RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Powerpoint - not chambering in 3 different rifles.

Winchester Powerpoint - not chambering in 3 different rifles.

Not the first time. 4 out of 20 WW 30-06 Power Points wouldn't chamber in my son's Savage. He tried the same rounds in his friend's Rem 700 and 7600, no go.

I reload his 30-06 but he went out for a day of shooting with his pal, so just needed an additional box.

Anyone else experience this?
    -Paul

Really interesting! So this is factory loaded ammo.......or fired ammo reloaded with power points? I did see where you reload his ammo, but I'm not clear at this point which he's using. Anyway, I'd apply a micrometer to the bullets to check that the diameters are correct for what they are represented to be. Next thing to look at is the overall length of the cartridges.
    Pretty unlikely that it's the rifle's chamber, since they won't work in the other rifle either.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Really interesting! So this is factory loaded ammo.......or fired ammo reloaded with power points? I did see where you reload his ammo, but I'm not clear at this point which he's using. Anyway, I'd apply a micrometer to the bullets to check that the diameters are correct for what they are represented to be. Next thing to look at is the overall length of the cartridges.
    Pretty unlikely that it's the rifle's chamber, since they won't work in the other rifle either.

DG
    Thanks for the question and the tips, DG. Yep, this is factory ammo. I'll try the micrometer measurements.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I now only load a handful of calibers and invested in cartridge gauges for them. Hunting and self-defense ammunition gets gauged and so far no problems. But if the factory ammunition would not chamber in two rifles it seems like it is not to specification.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I now only load a handful of calibers and invested in cartridge gauges for them. Hunting and self-defense ammunition gets gauged and so far no problems. But if the factory ammunition would not chamber in two rifles it seems like it is not to specification.
    Thanks Don. It's actually 3 rifles, two of his friend's, and this is the second time out with his 30-06 that it's happened, I think, with these WW cartridges. I load for him so almost never use factory but he was heading over to his pal's land and needed a quick 20 rounds. Seems so weird, as you'd think any factory ammo would be good for any factory 30-30. Never had a problem with Rem Core-Lokts. Chalk one up for reloading!
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Use a black magic marker to color the case and bullet. Chamber and extract. Contact areas will have the marker worn off.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Use a black magic marker to color the case and bullet. Chamber and extract. Contact areas will have the marker worn off.
    Excellent, will do.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If your chambers are on the tight side it can certainly happen. My dad's Browning BLR is like this.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If your chambers are on the tight side it can certainly happen. My dad's Browning BLR is like this.
    That's interesting. Thankfully we'll probably not be needing them again since we've a good load for his rifle now. Crazy, to me, anyway, that 3 rifles didn't take to them too well. Pretty low on the "problem' totem pole - just grateful autumn is coming.
    -Paul

Try to call the ammo mfg and see what they say. I had an issue one time with primers. I called the mfg, they paid the shipping and let me know the results. Some mfgs go the extra mile to help customers.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Try to call the ammo mfg and see what they say. I had an issue one time with primers. I called the mfg, they paid the shipping and let me know the results. Some mfgs go the extra mile to help customers.
    I did contact Winchester. They wanted me to send them the individual cartridges, and would reimburse only for those individual cartridges, according to the rep who corresponded with me. I told them this was the 3rd box, so this is an ongoing problem on my end (I long ago pulled the bullets to use the brass on the other boxes). Haven't heard from them since. Surprises me, to be honest, but could be the rep misspoke or I misunderstood him. Either way, haven't heard from them.

I'm not actually looking for reimbursement from them, was just hoping they might be able to tell me something about why the issue is coming up, in different rifles. From my perspective, I just won't be using them any longer for the 336.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy

I'm confused. First you were talking .30-06 in a 700 and 7600, then mentioned .30-30, then back to .30-06, and finally that you won't use them in the 336, which presumably is a .30-30. Maybe my brain isn't comprehending, but what chambering is the issue, 30-30 or .30-06, and in what specific guns?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    I'm confused. First you were talking .30-06, then mentioned it being .30-30, then back to .30-06, and finally that you won't use them in the 336. Maybe my brain isn't comprehending, but what chambering is the issue, 30-30 or .30-06, and in what specific guns?
    yip I picked that up to

I know of very few factory rounds that wont fit in factory chambers...they BOTH SHOULD be within saami specs mate had mauser .270 that would only chamber norma factory rounds...had very short throat... but thats about only one that COMES TO MIND.... take the box and remaining rounds back to shop where purchased and get them sent back...and while at it take rifle to gunsmith and try go/no go guages... it may be on smaller end and ammunition on larger end..

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    I'm confused. First you were talking .30-06 in a 700 and 7600, then mentioned .30-30, then back to .30-06, and finally that you won't use them in the 336, which presumably is a .30-30. Maybe my brain isn't comprehending, but what chambering is the issue, 30-30 or .30-06, and in what specific guns?
    Apologies. Won't go into it but my brain sometimes can falter in unpredictable ways. It's his Savage 30-06, 110. Same problem in his friend's 2 rifles, Rem 700 and 7600. It happened previously, with his Savage. Rem Core Lokts are the only other factory ammo we've used, no issues, and that was when he first got it. I've been reloading Hornady 180 Interlocks over 4350 since.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    yip I picked that up to

I know of very few factory rounds that wont fit in factory chambers...they BOTH SHOULD be within saami specs mate had mauser .270 that would only chamber norma factory rounds...had very short throat... but thats about only one that COMES TO MIND.... take the box and remaining rounds back to shop where purchased and get them sent back...and while at it take rifle to gunsmith and try go/no go guages... it may be on smaller end and ammunition on larger end..
    The previous boxes came from Cabela's, and this one was from Farm and Fleet on his way out to his friend's family farm. As I say, the Hornady's were loaded using a comparator and they're good. Not looking to recover anything, more just puzzled how factory ammo could miss on 3 different firearms - on more than one occasion, same ammo (i.e., obviously different lots).

Apologies again for the confusing posts mixing up cartridges.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    so if my memory serves me right..the power point is a long fat projectile... try the felt tip chambering thing and see where its contacting....if my hunch is correct it will leave wee marks on projectile itself.... where its touching rifling..... if its touching in chamber something is seriously amiss
    the hornady 180grn round nose is awesome projectile for bush hunting work sub hundy yards....loved it in the 308

Very unusual that factory ammunition won't chamber in 3 different rifles. Something is rotten in Denmark. I'd double check that all that ammunition is in fact the correct cartridge for the chamber. Particularly if these 3 rifles all have factory barrels.

so if my memory serves me right..the power point is a long fat projectile... try the felt tip chambering thing and see where its contacting....if my hunch is correct it will leave wee marks on projectile itself.... where its touching rifling..... if its touching in chamber something is seriously amiss
    the hornady 180grn round nose is awesome projectile for bush hunting work sub hundy yards....loved it in the 308
    I'll give it a shot, thanks again.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Very unusual that factory ammunition won't chamber in 3 different rifles. Something is rotten in Denmark. I'd double check that all that ammunition is in fact the correct cartridge for the chamber. Particularly if these 3 rifles all have factory barrels.
    I agree, it is weird. I would never have expected it either. I can confirm the previous times, they were WW PP 30-06 - all from the same box(es). I tried it myself when I was at the range with him. They wouldn't chamber.
    -Paul

These are the SP's, but interesting you mention the RN's because I've given them some thought for my .338 WM (250 grain). (I use both the 225 and 250 gr SP-RP).
    -Paul