Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Max-9: should I do it?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Ruger Max-9: should I do it?

I haven't been too impressed with Ruger's centerfire autos since the SR series, but the Max-9 intrigues me. It seems to strike the right balance of size and weight for a ccw 9mm for my taste. The design seems pretty well thought out and the trigger pull is good. Sights are really nice too. If it likes my pet load of Arsenal 358-130-RF over 3.8 grains HP-38 like my other pistols do then it should be a winner.

What say you? Anybody have experiences with the Max-9?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I really like my Springfield Hellcat. I looked at a Max 9 but passed for some reason. I pocket carry the Hellcat. Spent more money on the price of the Hellcat. I am a fan of Ruger too but left the Max 9 in the showcase at the LGS.

The Hellcat and Sig P365 are next to the Max 9 in the case and the Ruger just feels better to me. I'm going to carry it OWB under my jacket so it doesn't have to be super small.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I don't carry a 9MM as a primary carry gun. I carry pocket carry in my lounge pants at home. I shoot the Hellcat fine and I have hands that take a large glove. I've shot 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo through mine and hand loads with a 147-150 FN cast and it is good to go. So is my Glock M48. I pocket carry it too and really like it.

Sounds good!

Boolit Master

You are the only one who can answer that question to your satisfaction.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    You are the only one who can answer that question to your satisfaction.
    I would assume with a post count of over 5 thousand he knows what he wants. AND knows what he is going to do. He is just wanting to get confirmation on his decision.
    Like most of us on forums.

Yes, exactly. I really like the gun, just wanting to see what others think before I blow all my fun money!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Yes, exactly. I really like the gun, just wanting to see what others think before I blow all my fun money!
    Be honest, does it really matter to you what anyone else thinks. I am contemplating on getting a certain 1911 45 Auto. I know 90 percent what I am going to do.

I was thinking more along the lines of, if the gun has any known problems or odd characteristics that I should be aware of.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking more along the lines of, if the gun has any known problems or odd characteristics that I should be aware of.
    The problems I have found with trying to ferret out reviews on guns is who do you believe? There are those that nitpick everything to death and wouldn't be happy in Heaven and those that as long as the gun goes bang a couple times it is perfect. I've heard horror stories about Kimber, Springfield and most anyone one can name. Then there's the chance one can get the one near perfect handgun or the most non perfect gun from any manufacturer. How does one know who to believe? I've been trying to figure that out for years.
    I will add this EVERY forum has the "expert" and the "far from expert" types. Sometimes it is bad to listen to both types and sometimes it is good to listen to both types. Ive found both types to be wrong at times and both to be right at times.
    Ive found that to be the case at gunshops and at the range.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-09-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't own one but my bosses husband had an American that he needed cleaned and she brought it in for me to break down for him. I took it all apart, cleaned and lubed then ran a few mags through it. I was very surprised at how good it felt and the accuracy for a self defense gun was well within acceptable. Well made as near as I could tell.

Based on this experience I would have no qualms using an American, Security or Max-9 one if that was what felt good to me and was in my price range.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    The more handguns you shoot, the more you learn about their particular idiosyncrasies. When I fired a Shield, it fit my hand well, and was fairly accurate. After a while, I found I couldn't reach the mag release, without releasing my grip, and the mag wouldn't drop unless the release was pushed just right, also the mag would hit the edge of my palm. The thumb safety is small, and I find it hard to set. In comparison, the shield ez, I can easily reach the mag release and the mag drops like right now, no hang ups whatsoever. Also, the mag release can be changed for either hand. The thumb safety is larger and easily set off and back on, with a sweep of your thumb. Those are the type of issues I was speaking about

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't been too impressed with Ruger's centerfire autos since the SR series, but the Max-9 intrigues me. It seems to strike the right balance of size and weight for a ccw 9mm for my taste. The design seems pretty well thought out and the trigger pull is good. Sights are really nice too. If it likes my pet load of Arsenal 358-130-RF over 3.8 grains HP-38 like my other pistols do then it should be a winner.

What say you? Anybody have experiences with the Max-9?
    I have one and it carries well and shoots great. I bought it to compliment my Ruger LC9S-Pro. When I need complete hide I use the LC9S-Pro. Both guns fit the same holster and both have been gems for me. I have to qualify yearly uder LEOS to carry and I use the Max9.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I have and carry an LC9s. I had one stove pipe failure to eject on the first magazine fired. It's now been flawless for over 400 rds of everything from cheap Tula 115 gr. steel case to 147 gr premium stuff, which I carry in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Max is just an LC9 with a fat handle?
    Deplorable infidel

Looking at the exploded view, the Max 9 is similar but definitely not the same as the LC9S. The sear design reminds me of Kahr's "cocking cam". The extractor has an axis pin like the SR series, not the Glock style that the LC9s used. Yeah, I nerd out about those kind of things!

I ended up putting a Max-9 in layaway jail, hopefully can get it out soon.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Max9. I got hooked on the P365s and didn't have a chance to check out the max. Looks like a great gun, the 12rd mags should be comfortable and reliable with the longer grip / shorter extension. Very nice that it's optics ready too. Can't wait to check one out if I see one in the store.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I went to buy a p365 the other day and ended up with a Glock 20 on sale for $579. I’m still going to get a micro 9. The P365 I liked the trigger the best out of all the micro 9’s. I’ll have to try the Ruger’s. Had a beretta nano years ago and sold it off. Should of held into it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter357 View Post
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Max9. I got hooked on the P365s and didn't have a chance to check out the max. Looks like a great gun, the 12rd mags should be comfortable and reliable with the longer grip / shorter extension. Very nice that it's optics ready too. Can't wait to check one out if I see one in the store.
    Thanks. I like Sig but the 365 is just too small for my taste. The slightly larger Max 9 is perfect in that regard.