Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I'm learning, shooting the 38-72 (photos)

Boolit Master

Things I'm learning, shooting the 38-72 (photos)

As some of you may recall, about a month and a half ago I had the good fortune of finally acquiring an original Winchester Model 1895 38-72 with a rapid taper octagon barrel, after many years of wanting one and having given up hope of ever getting one. This particular one was made in 1904 and shipped in 1905. It is still in very nice shape. Here’s a photo .....

Last weekend at a local gun show, I picked up an original 38-72 cartridge shown below. For comparison, from left to right, is the 45-70, the 30-30, an original black powder WRACO 38-55, an original 38-72 cartridge with jacketed bullet, and last of all, a 30-06 cartridge.

Another fellow who also owns an original 38-72 graciously loaned me an original Winchester 38-72 mould that he owned. With excitement, I casted well over 300 bullets. The naked bullets, before lubing, weighed 277. 4 grains, plus or minus 0.2 grains. The diameter, using wheelweights and a wee bit of tin, was .378”. The photos below show what the bullet looks like. The long nose-to-driving band ratio has turned out to be a bit of a problem, as I learned over the past month with a lot of work on loads.

It turns out that the bullet has a tendency to wobble slightly, judging from the slightly oval holes at 100 yards that I consistently observed. I tried to speed up the bullets to see if they would stabilize better, but found that the groups really opened up if I got much above 1,430 fps. The original black powder velocity was 1,425 fps, but black powder gives a pretty high peak pressure spike which obturates the lead bullet to seal off the bore. I found that slower smokeless powders just couldn’t produce enough pressure at 1,425 fps to do the job and I couldn’t go faster without groups really opening up. In situations like this, 2400 usually comes to my rescue as it gives a very similar peak pressure to black powder, all other things being equal. After some experimentation across the chronograph in my back yard, I settled on 17.5 grains of 2400 under the 277 grain cast bullet in my once fired Jamison brass. Let’s hear it for Jamison, they actually make 38-72 brass for a reasonable price!! I think I paid around $28 for 20 cases; I ain’t complaining about that at all.

I headed to the range just 8 minutes down the road that runs past our house. Out of curiosity, I decided to fire 5 rounds with the powder forward in the case (gun was level, but I tipped each cartridge nose down as I loaded it) and 5 rounds with the powder back (I’d tip the muzzle up while loading, and then level the gun). What an education!! In the photo below you can see the results, two different average velocities and two different groups with the same load. The powder forward gave an average velocity of 1,290 fps and the high group on the target. The powder back gave an average velocity of 1,425 fps and the low group, with one hole just below the paper. Range was 100 yards. The 1,425 fps group was 2 & 9/16” for five shots at 100 yards. The 1,290 fps group was 2 & 3/8” for four shots, but I wasn’t sure where the fifth shot was. The slower velocity had more oval holes in the back board, indicating it was clearly less stable, though the fast group still had slightly oval holes. Here’s the target ....

That lower group obtained with 17.5 grains of 2400 and the powder forward for 1,425 fps is the tightest load I was able to find after a lot of loads tried over this past month. This is not surprising, as the velocity is the same as the BP velocity and the pressure was very close as well. However, I am not happy with it, as I figure if the bullets are slightly wobbling at 100 yards, they will be worse at 200 and I want good accuracy at 200 yards. Furthermore, I cannot have a load with such position sensitivity. I don’t want to have to think about powder position when I am hunting, especially when it makes a difference of seven inches vertical between back and forward! The solution, of course, is filler, but I would have to use a lot of it with 2400 and I prefer to use filler with slower powders ..... but I can’t use slower powders because the pressure is not high enough to obturate the bullet and I can’t raise the pressure by going for a higher velocity with slower powders because the groups really go south fast with this plain base bullet.

Stabilization Problem: Winchester must have had a similar problem with their cast bullet. According to Madis, the 38-72 first came out with a 1:26 twist in 1895. Around 1904 they increased it to 1:18 and then later to 1:16. As near as I can measure, the twist of my rapid taper octagon barrel is 1:26, so I’m not optimistic I can get rid of that bullet wobble at 1,425 fps. With this in mind, I have given up on this bullet; the nose is just too long for the length of the driving band portion. The fellow who loaned me the mould has come to the same conclusion with that bullet in his 38-72. The long, narrow 277 grain bullet just won’t completely stabilize at 1,425 fps, which just so happens to be the velocity that seems to give the greatest accuracy. I am ordering a custom gas check bullet that has a longer driving band section than nose section. It should be more stable and I should be able to push it a bit faster up to 1,475 fps, which was the later velocity of the 38-72. Incidentally, Winchester quit making the 38-72 in 1909 and production of ammunition ceased in 1936.

Establishing a benchmark for this rifle: Finally, I wanted a benchmark accuracy. What is this rifle capable of with the right bullets? I decided to load up five more of my dwindling stash of custom swaged .3775 JSP bullets weighing 246 grains. The load was 28 grains of RL-7. Average velocity was 1,605 fps, but I found that with powder forward I got only 1,536 fps. The first shot ticked the top of the paper so Iowered the rear sight one notch and fired my remaining four rounds to get a four shot group of 1 & ¾” at 100 yards. This old rifle can be a tack driver with the right bullet! I am really looking forward to trying some gas check bullets in this old rifle. Here’s a photo of the JSP bullet and the target .....

Banned

Congratulations on finding one! Your pics are quite enjoyable too.

As for the load, why don't you stick with Reloder 7, back off to about 24 grains to start, and fluff up a 3/4-grain tuft of Dacron so that it fills the space between the powder column and the boolit base with just enough compression to keep the powder in place? Use your cast boolits, of course. I've used a lot of Dacron in situations such as these, keeping the powder situated really helps sometimes, and Reloder 7 should have about the right pressure curve for what you're trying to do.

One other thing that comes to mind, boolit instability can sometimes be related to poor nose fit in the bore, or undersized driving bands. Essentially if the boolit is too small in any dimension for the gun, it can slump and get wobbly in flight, printing large, elliptical holes.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Hey neat old shooter there! I don't have any loading info but today I saw that Midway has 38-72 brass on clearance. You might wanna go there and buy it all up! If I had a 38-72 I know I would!

T-o-m

Boolit Master
    Geargnasher, that RL-7 with dacron might work. I did try IMR 4198 with toilet paper filler, but just one load that gave about 1,497 fps if I recall correctly. At that speed, I would normally get no bullets on paper at 100 yards, but the toilet paper got four of them on paper but the fifth was somewhere else. I need to get some dacron.

Old Goat Keeper, thanks for that Midway tip. I could use more brass.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    You may want to try the TP again with respect to 2400 and the variable powder positioning problem. I have found that it can help consistency greatly. Squares are easy to cut, fold and, for me, push down hard on the powder and stay there. I like 2400 in some of those early cartridges.

You may also be able to find a larger diameter 38-55 (379/380) mould close to your desired bullet weight to try. The design might be contemporary to your rifle.

Good post !

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Toilet paper or dacron over 2400 might be my best bet with this bullet. The 17.5 grain 2400 load works very well with only slight wobble, I just need to do away with the powder position problem. A very light filler would keep the powder against the primer, giving me consistent velocity. I am thinking of trying that.

Kirk,
    EXCELLENT report with a neat piece of Winchester history!

If you haven't already, it would be interesting to try some bullets in the Winchester recommended alloy of 20/1 lead/tin.

Bullet nose diameter?
    Bore diameter?

The nose could be "bumped up" to fit the bore diameter using your lubrisizer if the bullets aren't too hard.

As we know, anything that will keep the powder in place and act as a gas check is definitely a plus. My preference would be PSB (Polyetylene Shot Buffer) and the slower RL-7 or H322/3031.

Of course, a compressed load of black powder over 10% of the b.p. charge of 2400, 4227 or 4759 with a 20/1 lead/tin bullet would be interesting to try.........

I have a couple of 38-72 W.R.A. CO. smokeless cartridges. The average powder charge was 20.2 grs of "Sharpshooter".
    Here's a pic of the bullets (larger pic for better detail)

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 09-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Too heavy, you may have to go custom, I have one of these and it drops right at .379". Good luck. Take a chamber cast, draw up a boolit that fits it, and Mountain Mold it, or maybe the Ranch Dog will work. What is the rifling like?

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/inde...products_id=35
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

i had a nice 1895 in 30 army (30-40 krag) a take down made in 1923. i traded it off a few years ago and get sick every time i think about it. you hang on to yours!

Banned

Granulated PSB like BPI Original would be my preference too, didn't know you were familiar with it. I would bet that the BPI would significantly improve your accuracy by isolating the powder gas from the boolit base and improving the way the plain-based boolit exits the muzzle, seen it help PB boolit accuracy many times. Slight compaction after settling in the case helps, settle it well and compress about 1/16" with the boolit. Dacron should work fine with either powder, you need SOMETHING in there.

A word of caution that keeps getting passed around, and of which I'm sure you're aware, don't pack anything down tight against the powder where it leaves any open air space between the filler and boolit base, I've seen many pictures of ringed chambers from this practice. I've always made sure the filler, even Dacron, had enough loft to it to fill the space completely, not PACKED, but FLUFFED inside the case with a nail or pocket screwdriver. Use enough filler, but not too much filler.

2400 ought to be fine, but I recommended Reloder 7 because you've already tried it, it has a very low flame temperature, long pressure curve, is easy to light, is very pressure stable under a variety of conditions such as compressed or small charge in a large case, and works well in the nearly straight-walled cases such as yours. A very good compromise between burn curve and low pressure consistency.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

KirkD; I would recommend the dacron filler with 2400 powder, I use it with ALL my 2400 loads. I will add I don't have a 38-72, wish I did, but have used as little as 28 gr of 2400 in a blown out, steep shouldered Lott case with very improved results. Use just enough dacron to fill the airspace between powder and base of the bullet, leave the dacron in a state of fluff, in other words don't tamp or pack it in the case. NICE RIFLE!!!!!!!!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    John, it sure is interesting to see those two 38-72 bullets. I have not tried 20:1 alloy. I'm sure mine is on the soft side as I used pure wheel weights (a mix of clip ons and stick ons) with only about a foot of tin solder wire tossed into the melt. I did some filler tests today and got a real education. I've been steering away from filler in the last year or so, but from now on I'm a believer in filler. I'll post my findings at a later date. I think I'll try another load of IMR 4198 with filler, but at a velocity of around 1,420 fps. I'm really curious to see how it will perform. In the meantime, I'm planning to order a mould for a GC bullet. As Suo Gan mentions, 275 grains may be too heavy to stabilize, as Winchester seemed to find out with a 1:26 twist rate. I'm thinking of a 255 to 260 grain bullet. That way, I can use it in my 38-55 and I can speed it up a bit for my 38-72. I've been needing a 38-55 GC bullet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    ....... I did some filler tests today and got a real education. I've been steering away from filler in the last year or so, but from now on I'm a believer in filler.........
    Glad to hear. In the several instances, that I have use PSB (oversized barrels, pitted, corroded barrels) the results have always been good.

The early smokeless loading was 25 grs of DuPont No 1 bulk smokeless which has a similar burning rate to 4198.... at least in the 32-40 with a 165 gr bullet (17 grs DuPont No 1 = 1450 fps / 17 grs 4198 = 1460 fps).

It will be interesting to see how your 4198 / PSB testing goes.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    1-26" was the same twist Winchester used in the 38-90 Express. The boolit for that cartridge was 217gr.

AA5744 might be a powder to try as its higher nitro content is what is supposed to make it less position sensitive.

Shorter length boolits are the likely answer. If the boolit is just barely stable enough to make round holes in paper, it probably isn't gonna remain stable while penetrating game. I would suggest the Lyman 375248 or the similar boolit from a Winchester 38-55 mold. I have NEI RN in plainbase 195gr and GC at 210gr that should work in that twist.

Boolit Master
    John, if you have taken apart any 38-72 cartridges with early smokeless powder, was there some sort of filler inside?

excess650, interesting info about the 38-90 having a mere 217 grain bullet. I'd never heard of the 38-90 before. I have tried 5744, but it doesn't bump up the bullets for the same velocity quite as well as 2400. The burn rate of 5744 is a bit slower.

Kirk,
    The jacketed rounds containing Sharpshooter did not have any filler nor did the one with 25 grs of DuPont No 1 bulk smokeless which pretty much filled the case capacity. 25 grs of 4198 + PSB should be close to duplicating the DuPont No 1 bulk smokeless early factory capacity load.

In 1910, Winchester updated their velocities and show the 38-72 at 1,476 f.p.s. That is because earlier velocities were taken at 50 feet from the muzzle and beginning in 1910 they corrected them to muzzle velocity.

"Sharpshooter" was designed by Laflin & Rand as a dense powder to be used in b.p. cartridges, leaving plenty of airspace.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 09-30-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I shoot a Marlin 38-55 and have two molds for that cal. a Lyman 357248 and a Houch nose pour that cast a 265gr RNFP both molds drop boolit at .380-381 in a 50/50 WW/Lead mix.
    Your welcome to samples if you want some.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    John, that is very informative; I didn't know that Winchester did their early chronographing 75 feet from the muzzle. That has implications for that 1895 ballistics table I have in their catalogue, for other cartridges!

Calamity Jake, thank you very much for that offer. That Houch bullet would give me a chance to see how stable a 265 grain bullet is at 1,425 fps. I don't think I could drive it at 1,475 fps given that it will be pretty soft. I'll pm you with my address.

Greenhill Formula

Kirk,
    The Greenhill Formula for minimum rifling twist for stabilization indicates that for a .38 bore with a 1 in 26 twist, the max bullet length would be .85" long.

While the Greenhill formula would get one close, it is not a positive equation in all instances.

For example, I have found that I can stabilize a bullet that is .96" long in the 1/38 twist of my 45 Colt Marlin...but...the mv has to be 1,400 f.p.s. to do so.

Based on that, (Greenhill value of 170 instead of 150), the max bullet length in the 38/26 would be .95".... or thereabouts.

Food for thought anyway.......

It would be interesting to trim the nose of those cast bullets back to an OAL of .95" and see what happens......

CORRECTION: Velocities were taken at 50 feet instead of the 75 feet (corrected post) I indicated. I was going from memory..........
    Beginning in the 1905 Winchester catalog and up until 1909, the notation "taken at 50' " was added to the ballistics table.
    The velocities shown match the ones in the 1896 catalog. Then, in 1910, the velocities were changed to show the true muzzle velocities.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 09-30-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Stunning rifle! What bullet is the one loaded in the 30-30 case? Also that "Sharpshooter" powder looks a lot like Trailboss.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast