place the 60% nitrate and 40% ascorbic acid... add a little water to dissolve... very little. Place over low heat, stir constantly, the water will dry, continue stirring until the color changes to yellow. Pour the dough into plastic wrap to prevent it from sticking, as it cools it will become hard, just put it through a coffee grinder and use it! Golden powder has similar strength to black powder...or less. It's very safe and worth trying. In the USA there is APP, American Pioneer Powder, which is golden powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is what Shockey's Gold is, and other BP subs like Cleanshot.
    Yes, there are several manufacturers that use it. I've already made it and use it, it's a very clean powder, you practically don't need to clean it. Making black powder is just another challenge, there is no need.

Boolit Buddy
    From what I could find, golden powder has a slightly higher energy content than BP per grain weight and reduced fouling.

The downside is that it is hygroscopic.

Boolit Master
    I suppose the natural question is, why isn't everyone using golden powder? Other than the hygroscopic component, it sounds like the next great discovery that nobody knows about.

Ascorbic acid should be easy to source on a commercial volume basis and all the steps in making traditional BP don't seem to be necessary. Even if the AA is a bit more expensive, the offset in manufacturing efficiency and better performance should be a win-win for both producers and consumers.

I used to make rocket candy (KNO3 and sugar) and had been wanting to try golden powder but had sort of forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered a kilo of ascorbic acid from Amazon for $22. That will make 5.5 lbs of powder, so I'll get to play with it a bit. I have heard how clean APP powder is, and how you can use smokeless lube with it. This should be a fun experiment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    From what I could find, golden powder has a slightly higher energy content than BP per grain weight and reduced fouling.

The downside is that it is hygroscopic.
    You can make it even more energetic... just add 5% iron oxide. Then it changes to crimson powder. And to make it less hygroscopic, reduce 10% of the ascorbic acid and add 10% of iritritol (sweetener). I have to be careful what I say...the men in black can knock on my door...������

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I used to make rocket candy (KNO3 and sugar) and had been wanting to try golden powder but had sort of forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered a kilo of ascorbic acid from Amazon for $22. That will make 5.5 lbs of powder, so I'll get to play with it a bit. I have heard how clean APP powder is, and how you can use smokeless lube with it. This should be a fun experiment.
    Play around and tell us what you think! Tell us your experiences. As for golden powder being hygroscopic, that is more of an industry problem. I've had golden powder in storage for a year and it's perfect. All you need is a good, well-closed jar.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    Play around and tell us what you think! Tell us your experiences. As for golden powder being hygroscopic, that is more of an industry problem. I've had golden powder in storage for a year and it's perfect. All you need is a good, well-closed jar.
    So the 5% iron oxide replaces some ascorbic then? Is it 60-35-5? My interest here is actually using bullet lube with a heavy petroleum component to it. Can't use it with sulfur as it makes Tar, so traditional BP is out. Pyrodex has been OK but I can't make that. This looks attractive.

Boolit Buddy
    What's the ignition temp of this golden powder? Would it be useable in a flintlock? That's one of the downsides for some subs is that they don't work in a flinter without a real BP portion to ignite it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    So the 5% iron oxide replaces some ascorbic then? Is it 60-35-5? My interest here is actually using bullet lube with a heavy petroleum component to it. Can't use it with sulfur as it makes Tar, so traditional BP is out. Pyrodex has been OK but I can't make that. This looks attractive.
    No...5% of the total. It doesn't replace anything.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    What's the ignition temp of this golden powder? Would it be useable in a flintlock? That's one of the downsides for some subs is that they don't work in a flinter without a real BP portion to ignite it.
    I've never used it on a flintlock, as I don't have one unfortunately... (whoever has a lock and wants to sell it to me cheap, I'll accept it). But I've tried throwing sparks on it and it caught fire every time... you have to test it.