Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things I'm learning, shooting the 38-72 (photos)

Boolit Master
    John, once again, excellent information. Thanks for that Greenhill formula. I will have to look that one up to see at what velocity a 38 caliber bullet that is 1" long will stabilize with a 1:26 twist.

EMC45, if I recall correctly, that 30-30 bullet is a 150 grain RCBS. I have recently acquired a 180 grain RCBS mould which I'm looking forward to trying out.

Boolit Master

Thanks bud! I have the 180gr. FP RCBS. Great bullet and shoots through my 336 just right!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I'm 9 months late on this reply, but I just noticed the thread. The 38-72 was designed for black powder, obvious from the enormous case capacity. Like virtually all BP-designed cartridges, it works most consistently with black powder; and died shortly after introduction because the early smokeless simply could not reproduce the dynamics of BP. As you have seen, the more modern smokeless is even less consistent, and introduces additional problems like partially-filled cases. Why not try using her as originally intended? Just my silly old outlook, but I've always figured that if I'm going to dance with an older lady, it'll be a Bop or a Tango, not a Rap or a bump-dance.

I have a High-Wall in this caliber (probably rechambered from a 38-55) and use the same Winchester-mold bullet you started with (in 20:1); that mold is on the end of the pliers-like Winchester reloading tool I use. With Swiss FFFG and a CCI Magnum primer, she's a tack-driver at 100 yards, drops a feral pig like a sledgehammer, and comes clean with a single moose-milk-wet patch. (I'd shoot her a lot more than I do, if I had more than 9 original cases.)

Let that beautiful old girl dance to a tune she recognizes: what the heck, you may fall in love all over again!

Do you have access to the Australian Defense Industries ADI trail boss, also available in the US from Hogden under the same name? This powder is very bulky - 14grains fills a .308 case and is still a very light load, designed for lead.

This information sheet gives data for 38/55 and 40/65 ? helpful?

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Countries...ts/Trail_Boss/

Boolit Master
    I hope to post an update in the next few weeks. Since I started this thread back in the day, I ordered a custom mould from Accurate Moulds. It is a 265 grain GC and so far it looks good ..... 3 shot groups at 100 yards of about 1 & 3/4".

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting data on the Trail Boss: looks like useful stuff, but clearly not up to BP performance. It lists 38-55/250 grn at 840 FPS, max load 910; the original Winchester BP loading gave 1300+ FPS with a 255 grn bullet.

Simiiarly, it shows for the 44-40 in a revolver 725 fps, max load 825; yet a "short" load of only 35 grns FFFG will produce 900+ fps from a 7.5" single action Colt.

Just sayin, try the real thing
    OK, I'll shut up now...

Boolit Master

Talking

KirkD, the picture of the mould made me think that I have a couple like that so I went and looked at them.

One is marked 38-55 and the other is marked 38 WCF.

Have a go with 4759?

Boolit Master
    4759 should work well. Its burn rate is just a little bit faster than 5744 and it has more bulk to fill up the case better. However, I try to use 4759 only as a last resort because it does not meter as accurately in my powder measure.

Hi all,
    just wondering how things developed in this thread, I see no recent posts.
    About 18 months ago I picked a Ruger No 1. rebarrelled with a 1:12 twist Pac-nor barrel in 38/72 (.375). My idea was to shoot BPCR with it but unfortunately I was a bit naive and it turned out too light and not really siutable.
    Anyhow, It has been a fun project.
    BP and 300 grn bullets shoot quite well.
    Smokeless with the same bullets shoot very well.
    Jacketed 225 and 235 grn at around 2450 fps with the Australian ADI 2208 ( Win Varget) are more than Hunting accuracy.
    My Cast bullets vary from a local mold of 264 grn upto a Boomer Money at 325 grn. Most consistant has been a local mold of around 295 grn in 20:1.
    It's a fun thing for sure and would gladly carry it hunting feral Pig, Deer etc. My jacketed load can go higher yet, as there are no sign of Pressure at the Primer, maybe a faster ? powder as my Varget load is almost a full case. I think a 250 grn jacketed would get around that velocity also which would make a very capable load for anything in Oz.
    My old body is much happier with Cast, and reloading component prices have jumped here so that's where I'll stay.
    Regarding fillers, wads etc, I've used dacron for close to 25 years, a small ball down on the (smokeless) powder, with an air gap above it. Recently I have tried .150" dry Felt, .150" lubed Felt and a .150" thickness Sponge ( as used in the kitchen). After reading Dell and Schwartz book The Modern Shutzen Rifle, I have tride all manner of things, includung the position of the Wad. My Dacron seems to be the most accurate. Amazingly, Dell and Schwatz warne against the use of dacron.
    Last edited by Martini Sportco; 03-17-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Last year I played around with a 375 Express in a old custom Lee Speed. I did shoot it a bit, but not with cast. I actually ordered the brass from Oz country. I didn't get into too crazy, but saw that the 38/72 case is awful close to that old express round. My loads were around 2500 fps (supposed old time speed) with 270 gr jacketed, though they printed quite low at 100 with the 100yd leaf. Almost perfect with the 200 yd leaf. For sure there's some potential as a game stopper.