MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMCD ProductsInline Fabrication

Thread: .22 rimfire shell holder.

Boolit Master

.22 rimfire shell holder.

In light of a recent thread does anyone make a rimfire shell holder or is that a machine your own item? I have used Google to no avail.

Boolit Master

You might try a Lee Precision # 15 shell holder (22 WMR will fit in this 25ACP shell holder– sometimes a tight fit for the 22WMR depending on firing pin indentation). Not sure how it will work out for 22LR. The 22LR head is slightly smaller than the 22 WMR.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    In light of a recent thread does anyone make a rimfire shell holder or is that a machine your own item? I have used Google to no avail.
    I’m interested in knowing what you’re doing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    CH Tool & Die has them: Item# 40822LR

The 22lrreloader folks also have a shell holder as with a resizing die. Not sure if they sell it separately.

45_Colt

Vendor Sponsor

Old West Bullet molds have them and more.
    Chill Wills

I made mine, because at the time nobody was selling one. It was/is used with a Waltz-like swaging tool I made to uniform the bullet diameter of cheap ammo.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I made mine, because at the time nobody was selling one. It was/is used with a Waltz-like swaging tool I made to uniform the bullet diameter of cheap ammo.
    You are the reason I'm looking. I have the plans you made and sent to some of us. I am going to talk to a machinist friend and see if using the NOE size die body may be workable and require less machining. I already have their sizing kit.

Boolit Buddy
    In cases anyone is still looking. C and H still offers them, around 12 dollars plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax111 View Post
    In cases anyone is still looking. C and H still offers them, around 12 dollars plus shipping.
    Just received mine, just under $20, shipped.

Nice workmanship. Now to machine the swaging die and punch.

Tomorrow is trap league in the AM, going to a quilt show my wife is exhibiting several of her quilts at during the afternoon, then combine demolition derby with my daughter in the evening. She's a 35 year old teacher that has never completely grown up.

I'll get the swage die machined one of these days.

Boolit Man
    Here's a kick down this rabbit hole.
    I started in this endeavor making my own dies, shell holders, a lot of my own bullets, swaging them from lead, making the jacketed pills from empty rf cases, cast bullets from OWB, casting my own from a David Mos mould, modifying Lee molds, I purchased several thousand empty primed cases from Eley, Fed-Arms, etc. and prior to that I tried the reloading compounds - NOT a good idea - Reloading an already blown out once fired tiny thin case is a recipe for disaster. Had one rupture, tossed that idea, avoid the concept at all costs.
    Getting consistency in the crimp is key, getting the powder charge within .02 grains matters and your average reloading scale to read that accurate with a 2 to 3 grain charge is challenging. The lab grade Fx scales work well but they come at a significant cost. Did I see anything remarkable in performance? Nope.
    I dabbled in breech seating bullets, with a primed case using a charge of 4F and 5F black powder, Viht 3N37, AA #7, HS-6 and there was a slight improvement in accuracy. Considerable effort for mediocre gain.

Now, after all that is said, here's another path I've went down and I'm still lingering. Cutting Edge Bullets. They make reloading dies, shell holders and they sell the components to roll your own. Using their dies without a disaster takes a little finese` and if you decide to cast bullets so you are shooting lead rather than turned solids, I've had results that compare to Midas and Center-X, but time and energy spent doing this is considerable. My Mos copy of the UMC bullet shoots very well out of a couple different rifles, I've even swaged some slicks and paper patched a few pills, adds insult to injury as far as the labor intensity is concerned. Swaged some of these heavier (58 gr.) and shot them out of a 1:9 Lilja barrel I have on a Turbo, can't say downrange performance is any better than a 40g and 16 twist, except in a few conditions...
    Here's the link for Cutting Edge, it's only money and their products land first rate in my experiences.
    https://cuttingedgebullets.com/collections/curx-22lr

Hope this 2¢ worth of info helps someone.
    GT

Boolit Master

Raven Rock Precision has shell holders, dies, primed brass, cnc copper bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    CH Tool & Die has them: Item# 40822LR

The 22lrreloader folks also have a shell holder as with a resizing die. Not sure if they sell it separately.

45_Colt
    Another vote for CH4D. I'm a big Redding fan, but I really like the quality of CH-4D's products. I have a set of the 12ga brass shotshell dies and they are amazing.