RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy prices ?

Crazy prices ?

I frequently look on gunbroker for what guns are going for and the price of JM Marlins has really gone crazy lately. There is a plain Jane M 336 in 30-30 that is listed as used but possibly un fired with over 3 days to go and it’s at $ 3525.00 !
    Is that not crazy or is there anyone who thinks that is a fair price ?
    Item # 925161550

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-03-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Nope, sellers and buyers have all lost their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Boolit Buddy
    I just sold a jm 336 in 35 rem recently for 550.00 and 100pcs of 444marlin brass. I think it was a fair deal.

I understand.

Years ago, I fell into a 336 JM in .30-30.
    A guy had bought it for a hunting trip.
    He never fired it, but he did put it back in a soft case-- snow and all.
    It sat in the closet for a few years until he passed away and his widow wanted it and his other guns out of the house.
    I bought it with a few other rifles from the guy in charge of selling off his 'guy stuff'.

I cleaned it up at least as well as Bubba could have.
    About 5 years ago, and friend wanted it.
    I told him to name his price. He was unsure, so I offered to give it to him, but he insisted $200.
    I thought it was about half crazy, but that's what he offered.
    I did get him to take a box of shells to go with it at that price.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-03-2022 at 10:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like the high bidder has a NR rating. Plus a bunch of other bidders with NR. Doubt the item will get paid for.

Moderator Emeritus

Look at Marlin Owners. I can't believe the prices they are getting. From the latest offerings, I think folks are slowly becoming more realistic on what they should go for.

Boolit Master

Was at a gun show last year and saw a Marling 1897 with a price tag of $3,500 and thought something was wrong and then down a few tables there was another one with the tag at $3,200. I had just picked one up for $200 in trade. All three were in the same condition.

Boolit Master
    ive got my eye on an 1894 357 barrel, if I can get it I'm thinking of converting one of my 44 mags to 357-44 Bain and Davis
    ive got a pair of 35 rem texans and would not let the nice looking one go for less than $850
    I'm guessing that like new 39a's are at $1000 or so these days but $3000+ for a 336 is something I never imagined.

Boolit Master
    Had a guy willing to sell me a 30-30 for 400 dollars. Next thing I know the gun shop owner is telling me I was going to rip him off. Said on gunbroker they are going for over 3k. Needless to say I did not buy the gun. Gun still sits on the wall at the shop. It's on its 5 or 6 time being relisted on GB. Shop owner asked me why is it not seeling? I told him better question is why I am still shopping here! This was around the new year.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Over the years I've seen some crazy sales and asking prices on various firearms. I know what I'm willing to pay for an item, and the least amount I'll take for one. I've often wondered if the 'NR' bids are shills. For those who don't have a Gunbroker account, that means the bidder or seller has no feedback rating with Gunbroker. In my little neck of the woods, we don't have many shops. Nearly all are Gun & PAWN shops. I'm pretty sure all but a couple of them survive off the pawn shop part of the business. For the most part, the local shop owners are in line with their prices.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Moderator Emeritus

Yep, the JM Marlins are in the high zone right now...and they ain't makin them anymore.

Funny thing is, I prefer the Henry...but their prices are "movin on up" too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I bought a 35 Remington last month for a project I am doing. It was a 1973 vintage and in very good shape. I paid $700 and thought I paid too much, but I didn’t want to wait any longer as I had been searching for over a year.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I frequently look on gunbroker for what guns are going for and the price of JM Marlins has really gone crazy lately. There is a plain Jane M 336 in 30-30 that is listed as used but possibly un fired with over 3 days to go and it’s at $ 3525.00 !
    Is that not crazy or is there anyone who thinks that is a fair price ?
    Item # 925161550

Jedman
    A decade or so back I was on Long Island, NY, and walked into a gun shop just to check it out -- no intent on purchasing anything. In a corner rack, hanging, was the cutest little single-shot .22 I'd yet to see. It turned out to be a Marlin Model 15YN single-shot, 1983 manufacture, monikered the “Little Buckaroo” . In pretty pristine shape, it was far from a "quick" purchase as tag on it was $500.00 and seller would not budge a penny! Smart -- or stupid -- I laid out the cash and it followed me to my truck... I had a few regrets/questions laying out that much moola for "a single shot .22" -- until I went to a huge gun show, a few years later, where I asked to look at one just like mine. Seller advised he had just sold it -- buyer went home to get $$$, but if I gave name, etc., I perhaps would be 2nd in line. The selling price? Dealer confided he had a tag price of $1,280.00 on it, but took an even eleven hundred dollars (plus tax). (This was about five years back) I got home, opened the safe, and took out my "Little Buckaroo"... I smiled!
    'Specially any firearms not in present production -- prices surely are not going to go down!
    The only weird-one, albeit understandable, is when Winchester ceased operation -- I should've sold my model 94 ... prices escalated to not seeing one in any shave for less than $700 - $800. However, through the years, prices have come down. A dealer/friend at club suggests the "young, new shooters just want ARs -- they have zero interest in levers." Maybe?
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Murphy, our "Gun& Pawn shops seem to be holding the line.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    I'm with Murphy, our "Gun& Pawn shops seem to be holding the line..
    Ours around here are too.
    Whatever they've got on the shelf is priced at what I'd call 'reasonable'.

Not too many double throw down bargains with a brother in law discount- but reasonable.

Things still in production and 'gently used' are a bit less than the new retail price,
    and they'll deal a little, or even hold it for you on 'lay away'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Looks like the high bidder has a NR rating. Plus a bunch of other bidders with NR. Doubt the item will get paid for.
    Exactly.

I must be �� dreaming ! I got a email because I put this rifle on my watch list and with 3 + hours to go the bid is over $ 10000 ! And some of the bidders are rated bidders.

Jedman

Insanity

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220306-213437_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	297260
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I searched "Marlin 336" on GB yesterday and prices were inflated but not outrageous. Mebbe GB has pruned away the ridiculous or questionable listings.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    i collected the marlin cowboy rifles when they could be had at decent prices and as i had two rifles in 44-40 i decided to sell one i had fired,but in like new condition with the box-papers. i ask 1000.00 and the third man who looked at it bought it and wanted to buy any other cowboys i wanted to sell. to tease him i said may sell my cowboy in .32 H&R mag in the future, he gave me his phone number and said he would pay more for it.