Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sucess at last

Boolit Buddy

Sucess at last

My first attempt was pitiful. I used the cheapest powder I could get off eBay and it wouldn't stick. Then I got some good advice and ordered some Eastwood powder. I bought chrome, red and blue. The three from Eastwood that were supposed to be the best for shake and bake. The next think I got was COVID for the second time. Thank God it wasn't nearly as bad as the first but it sucked the energy out of my for a long while.

Now that I'm back to it, my first batch of 86g .310 boolits (it's a Lee mold that supposed to make 92g .311) coated in the chrome colored powder came out great. I set the toaster oven for 450 degrees for 25 minutes then watched a video until the timer dinged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chromebullets.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	318123

24 hours later I tossed in some blue with the remaining chrome powder and coated some .457 boolits for my .45-70.

These came out more chrome than blue. I'm not sure if I did any thing wrong... To me they look more like they were chromed then dusted with blue. They're still too hot to handle. If they're coated as well as the smaller bullets, I'll be happy...

Name:	CrB-bullets.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	318124

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Different colored powders don't "necessarily" mix homogeneously when baked.
    But the (oft-time "speckled") result is still just fine for shooting purposes.

Boolit Master
    Lt Blue and Red.

Name:	purple&red  clear.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	318125

I suspect if you mix them with something like a blender they will become more uniform. I just shook these in a baggie.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't say I'm unhappy with the look but I was expecting more blue... Maybe I didn't shake them long enough. When I added the blue, the BB's were already coated with chrome. I'll try shaking the BB's next time by themselves for awhile before adding in the boolits.

I'm using an old cottage cheese container. I'd like to have some of the coolwhip containers with the rounded bottom but I can't stand the stuff and no one in my family likes it either...

I sized the .310" boolits down to .309" last night. I didn't think to measure them again after the coating process but they went through the sizer very easy and there was no sign of damage to the PC... After I scrounge up another container, I'm going to try some in red. My .452 and .430 RN molds both drop boollits quick and easy...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Mold
    I'm using Ziploc screwtop storage containers to shake in , and I'm getting great results, and no low spots around the edges to trap boolets.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I'll look for some of those. I'd like to have one each for my 3 colors and a couple more for mixed colors. I don't really need more colors but not needing something has never stopped me before...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master

Be careful with them chrome boolits, the flash from the sun hitting them will scare the game.

Those 45-70 boolits should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post
    I can't say I'm unhappy with the look but I was expecting more blue... Maybe I didn't shake them long enough. When I added the blue, the BB's were already coated with chrome. I'll try shaking the BB's next time by themselves for awhile before adding in the boolits.

I'm using an old cottage cheese container. I'd like to have some of the coolwhip containers with the rounded bottom but I can't stand the stuff and no one in my family likes it either...

I sized the .310" boolits down to .309" last night. I didn't think to measure them again after the coating process but they went through the sizer very easy and there was no sign of damage to the PC... After I scrounge up another container, I'm going to try some in red. My .452 and .430 RN molds both drop boollits quick and easy...

Tony
    I have often mixed powders. It takes a bit to get all the old powder color out. So I keep them separate for teh most part. I am still trying to get rid of the # of HF red I bought, terrible powder for shake & bake. So I mix it with Eastwood. BTW, plenty of Eastwood colors shake & bake just fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Be careful with them chrome boolits, the flash from the sun hitting them will scare the game.
    There will be a glint in their eye just before I blow their brains out. I took my last deer with a head shot...

BTW, I went though some old boxes of kitchen stuff from my last move and I think I have some containers that would work. Also has anyone had any success with Tupperware bowls?

I'd give away that gray powder that doesn't shake and bake if I had someone to give it to...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Mold
    Look on the bottom for a number 5 in a triangle. That is polypropylene, which induces static.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Those chrome boolits dusted in blue are pretty darned cool in my eye! Has to improve accuracy and deadliness.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

It’s really hard to have homogenous mix with shake & bake…probably wet spray
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Nice job techno!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    While I didn't get as much blue as I was hoping for, I agree they look much nicer than I was expecting. I haven't been out shopping for awhile but I'll look for some of those Ziplock bowls. I like the shape better than what I'm using...

Now I need to cast more boolits to powder coat...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post

the store brand stuff is less than a buck on sale.
    feed the garbage disposal and save the container

.458 422gr & 44cal 280. Different mixtures. These plastic ice cream containers have worked great for me.The lids snap back on quite securely.

Now I need to cast more boolits to powder coat...
    Ain't that the truth! Casting and powder coating is my 'CRACK'!
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Save the buck, hit the neighbors recycle bin

Boolit Master

I use empty 1 pound powder bottles. They have worked well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle