MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Projector Press upgrade?

Boolit Bub

Hornady Projector Press upgrade?

Hello All,

Been a very long time and finally settle down and retired for good. Now to start back in the shooting hobby and reloading.

First thing I want to change out the retainer spring on the old Projector, and lucky I have on a new one left the old one kind of chewed up for some reason. But anyway I am trying to find more retainer springs, so who do I called and ask about them? Hornady and the guy said they don't carry that spring anymore it is obsolete; the only option is to do an LNL conversion kit or a trade in for a new one? I kind of like many of you guys think, my press is working why would I pay you more money for another press or I need was some retainer spring? Or maybe I can do a LNL conversion if it is not very expansive.

So, Guys and Gals of the forum, what is my option? where to order some retainer springs that don't exist anymore? Upgrade to the LNL conversion kit but have no idea what that is? Still waiting for the customer service of Hornady to email or called back. Trade in is out of the question since I am retired and on a fixed income.

If the springs are obsolete what is everyone that is still using for the projector press? is there a substitute? I seem to remember a while back someone was talking about some O-ring that will fit the need of a retainer spring. My mind is going blank..LOL

TIA

Boolit Master
    good question. you might call hornady back and ask if the shell plates you have will still work once you do a lnl conversion. midway used to stock lots of parts for hornady presses.
    when you say retainer spring do you mean the spring that goes around bottom edge of shell plate?

Boolit Bub
    He did tell me that the old shell plate would not work with the LNL upgarde kit. But I am still try to find out what is the upgrade kit? What does the kit consist of and can any joe do the conversion themself? LOL

I'd keep it and just baby it along.

The new shell plates are supposed to work on the old press.
    The spring going around the new plate is the same as the old one.

I've got a LNL and the quick change bushings for the dies are sort of a solution to a problem I don't have.
    Except for the powder dropper station-- I JB welded in the bushings.

In your spot, I'd get their new powder drop linkages and put the old powder measure on it.
    I kind of like the way it works compared to the old style.

The new primer feed is OK, until it isn't.
    Having had both, I'd stick with the old one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    O.K. Folks,

I think I fopund a solution to my problem maybe. I am going to 3d print the retainer band out of TPU material that way it is still flexable but strong. So I am going to try that route and see if that will work for me. I have seen another person that did this. But he wants to sell it. I am not buying it since I can print it myself. LOL Wish me luck. will report back later.

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a long time since I looked at a Pro-Jector. If I remember, the powder dropped everytime from a rod in the middle you could disconnect. I don't remember about the shellplates if they are the same as the AP, or at least the first verision of the AP at least. Converting to the case actuated powder drop should be worth it. You only need the drop, you should be able to use your powder measure.

When the AP came out (and there was even an upgrade to it regarding the ejection). I do know the shellplates for an AP with the upgraded ejection have a section milled (turned on a lathe actually) out on the bottom side. At one point I think Hornady modified them for free if you sent them back (or nominal charge). I know some people did there own but I think the steel is kind hard. And it would be cost prohibitive if you paid someone based on shellplate cost.

Here's the spring for the AP, 2 pack. Not sure if it's the same. And yes they get kinked up on the AP too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165196770?pid=196770

Boolit Buddy
    Here's some links to other discussions on other forums about the Projector. Looks like the new spring is smaller than the old ones:

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/my...press.1008168/

https://triggermeister.com/2010/12/2...vs-new-part-2/

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...dy-pro-jector/

Boolit Bub
    j4570,

As always welcome and thanks for the reply, I don't know what is the issue that you were talking about the powder drop? I have a powder drop with a bullet expander and never have any issue with it, just a bear to set it up right the way I wanted to. But once it setup then it is solid maybe a gr +- after about a hundred rounds or so, but I do keep my eye on it, also my loads are always in the mid of the chart so I think I can spare the 1 +- gr, now if I was doing some competitive shooting then I would measure the powder drop with a powder scale one at a time. But I am just plinking at the range so I don't think there will be any need for exact scale yet.

I also thank you for the links to some other discussion about the Pro-jector but since I was talking about it in the forum, I just had an idea that I can make some 3d printed retainer rings.

I did last night and tested out this morning, and it is working like a champ. so I am good for now till some other parts of the Projector needs attention then I will revisit about the upgrade kit. Since I have not even heard back from Hornady, I guess they don't really care to help any more since there is no money in help customer's with questions and where to look for answers. They just said that it is obsolete so buy a new one or trade it in and pay more money. LOL

So if any of you guys here in this forum needs some retainer rings for your Projector, I can help you out.

Thanks again everyone's input and suggestions.

Boolit Bub
    farmbif,

Yes the little spring that goes around the bottom of the shell plate. They already mentioned that the old shell plate will not work with the new LNL, buy lucky that just a couple of my shell plates are the new style since they are backward compatible.

But I think I have the solution for now, I printed my own retainer rings. They work fine a of this morning's test run.

Thanks again

Boolit Bub
    Winger Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I have already done the LNL quick lock upgrade and it is working. But I don't know or understand what is all the talks about the powder drop? That is having issues. I have a powder drop with a expander and so far so good, it is working good maybe a few grin of powder fall out once in a while but I can clean that up. But other than that my only real issue would be the primer station. it is a bear to get that align just right so I opt to have all my shell primed in a RCBS single station and make life a lot easier just drop in and not worry about the primer. I have just added the auto bullet feeder and make some addons and it seem to be O.K. but still need to adjust it some more since it don't catch a bullet sometime on the way up...so that may just be a adjustment issue

Thanks again for your input and suggestions.

Boolit Buddy
    Skyhawk23,

The older Projectors (early 1990's) the powder measure was not case activated. There was a rod linkage that ran through the middle of the press that lifted the lever on the powder measure. My friend had one. A lot of people upgraded these presses to the later style powder drop. The auto powder drop was pretty rare in this form. It might have been an accessory.

I looked at the manuals on Hornady's site. I see there was a Pro-7 too. Neither of these match the exact setup I remember.

I went with a Dillon 550 at the time. I still have it, but also have a LNL AP with ez-ject.

Glad you are having time to enjoy loading and shooting.

Jason

Boolit Master

I called Hornady and got the part number and found the upgrade kit on Midway's website product #161741.
    Thanks for the heads up about the kit! I have 2 Projectors and hated to see them sitting there!
    The older shellplates can be modified, Hornady offered the service for $10 per plate at one time.

The LNL conversion will fit the projector but is not a direct swap. The conversion was meant to upgrade older lnl presses with the ejector wire to the ejector nub style. If you haven't pretzled up the old sheet metal projector case ejector yet you're doing great. I was using standard LNL spring ring retainers on my projector up before doing the LNL conversion. There is also a rubber O-ring size that works, but you'll have to do a search for that. If you do the conversion you'll need to either replace the drive rod with one you make or modify the original to with with the drive hub or make a bushing to delete the drive hub. The subplate retainers on the ProJector are two roll pins, and the LNL uses two bevel headed allen screws so the ram needs modified OR you can drill two new roll pin holes 90 degees to the old ones. I have a LNL-AP and the converted ProJector and both of them have worn the drive hub enough that they needed replaced/shims to remove shell plate tilt. It looks like the die cast drive hubs have compressed or stretched v/s actual wear. Debating making a 4140 hardened drive hub for the LNL-AP and just swapping the PJ back to the original drive rod and drive hub delete bushing.

I probably should do an actual thread on it, but here are some pics of the LNL upgrade. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ector-Subplate

From a couple years ago, haven't been updated with the drive hub issues on both presses. https://www.gunco.net/threads/hornad...e-feed.117908/
    Last edited by Moleman-; 04-19-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Moleman,

Thanks it sure seem to be a lot more than what the CS at Hornady was saying. Little too much for an everyday Joe to butcher the conversion. LOL

Thanks again

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I look up th epart and it is the conversion kit but according to some folks here it is a lot more to it than just a straight-out swap.

I am good for now till my little retainer rings idea not working any more I am staying put and see what is up.

Thanks again.

Boolit Bub
    Jason,

Thanks

I'd bet you could find a 1"-1/2" bushing fairly easy and loc tite/pin/screw it in your subplate so you can use the same drive rod. That would leave you with the two roll pins. You could use a bar clamp or all thread to compress the subplate to the ram for drilling/reaming the offset pin holes. That's still a decent amount of work with the possibility to screw up. I have a pretty decent equipped shop with lathes and mills and was still cautious.

Too bad they don't make the LNL-ProJector subplate with the 1/2" center hole and the roll pins vs screw holes. Then they could sell a drop in ProJector upgrade kit, but they wouln't be able to sell as many new presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk23 View Post
    . But other than that my only real issue would be the primer station.
    The old style primer thing is kind of tricky to adjust.
    But you can watch it and see if primer gets picked up and moved into position to seat.

The new one is a little finicky too. My issue with it is that you can't easily see if a primer is in it.
    You have to feel it seat-- or not.
    You can't see when it runs out or doesn't pick one up. If one jams in thing-- it's a mess to clean it.
    There's no cut off. You have to take the primer feed tube off and whatever primers that are in it dump out all over the place.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Moleman,

Just an idea maybe you can supplement an addon kit for the conversion? since you have a good workshop with all the tools and know how. I would be interested in one if the price is good and affordable. LOL I am sure lots of us are in the same boat with the projector press.

I got this trick off of the Enos forum. I run 2 LNL's & use the O ring on both.

"I eliminated the steel case retaining spring and exchanged it for a rubber oring. The rubber oring size that works is 2.5mm X 69mm. on the LNL AP ez-eject presses The oring dampens the shell plate as it indexes, and the oring actually keeps the case within the shell plate much firmer, and eliminates harmonics and shake as its indexing. You can still remove the cases with ease during the process with the oring installed just same as you would if it were the original steel case retaining spring."