Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Throw

I am one of the nostalgic people, I have a hollywood with micrometer adjust It throws every thing I put in it to a tenth. And don't leak! Little tricky to adjust thou.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master
    I seem to collect powder measures, and I stopped counting at over two dozen. When loading the same, well established load, I frequently use one of my several fixed cavity rotary measures like the Little Dandy or a particular favorite, the old Pacific Pistol Measure. For precise powder measurement for cast bullet bench rest I like my Belding & Mull with a Starrett micrometer head upgrade to the drop tube. I also like my old Ideal #5 Micrometer measure, especially for stick powders like IMR 4759.

If I lost all my current measures and had to buy one for all measuring of various powders, it would probably be a small cavity Harrell, which is touted by many as the very best powder measure that is currently available. I have individual measures that are each good for a specific task, but IMHO, Harrell makes the best all around measure. They aren’t cheap, but you get what you pay for and they definitely provide good value for their purchase price.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I use a lee perfect powder measure. It leaked fiercely until I lapped it. Now it leaks less but still does a bit. I have found that it now doesn’t actually leak from the drum, but on the rotor where the wiper is, there is a lip. And a few tenths grain of powder will catch there. So you throw and it’s consistent then when you stop and bump the table those kernels fall out. It isn’t the wiper that catches but the lip of the chamber itself. I relieved mine with a razor knife, and then also opened up the drop tube at the top to be funnel shaped to compensate. I would like a better measure but this one does work well and with my tweaks, never offers any problems.

Boolit Master
    I have several different powder measures, and none of them leak. I have (too many) Lyman 55s, an RCBS Uniflow with both drums, and a Redding #3BR with both drums. And some Dillons. If I had room to mount them all, I'd probably never have to adjust another powder measure! Well, not very often, anyway.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    No lack of great responses, thanks guys. I'm leaning toward Redding or RCBS Uniflow PM III. Although a Harrell's would look nice on the bench, I'll hold off on that.

Are used units worth it? Jeff Bezos will sell me a brand new RCBS PM III around $100.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have a RCBS Uniflow I have had for 45+ years. I use Titegroup, Unique, w296/H110 and 2400. It has never been off more than .01 grains either way with any of these.

Also, if it is leaking like you say, I would hold suspect any ammo loaded with fast powder.
    Sasquatch-1 yes I agree. I lost a digit from an explosive detonation (not related to reloading or the shooting sports) so I either measure every charge, under throw and trickle up on the scale, or sample one random case from each row of five charged cases. Then I do a visual of all cases to triple check for a double charge. I'm teaching my 8 year old son the art and purposely double charged one case out of the 50 I was reloading and innocently asked him to do a visual for me. He found the suspect case, dumped it, and recharged it perfectly. Hopefully a new reloader will read this and take heed.

Quote Originally Posted by rfp357 View Post
    Are used units worth it? Jeff Bezos will sell me a brand new RCBS PM III around $100.
    At one time I had a gallon can full of spent primers under the bench.
    The cases they came out of all got re loaded using the same powder dropper. I Keep it clean, and it's still on the job.

They're like a hammer...... pretty hard to get them sloppy and wear one out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    The Uniflow 3 is a good measure for me so far. I wasnt sure about the fact it has only one size metering drum. But it really shined when I tested it with fine powders like H110. I threw 18 charges of 19.2 grains in a row before one was off at 19.1. I was impressed. It does not leak at all. Ive never had a RCBS Uniflow leak fine powders. It was also comparable to my other Uniflows for extruded and flake powders. I have my other one set up for very small charges with a small metering drum. I did return a RCBS Uniflow competition version once. It was the most inaccurate RCBS measure Ive ever tried. I dont think you can go wrong with a RCBS Uniflow or a Redding 3. I have a Lyman 55 that binds terribly with fine ball powders like H110. But its a champ with extruded rifle powders. But any measure worth its salt shouldnt leak or bind with fine powders.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I use the Redding’s the most, but the Lyman 55 is very versatile. Some like the Lee, but it is not made as well as the Redding or Lyman.
    There was a study in Precision Shooting years ago that showed the LEE measure to be perhaps 2x more precise than the most expensive powder measures they could find, including the Jones and Harrell units!
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Lee and it has never leaked. i use it for rifle charges so i d no use for fine powders. i do use a Dillon 550b for all pistol loading, which does not leak. I have occasional static charge issues with powder clinging to plastic hoppers. That is easily cured by wiping down with a used dryer static sheet. Last 1# of H110 i opened was really clinging to everything -- it took a few sheets to make that powder user friendly.

Boolit Master
    I have the newer ‘Improved’ Perfect Powder Measure and it’s a very good measure. I work up loads using the brass drum it comes with, then set one of the plastic drums for that load and done. No leakage, very accurate and easy peasy to use. For pistols I use the Pro Disc Measure and after first working up the load on the Improved PPM I then use a tapered reamer to custom ream a proper cavity in a disc and mark it accordingly.