Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is Solar worth the money?

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends where you are and how much power you use.

My power bill is about $130/mo. It would take a long time to see a return of investment. 10 years ago, when I moved here, I looked into it and the cost was in the $20k range. Then my bill was about $100/mo.

The older I get, the less time to achieve ROI, even though costs may have come down. Unless my bill gets into the $300-400 range it does not look viable.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

my electric bill is 100 month just for right to have service, actual usage is on top of that and with mostly propane equipment its about 400 to 500 a month and going up every year. my goal is to tell the rural electric association to stick it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I have followed this with great interest. I would love to go off grid. I would like it if some of you who have gone off grid might post links, contacts, user groups, sales peolpe, companies etc that I can really school up. Is there a "used equipment" site? I see used stuff for sale a lot. Whats the deal with that? please don't violate any site rules tx

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    "Down Under" if your solar powered house catches fire, the fire brigade will let it burn until a qualified electrician is on site to disconnect it!
    Not necessarily, my system has a cut off on the side of the house next to the power meter. It's code here and required.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I have followed this with great interest. I would love to go off grid. I would like it if some of you who have gone off grid might post links, contacts, user groups, sales peolpe, companies etc that I can really school up. Is there a "used equipment" site? I see used stuff for sale a lot. Whats the deal with that? please don't violate any site rules tx
    I used a site called energy sage, they are not a seller they get some basic information from you to get an idea of what you want and or need and then I had three quotes from reputable companies to look into and choose from.
    Not really high pitched sales calls, you contact them and proceed with the process.
    They also have plenty of information on their site.

As for cost we paid just over 35k for 5k of panels and 10 kw of batteries, fully installed. Yes we got a $1000 rebate from the state and 5k fed tax break but that didn't play role in my decision, and if that makes me a bad person as some on here state so be it. I see that as finally getting back some of my hard earned tax dollars.

While saving money definitely played a role in my decision to get it my major factor is self sufficiency, I have only had to pay the electric bill one month and that was only $8.00. November will be 2 full years and so far we figure right around $2800 saved , electric bill plus electric company buys our excess, plus SERC's , for every Kw we make we get a solar credit. We sell our solar credits to a place that resells them to others, think carbon credits.

I'm 57 and am in my forever home so this system has a 25 year guarantee, and then it only looses a small percentage of output. If all works out for me I'll be well into my 80's or 90's before the system dies and it should pay for itself in 10 or 11 years. So no electric bill when I'm to old to work.

Solar may not be for everyone but so far it's working out for me.
    I'm m no greenie either, just a hard working conservative American who believes in live and let live.
    Shine on

Moderator Emeritus

I added solar to keep a few things going during the MANY power outages I see every year. Got tired of trying to start a generator when it was -20f and a snowstorm! MPPT charge controllers let me bring in higher voltage DC(85 ish volts in my case) and use thinner copper for the 90' run. Added more panels, a second charge controller, a second inverter and now parts of my house run off grid until battery voltage reaches a preset cut off. Then those appliances drop back on grid. I use a 24 to 12 volt converter to feed my ham radio gear and the 12 volt pellet stove for heat. Well worth it in my book to not have to fight a generator that does NOT want to start in deep cold. Just 2400 watts of panels and a 400 amp hour battery bank(9.6kwh). Saves me about 30% off my electric bill, no dealing with regulators because it is off grid other than a switch between grid and solar for 3 circuits in the house. Been adding some 24 volt LED lighting in some rooms so I have lights during outages.

Banned
    Forgive the drift ... but I read these threads and see what some here have for power bills and I'm shocked .

My highest power bill ever was in August , the a.c. was on in both the house and shop for the entire month , My milling machine with a 15 hp motor ran an average of 10 hours a day with countless stop / start cycles along with a 7 hp air compressor and air dryer .

My bill was $380.

I do understand that those who live in democrat controlled paradise pay a higher rate then I do here in rural Ohio but dang if I was running just a house and had a bill that high every month I'd consider a lifestyle change and move somewhere more friendly to my wallet .

No offense meant ....

Boolit Master

out here the problem is distance, you have miles and miles of poles between houses.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I guess, what I am saying is.
    If you are getting government subsidies for installing wind and solar, I hope you lose your shirt.
    I agree 100%. Solar might be feasible as an emergency backup, but unless you go whole hog and go off-grid, it will never pay for itself.

Wind turbines are not reliable and require MUCH maintenance. Many of them need total blade replacement after just two years. I predict the wind farms will never be decommissioned, they will simply be abandoned.

Boolit Master
    Don't solar panels lose efficiency every year?
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    I live in Arizona, we paid a solar company to install the system, in 5 years it will have paid for itself, we are happy with it.
    the best rate of return is if you purchase the system outright. We have friends that are leasing their setups, they are not happy because they just traded electric payments for the lease payments, no cost savings at all.

Our system has micro inverters on each panel, seems to be a better way to go, than one large inverter.
    The down side is that if the power goes out, the solar panels quit givings us electricity. Do not want to back feed the grid and cause problems for the repair people.

Good luck with your decision.
    There are automatic isolation switches you can install so there should be no feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Don't solar panels lose efficiency every year?
    Yes they do depreciate over time.
    Being an electrical Engineer am often asked to help with solar design systems, I have minimal use for solar in my own home; other than some solar panels we use for lighting outside.
    A good quality 5000 watt generator goes a long way in providing enough house Kilowatts until power is restored and what we do. When building our log home we installed propane for the furnace, cook top and generator that operates a few lights, refrig, well pump and several outlets. Also have a woodstove for heat but run the gas furnace if needing to off the generator. The Wife and I raised our family this way and both of us still living the dream without spending another dime for any equipment, repairs etc. unlike solar will cost you. Solar can be a good supplement for some, maybe not so much for others, it is about lifestyles and needs, also money and how much one can afford. Solar is not for everyone regardless of what we read..Solar and batt cars go hand in hand; if you have enough money to waste go for it. Some can get by with minimal power and minimal solar expense, they live in South Texas, Calif, Arizona or similar places, most though can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    I used a site called energy sage, they are not a seller they get some basic information from you to get an idea of what you want and or need and then I had three quotes from reputable companies to look into and choose from.
    Not really high pitched sales calls, you contact them and proceed with the process.

As for cost we paid just over 35k for 5k of panels and 10 kw of batteries, fully installed. Yes we got a $1000 rebate from the state and 5k fed tax break but that didn't play role in my decision, and if that makes me a bad person as some on here state so be it. I see that as finally getting back some of my hard earned tax dollars.

While saving money definitely played a role in my decision to get it my major factor is self sufficiency, I have only had to pay the electric bill one month and that was only $8.00. November will be 2 full years and so far we figure right around $2800 saved , electric bill plus electric company buys our excess, plus SERC's , for every Kw we make we get a solar credit. We sell our solar credits to a place that resells them to others, think carbon credits.

I'm 57 and am in my forever home so this system has a 25 year guarantee, and then it only looses a small percentage of output. If all works out for me I'll be well into my 80's or 90's before the system dies and it should pay for itself in 10 or 11 years. So no electric bill when I'm to old to work.

I'm m no greenie either, just a hard working conservative American who believes in live and let live.
    Shine on
    Your numbers seem to be in line with most I've seen, but your payback of 29k (35k-6k credits) is 20 years at 1400 per year. That is unless you are getting another 1400 per year in credits. And that ignores time value of the money you paid.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Worth it? Simple answer is "yes" - especially if you are a politician who "just happens" to own stock in foreign or a few domestic company that "just happens" to make solar power items or make batteries - especially Chin companies that can k which are actually paid for courtesy of the American eep a low overhead by utilizing slave labor - not to mention the "free" government subsidies and "tax credits" - courtesy of the American Taxpayers. Me? I'd much prefer to use natural gas piped directly to a standby generator - something we have plenty of in this country and which would run a generator rain or shine, night or day - which is now unacceptable by those who push the solar power to fill their pockets. For those that use and want to use solar power - more power to you as that's your right. I have bo doubt though, that once enough people are hooked on it - the government will figure out a way to tax sunshine to generate more "free money".

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    "Down Under" if your solar powered house catches fire, the fire brigade will let it burn until a qualified electrician is on site to disconnect it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Your numbers seem to be in line with most I've seen, but your payback of 29k (35k-6k credits) is 20 years at 1400 per year. That is unless you are getting another 1400 per year in credits. And that ignores time value of the money you paid.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    My math may have been wrong, but as I said self sufficiency is my main goal. I don't take multi thousand dollars cruses or extravagant vacations like a lot of my coworkers. The wife and I live modestly and save most of our pay. I want and am planning a decent and comfortable retirement / non working years. Hopefully at 63 or 64. Probably just a part time gig doing something I would enjoy. Also my system is 100% paid off. I owe nothing to anyone, except the privilege of property taxes. If I fail to give the local government their vig I'm screwed.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have sun all year round.
    Also one of the highest electric cost in the nation.
    Can you say monopoly???
    So for us it's worth it.
    But it takes a year to get it approved, plus probably the highest prices in the nation.
    I was hoping to get one this year, but hopefully next year.

Boolit Master

My math may have been wrong, but as I said self sufficiency is my main goal. I don't take multi thousand dollars cruses or extravagant vacations like a lot of my coworkers. The wife and I live modestly and save most of our pay. I want and am planning a decent and comfortable retirement / non working years. Hopefully at 63 or 64. Probably just a part time gig doing something I would enjoy. Also my system is 100% paid off. I owe nothing to anyone, except the privilege of property taxes. If I fail to give the local government their vig I'm screwed.
    wish there was a like button. thats my goal as well

Boolit Master

Shine on
    What was your average electric bill before the install?
    What is your 25 year guarantee? Do they promise the system will operate at the same rate it did when it was new?
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

I believe in multiple sources of energy. My unanswered question about solar and wind is what happens to these commercial gigantic 'antenna' arrays in the event of manmade or natural EMP events. I suspect they would be fried. You can protect a relatively small fossil fuel plant but something spread over thousands of acres would be difficult if not impossible.

Boolit Buddy
    The newest micro controllers run even if the grid is down. There is a great big shutoff lever outside for the firemen. If not mistaken there is a 26% Fed tax credit at this time and some states don't charge sales tax. Our power company is asking for rate increases, again, but even greater increases for natural gas. In this part of the country at this time houses with solar are selling at rates that give a return on investment. If you think electricity prices will go up, it may be worth the gamble/investment. There are some interesting new batteries using iron oxide etc. that may be cheaper and safer.