RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone have information on a 255 gr .452 load data for a 45 ACP?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone have information on a 255 gr .452 load data for a 45 ACP?

I have been wanting to make some hot heavy loads for my 45 ACP pistols. I have seen some factory 255 gr and wanted to see if I could get close to replicating the load myself. Any advice?

Looking for something to put in the 1911 or P320 for SD on hogs and when I go hiking bears and mountain lions. I'd just take the Ruger Redhawk 45 L most of the time but looking for something that I might be able to shoot more than 6 rounds without reloading. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I did something similar years ago looking for bowling pin loads. Used 255gr 45 colt bullets over Unique. Alliant book shows 6.5 gr under 230 gr RN ball. Try starting about 5.5 and work up. Mine was in 1911 with Clark Pin Compensator. Fire breathing dragon slayer. GW

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 252 gr SWC
    1.210" OAL
    8.5gr Bluedot

850 fps

Boolit Buddy
    The Western manual has lots of data. There is also some Power Pistol data that I have used and found lots of success. I would also check out some 45 Super data for a sanity check and to see where specific powders hit the higher pressure level. If you have data for 45 Super and you stay below those charge levels with the higher capacity ACP brass you should be safe. I have found that many unsupported 1911 barrels will take mid-range 23-25k PSI Super loads in ACP brass without any excess bulging.

Even if you only plan to shoot them at 800 fps I would still recommend a small radius firing pin stop and a heavier mainspring. The heavier bullets will really slam the slide home if your firing pin stop is beveled.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Speer manual has data for both 250 SWC and 260 JHP in .45 ACP. I load 6 grains of Unique.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Back when I had a Colt new service in 45LC I cast the now discontinued RCBS 45-250-FN for it (actually more like a round nose with a tiny meplat). Since I also had a 1911 at the time I tried this boolit out in 45acp using 6.0 grains of Unique. As I recall the load didn't feed very well. When it did load it shot pretty good, but because it had a tendency to jam in that particular gun I stayed with the 230 grain round nose and 185 grain SWC designs.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Speer manual has data for both 250 SWC and 260 JHP in .45 ACP. I load 6 grains of Unique.
    Same here, in both the 45ACP and 45AR. 6 grains is right on the money IMO, but you still need to work up. I have gone a little higher, but went back to 6 gr.

Boolit Master

Yes, 6.0 Unique is the ticket
    Might want a heavier spring to tame recoil
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I did something similar years ago looking for bowling pin loads. Used 255gr 45 colt bullets over Unique. Alliant book shows 6.5 gr under 230 gr RN ball. Try starting about 5.5 and work up. Mine was in 1911 with Clark Pin Compensator. Fire breathing dragon slayer. GW
    I ran a similar load at 2nd Chance for a year. They worked but feeding was on the ragged edge of working reliably enough. After a lot of experimentation, I ended up using Winchester 230 JHP bullets. They fed reliably and worked well enough on pins. Terrible bullet on game - I never did have one expand. I've killed gophers to deer with a 45 auto and have found it to be pretty poor at the job. I have honestly had better luck with a 9mm on game, shooting Federal BPLE 115 +P+ ammo. Way more decisive on small game and on the one deer I shot with it was dead on the spot. Sacrilege, I know, but that has been my personal experience with over half a million rounds of 45ACP and 9mm across a bunch of decades.

Boolit Buddy
    ideal mold 454190 for 45LC at 250 grain works in 45ACP with appropriate loads of unique.