Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When the Primer Panic of 2009 ends, guess what?

In Remembrance

When the Primer Panic of 2009 ends, guess what?

Several of us were chatting today after Easter dinner, and the discussion turned to all this mad panic buying and buying up all the reloading and casting stuff that ain't nailed down. Each of us has been patiently waiting for one of the online places to get something or the other in--besides primers--and we're all kind of aggravated at the panic buyers and "panic newbie reloaders."

But then one of my friends brought up an incredibly delicious thought:

When all returns to normal, he predicts, any idea how many newbie reloaders and newbie boolit casters are gonna absolutely HATE reloading and casting? And guess what happens THEN?

Lots and lots of barely used equipment of ALL makes going up for sale. Lot of these IDIOTS who bought 20, 30, 40, 50K primers along with their first ever reloading press are going to realize that there is no way they will ever load and shoot a tenth of that amount in five lifetimes.

Lots and lots of barely used equipment and components will be popping up in "Swapping and Selling" classifieds all over the country.

And so far as Supply & Demand, the shoe will be on the other foot.

Delicious thought, ain't it?

Boolit Master
    YEP !

Back in 2001, I bought 37,000 CCI small pistol, and 10,000 large pistol primers from a wholesale distributer that was getting out of the reloading componenet business. I bought them for the price he paid in the '90's primer scare...... about $7at thousand !!!!

I also bought out a "gunshops" stock in 1999 of about 15,000 small pistol primers (Federal, to feed my PPC revolvers) for about $5/thousand.

Happy days will return again, just not soon enough.

However, I do have a couple of years supply of small pistol and small rifle primers, and perhapa 5-6yrs of Large Rifle magnum........

(not a "hoarder", I just shoot that much !)

What is worrying me more is the long term availability of lead wheelweights.........

In Remebrance

Just like after Y2K when there was a glut of "survivalist" gear on the market.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, but what I was really hoping for was a cheapy generator. Never ran across one, so I broke down and bought one. Had been promising myself one for 30 years.
    Bob K

Boolit Master

This happened after the Gun Control Act of 1968. I bought a 50lb. keg of H4831 for $20. ----dale

Boolit Grand Master

Well, what I hope is that most of the newbies STAY and continue to reload as they have started! The bright ones will realize that it IS a bit of work but look at how the "price per round" has gone down. Further, there is GREAT satisfaction in "rolling your own". THAT can only benefit the reloading and shooting industry and ultimately, ALL of us.

Here's hopin'

Dale53

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Well, what I hope is that most of the newbies STAY and continue to reload as they have started! The bright ones will realize that it IS a bit of work but look at how the "price per round" has gone down. Further, there is GREAT satisfaction in "rolling your own". THAT can only benefit the reloading and shooting industry and ultimately, ALL of us.

Here's hopin'

Dale53

AMEN TO THAT!!! .......Anything that increases our numbers gives us more strength for future "trials"!

......And let's hope that they keep the sense of "Political Awareness" that originally lead them to rush out to buy enough stuff to cause the current shortage!!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Bub
    I read your post, thought about it...
    I pretty much disagree with your whole post.
    3rptr

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rptr View Post
    I read your post, thought about it...
    I pretty much disagree with your whole post.
    3rptr

???????????????????

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Master
    In my opinion, this is not the 90's Clinton era, this is 2009, Obama and a Democratic congress. This is never going to get better. This is the end of the line for primers.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    In my opinion, this is not the 90's Clinton era, this is 2009, Obama and a Democratic congress. This is never going to get better. This is the end of the line for primers.

exile

So you believe that it's all over? ......That the "rank and file" in this country will just quietly "roll over" for whatever "Obama and the Good Time Boys" decree???

I think not! .......History demonstrates that we don't give up quite that easily!!

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Master

3rptr,

Tell us why you disagree. Tis not enough to just disagree with out qualification as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Several of us were chatting today after Easter dinner, and the discussion turned to all this mad panic buying and buying up all the reloading and casting stuff that ain't nailed down. Each of us has been patiently waiting for one of the online places to get something or the other in--besides primers--and we're all kind of aggravated at the panic buyers and "panic newbie reloaders."

But then one of my friends brought up an incredibly delicious thought:

When all returns to normal, he predicts, any idea how many newbie reloaders and newbie boolit casters are gonna absolutely HATE reloading and casting? And guess what happens THEN?

Lots and lots of barely used equipment of ALL makes going up for sale. Lot of these IDIOTS who bought 20, 30, 40, 50K primers along with their first ever reloading press are going to realize that there is no way they will ever load and shoot a tenth of that amount in five lifetimes.

Lots and lots of barely used equipment and components will be popping up in "Swapping and Selling" classifieds all over the country.

And so far as Supply & Demand, the shoe will be on the other foot.

Delicious thought, ain't it?

Same goes for those IDIOTS (your words) who didn't or don't plan ahead. A Delicious thought indeed....
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    Same goes for those IDIOTS (your words) who didn't or don't plan ahead. A Delicious thought indeed....

you are soooooo badddddddddddd!

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMAPNY
    and seller of market priced primers
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    Yep.

They're the ones doing most of the crying right now. But the IDIOTS always do--no matter the scenario. That's why they're IDIOTS.

Some can be reformed, most cannot. Natural selection.

I take sorta combination approach to this stuff.

1. By and by, the supply with catch up with the demand and primers will reappear on the market.

2. By and by, some of the panic hoards will trickle back into the market, but not a flood.

3. By and by, some of the panic newbies will stick with loading and some won't.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Well, what I hope is that most of the newbies STAY and continue to reload as they have started! Dale53
    I started reloading to save money and be able to shoot more. After getting started I discovered reloading to be another hobby in it's self. I imagine many of the newby shooters will discover reloading as I did and stay with it. Even when and if ammo supplies become abundant and cheap again. Many but not all will stick with it.

I quit reloading shotshells many years ago after doing the math. I enjoyed loading for shotguns but before I retired I had to budget my time. Kmart used to low ball shotshells every year right before Dove season opens here in Arizona. I'd buy up enough to last me the entire year. My savings in $$'s just wasn't worth the time. I would rather spend my spare time casting. Since the fat pig Michael Moore made such a big deal about Kmart having ammo sales. I blew the dust off of my old and reliable Pacific shotshell press and jumped back in. I sure wish I had never given up my 410 loader but at the time I thought I would never load them again.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    When the democrat congress passes a trillion dollar spending bill one day, assembled the night before and consisting of more than 1100 pages, can anyone here really say that anyone of them really knew what they were approving?

Now, if they did not know what they were approving, and it was a spending bill, it means that my elected representatives were approving of me being taxed without knowing what for or how much, and they certainly knew nothing of my circumstances.

If someone can take your earnings, without regard to the reasons for the taking, or how it would affect you , or whether you approved, THAT IS TYRANNY beyond anything even the founding fathers ever saw.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Bub

opportunism

Nobody is addressing the fact that some of these s.o.b.s who go into a shop and cleanout the primers are turning around and trying to sell them for a 100 bucks a 1000. Supposedly we are supposed to be hanging together to keep shooting alive in the U.S.A.; however, this behavior is doing the work of antigunners. Shooters getting priced out of the market means there are few supporters for our cause.

Moderator Emeritus

I went to a small gunshop here locally where the owner outright refused to sell me primers he had sitting on the shelf, claiming he had sold 700 dollars worth of reloading equipment to someone and didn't want to upset them by not having primers for their new machine. He only had 1500 large pistol primers there, I had to convince him to sell me 4 trays of them. I wasn't happy, nor was he, I won't be going back.