MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy 1960 diesel

Boolit Master

where to buy 1960 diesel

I am kind of looking for a 1960 Cat or Cummings with manual fuel injection. Completed rebuild on it. Want to put in a B61 Mack pickup. I don't have an idea where to locate the motor. I am trying to stay away from any electronic components, computers and blonds. Can find lots of old locked motors. The Mack came without a motor.

If parts are available, one or two locked up ones might not be a bad option.

One in running condition that old might be pretty worn out anyway and need a overhaul.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you are keen,I like the small V8 Cats ...the early ones are a bit obsolete ,but the 3208s are still OK for cheap parts........quite light for the power output ,too ,around 1100lbs and up to 200+hp............the alternative was the small V8 Cummins ,which was not a good motor ......I had to suffer two of them in new trucks .

Boolit Master
    One of the cleanest/nicest conversions I ever saw was a 60's vintage Chevy pickup that had a a small Cat engine in it. IIRC a v-6. That was more than 20 years ago and my memory of it is a bit foggy. The engine was from a fork lift. The guy owned a forklift repair shop. If it were me I'd be looking on line at military surplus sites, equipment salvage company's and diesel repair shops. Somebody has what you want sitting there just waiting for your call.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can’t help you with where to find an engine, but I agree 100% to stay away from ones that rely on electronic components.

Boolit Master
    old tractor, equipment and flywheeler shows might be a good place to meet people who have that sort of motor. auctions is another good place to look, GSAauctions and govdeals and their affiliated sites have old engines come on the market all the time. I been too busy trying to make stuff from the 40's run right to deal with that modern stuff built in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I am kind of looking for a 1960 Cat or Cummings with manual fuel injection. Completed rebuild on it. Want to put in a B61 Mack pickup. I don't have an idea where to locate the motor. I am trying to stay away from any electronic components, computers and blonds. Can find lots of old locked motors. The Mack came without a motor.
    Contact Mike at 214 six nine three 4324. He will know.

Boolit Buddy
    A Mack B61 is a big truck - not a pickup. Post a picture of what you're doing.
    A straight six is a lot easier to put in one of those old girls - V8's kinda tight.
    My son and I are currently ripping an International V8 boat anchor out of our 6 yarder and replacing it with a 6 71 Detroit. Simple and easy to work on. Plus I get all kinds of advise on old 2 strokes from people who have no idea what they're talking about. With a 13 speed it'll be a little hotrod!

Boolit Master
    My experience of driving 6/71 s strait an V is they are dogs ......lotsa noise ,weigh over 1 ton ........the 8/71s are different ,enough go ..........but thats in 40+ ton gross ........anyhoo ,there is currently a craze for 2s Detroits ,entirely by these morons on U tube never driven a truck in their lives,but wanna make lotsa noise. ........funny thing is 20 years ago ,we were scrapping 71s by the skipload ,no one wanted them.

Boolit Master
    Anyhoo,choices for 60s/70s non emission diesels for a small vehicle is basically 6cyl John Deere,6or8cyl Perkins,maybe the 53 series GMs ....4/53 or 6V53 ........and the small V8 Caterpillars .......the early ones 1145/1150/1160 are well obsolete ,but the later ones the 3208s are plentiful and were sold up to the mid 80s IIRC............I checked up ,Cat did make a V6 in the series ,but few were sold ,and the motor is very rare.........Cat did make a 4 cyl by splitting the V8 ,fitted to some wheel loaders and crawlers -3204..........the 3304 is the standard D4D/D4E motor

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    You might get a deal on an engine from a deuce and a half that someone has removed. “Multi-fuel” loud and weak.
    The 12 valve Cummins engines were mechanical injection into the ‘90s and they propelled vehicles as large as school buses. Lots of availability and aftermarket parts for them. A friend got one from an airport tug.

Boolit Master

I have an old White tandem here on the farm. It has a 220 Cummins in it with a Fuller 15 speed road ranger. Its a 1960's truck with a broken frame. Motor ran strong! Trans has new gears in it. Would work great in an old B model. I can take a few photos.

Boolit Master

Those old Detroits were the most efficient way to convert diesel fuel into noise. Run 'em wide open and they were efficient and strong pullers. John Deere even put a 2-53 into their 435 tractor back in the '50's. Oliver tractors and Timberjack skidders used them as well. When I served in the Marine Corps engineers, all the heavy equipment had Detroits. Neighbor has a B model with a 6V-53 he uses on the farm.

Boolit Master

My dad restored a B-61 about 20 years ago. (Beautiful Truck) He bought a spare engine just in case. Sold the truck a few years back. Engine is still in the shed. PM me if your interested.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Mold
    I was a Cat mechanic back in the early 70's and worked on most every cat engine then moved on to head mechanic for fleets and heavy equipment until forced retirement over a back injury. I ran my own trucks on the side for years and now own my own machine shop. I restored a 58 b model Mack and installed a 675 Mack 260 hp turbo'ed engine, a double over 13 speed twin club, a freightliner 3.73 air ride rear, a later front axle, aluminum rims, jake brake, made my own power steering setup, upgraded the air system, air seat for me, flat bed to haul round bales for my goats, I owned and run an Autocar 260hp. with a 4x4 the twin clubs separate steering wheel holders and drivers.I also built a 32 ford pickup hotrod 302 ford powered, and have a 31 ford in the one garage for shows. I would find a Mack 675 and put it back in the truck but thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ot...i-tractor.html
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Nice daily driver right here!

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Nice daily driver right here!
    That was my thought too!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    It's hard to beat a Cummings large truck motor for finding in the first place and keeping it running. That's where I would start.

Cat makes some of the best built engines and they would be my second choice. The main draw back is price. If you want a one million mile engine, then take very good care of it and drive it your self and rack up the miles.

We own a 53' LJSW Mack .... with THREE sticks, a 220 Cummins, no turbo. It has a vintage fuel pump .... the Cummins double disk. They are super fuel efficient, just DO NOT allow it to run low on fuel as it will run away with itself! The LJSW has a set back front axle and ours is geared to top out at 52 MPH running a Mack Boogie on 60,000 pound springs.

You don't have to run fast when you can get the job done in ONE TRIP! LOL!

We drove our 53' Mack home from Oregon to Washington in the late 80's,. It was a real ride! One of the front wheels was so out of balance that no truck shop could balance it! We bought a different front tire, no change! After getting it home we jacked up that corner and removed the wheel, got rid of the grease and oiled the bearings, put just the hub and brake drum. It was profoundly out of balance! My father chucked the brake drum in his large lathe and turned several pounds of excess cast iron and sand mix off the lopsided drum. Now tried up the truck shakes no more!

Just think how many drivers were unnecessarily punished in driving that truck from 1953 until we discovered the factory screw up in 1987?

To the Op, I would look for a Cummings in the NH 855 category for commonality and ease of parts. That begins with a plain Jane old 250 Cummins on the early side, run right up through 280,290,335, 350 and 400 hp. I would shy away from searching for a 220 or 262 Cummings because those are getting scarce. If you find a 220/262 complete and running then that is better but blocks and everything else us getting so old. The.NH 855 are still on the road in the form of 350s and 400s and you can turn them down for your old Mack to suit your taste.

The 262 is a 220 with a turbo, BTW

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-17-2023 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    The thermodyne engine that came in the b models was a pretty rugged unit that made decent power , I much rather have it then a Cummins or Detroit .
    The 237's that came in the r models were some real torque monsters ... they are still cheap to buy , easy to find and cheap to rebuild .