Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Question about the APP project: there are two shuttle bases, one is longer.....what's the longer one for? I missed that somehow.
    I printed up both... I couldn't see any difference between them.

Boolit Master

Really? I know there's browning 9mm longs, but I don't have such a gun. .355 round nose works great.....the only .358 bullet I have are .357mag hollow points......tried them and they don't feed right. They go through if I manually lift the insert really high.....so don't know why..... TylerR designed the die though, he may have a better understanding why not. Those same bullets work perfect in the .38 die. as they should.
    The paired 9mm ball holes in the insert stem are spaced, vertically, closer togethet that the holes in the 38 set. This difference will accomodate the longer bullet lengths used in 38 calibers.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by azlester View Post
    I printed up both... I couldn't see any difference between them.
    The small pusher tab beneath the jaws is slightly longer to accomodate rims that are slightly less in diameter thatn the case body, thereby reducing the tendency of the case to tip forward due to friction between the ramp and the case rim.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    The paired 9mm ball holes in the insert stem are spaced, vertically, closer together than the holes in the 38 set. This difference will accommodate the longer bullet lengths used in 38 calibers.
    I figured it was something like that, but I didn't examine them....just shared how the .358's didn't work so well.

The small pusher tab beneath the jaws is slightly longer to accomodate rims that are slightly less in diameter thatn the case body, thereby reducing the tendency of the case to tip forward due to friction between the ramp and the case rim.
    That makes sense. I do remember the original tongue was a little long for what I loaded so TylerR reduced it a little.....I had just carved mine and made it work. What I didn't know was that he kept both versions. Thanks for the added info.....and TylerR didn't even have to exercise his fingers.....

Damn! I never explained why I created both, but you nailed it. That is the answer, short and sweet,

The paired 9mm ball holes in the insert stem are spaced, vertically, closer togethet that the holes in the 38 set. This difference will accomodate the longer bullet lengths used in 38 calibers.
    Exactly. The 38 die also has a longer body.

Boolit Man
    Ok, call me an idiot....
    What terminals do i use with this photo resistor(on the right hand side of the board)?? I tried googling the symbols but no help at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoresistor.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	298935
    Thank you for all your help!

Never used such a thing.....its a Car Light Automatic Control Switch....but TylerR may have. He'll have to explain...me know nothing. But here's a circuit picture of it....may possibly help.

Last edited by GWS; 04-13-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Man
    Ok next dumb question....
    The owners manual says that I need a Drop_Tube_Drop_Hole_X .... I cant find it in any section... it goes from the top of the bullet feeder die to the spring adapter at the end of the spring coming down from the collator... I think.
    I know that the x is the size.
    Thanks

The owners manual says that I need a Drop_Tube_Drop_Hole_X .... I cant find it in any section... it goes from the top of the bullet feeder die to the spring adapter at the end of the spring coming down from the collator... I think.
    Thanks
    They are in the "Adapters" section and come in 3 sizes. Large, Medium, and Small. Print all three and keep them handy. Use the one that works for your application.

Thanks
    If you are using the drop tube that mounts to the collator you don't need that part.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    If you are using the drop tube that mounts to the collator you don't need that part.

Name:	usermanual.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	298997
    So there is an error in the owners manual???

Well TylerR......I like my RCBS Tube Rifle bullet feeder dies, except for the fact that I sometimes forget there's ball bearings in there, and all it takes is tipping the tool head on it's side to lose them. And the in-tubes are just sitting there....can be bumped out too easy, and then I'm picking up bullets off the floor.

I like your 3D printed ones even better since they have springs to hold them together. No bearings or bullets on the floor to search for and pick up.

So I borrowed the spring idea from you.

From this:

To this:

just using this:

I tried different shapes on each one.....the window on the .223 looks better.....the top on the .308 looks better.....worth reprinting? No....not that vain I guess.....they work! No more bearings and bullets on the floor from this forgetful klutz. Now they are just as efficient as yours. No sense wasting perfectly good tools.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-15-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Name:	usermanual.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	298997
    So there is an error in the owners manual???
    Are you feeding brass or bullets to the press?

Boolit Man
    Are you feeding brass or bullets to the press?
    Yea it's me again....
    I am trying to take all the pieces I printed and assemble them to make sure I have everything needed.
    Here is where I am having problems...
    For bullet feeding
    I have the everything from the app and bullet feeding die up to the LED drop tube. Where i am having a problem is that none of the spring adapters seem to fit the bayonet fitting on top of the drop tube. I have the parts for from the collator to the spring.
    For case feeding
    I am using the Alt LED drop tube that attaches at the collator. I have everything to attach the spring down towards the APP. Where I am having a problem is from the bottom of the spring to the offset connector. What part do I use??

Yea it's me again....
    I am trying to take all the pieces I printed and assemble them to make sure I have everything needed.
    Here is where I am having problems...
    For bullet feeding
    I have the everything from the app and bullet feeding die up to the LED drop tube. Where i am having a problem is that none of the spring adapters seem to fit the bayonet fitting on top of the drop tube. I have the parts for from the collator to the spring.
    For case feeding
    I am using the Alt LED drop tube that attaches at the collator. I have everything to attach the spring down towards the APP. Where I am having a problem is from the bottom of the spring to the offset connector. What part do I use??
    Post a couple of pics of both setups and I will help figure out what you are missing.

Well TylerR......I like my RCBS Tube Rifle bullet feeder dies, except for the fact that I sometimes forget there's ball bearings in there, and all it takes is tipping the tool head on it's side to lose them. And the in-tubes are just sitting there....can be bumped out too easy, and then I'm picking up bullets off the floor.

I like your 3D printed ones even better since they have springs to hold them together. No bearings or bullets on the floor to search for and pick up.

So I borrowed the spring idea from you.

From this:

To this:

just using this:

I tried different shapes on each one.....the window on the .223 looks better.....the top on the .308 looks better.....worth reprinting? No....not that vain I guess.....they work! No more bearings and bullets on the floor from this forgetful klutz. Now they are just as efficient as yours. No sense wasting perfectly good tools.
    Looks great to me!

Looks great to me!
    Notice the next station counter clockwise in the picture of my last post? That's the video powder cop I made from an old .45acp seater body and a 12V cheap bore scope. I think I will make a simpler version just using a 3D print that just drops in the die holder hole and forget threading a die body....where you can just stuff an unmodified bore scope in it...then stuff both in the die holder. That way you can just move it tool head to tool head easily.This is how it works:

Notice the next station counter clockwise in the picture of my last post? That's the video powder cop I made from an old .45acp seater body and a 12V cheap bore scope. I think I will make a simpler version just using a 3D print that just drops in the die holder hole and forget threading a die body....where you can just stuff an unmodified bore scope in it...then stuff both in the die holder. That way you can just move it tool head to tool head easily.This is how it works:

Nice! I've made a similar busing for another reloader's Dillon 750 and on my 750 the die heads have this odd spare hole that works great to mount a similar camera head to check powder charging.

Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    Nice! I've made a similar busing for another reloader's Dillon 750 and on my 750 the die heads have this odd spare hole that works great to mount a similar camera head to check powder charging.
    Yeah the hole for the Dillon beeper powder check system. That must have been designed by Toyota. I have a 4Runner a year old....and I found that I don't do well with the incessant beeping to save me from myself! Actually I found that out long before I traded my faithful lovable Avalanche for it. I tried a piezo buzzer on a case trimmer I made....removed it just before I went crazy. IMO you made a better use of the hole.

I just figured on my 7 station press, that a camera would be a better use than a regular powder cop, that you have to listen to, or watch the little pole go up and down. The video screen can be more in your face so you don't space it off, and with 7 stations, I don't miss the station, and you can't beat the direct head on shot of the case.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-15-2022 at 01:30 PM.