Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Force for a college grad

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I went Navy and I like the water and fishing. Did not always work out as well as i planned though.
    Used to know a guy who joined the Marine Corps to be a Grunt. Because as a kid, he liked going camping.
    It didn't work out quite like he planned either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When I was in the Army Guard, I slept in GP medium tents, along with 9 other guys, during annual training. Then i transferred to the Air Guard. We stayed in hotels for annual training, 2 men per a/c room. We received per diem money, too. Ate at a different restaurant almost every night.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Then i transferred to the Air Guard. We stayed in hotels for annual training, .
    I had a buddy in the AF back in the 60s that said he was going to be stationed at one of the Air Force's front line bases
    in Viet Nam after they got done building the base swimming pool, movie theatre, and PX.

We drifted apart, the war was winding down by then, I lost contact with him not too long after that,
    and I was never really sure if he was joking or not.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    OP, good on your daughter for wanting to join. By all means, with her bachelors, ensure she goes after a commission. I served over 38 years, both in the Marines and Air Force. Most of the time was Reserve. The biggest thing I'll say is to check what career fields are available and consider the commitment.
    How is her physical fitness and discipline? Even though the AF is "weak" on PT, there are standards that have to be met. And is she OK with being sent "somewhere" not of her choosing?

Feel free to reach out to me, if needed.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Very much depends on the individual as to what is the best fit for them, if any military service. It’s a big decision especially at that age. There may be programs where the military would pay for graduate school in turn for service after completion.

Boolit Master
    It's always better to be an officer in the military. Less chance of having to shovel manure. Or clean the latrine. Ya ain't even got to clean your own barracks. And ya make mo' money.

The Military is a perfectly honorable profession.
    My late father (25 year full bird Colonel - Army) always said that if I join the Military I do so under ONE condition....that I am an Officer.
    With her bachelor's degree, she can go in as an Officer. Make sure she does that.
    I'm not sure which service is the best.
    I enlisted in 1967 for Infantry - but got rejected - blind in one eye and flat feet - so I can't say which service is the best one way or the other.
    Have her look at the benefits and take advantage of them as much as she can.
    She should get her MBA courtesy of Uncle Sam. Work her way up the ladder.
    20 and out? Maybe. 30 and out? Maybe
    But retired at 47 or 57 sounds good to me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    My son just left the AF after 8 years (Captain). He's going into the Air Guard. Deployments can be tough if you have a family (twice). They treat the officers well. I would have liked to go on a ride-along but...
    Last edited by Battis; 02-16-2022 at 08:59 AM.

I will second (or fourth or fifth) the recommendation to get a commission. My first three year enlistment in the army, I served as an enlisted medic. In the seventies, one was required to say you hated the army; still had some draftees then. After I got out and graduated from college, I joined the CA Army National Guard. Then I had an opportunity to go to state Officer Candidate School. I was actually enjoying the experience so much, I stayed in for twenty, and retired out of the reserve component.

Things she can get out of her military experience: Everyone is a trainer, and she will become quite proficient at it. Everyone is a leader, which seems to be something employers still want. She will most certainly learn a lot about logistics, engineering, aviation, and process planning.

A few years ago, the daughter of a close friend came to me for advice about career options. She was a young person, rather adrift after not doing well in college and not finding a job right away. I told her to talk to every military recruiter, and see which one would make the best offer. A couple of weeks later she called and said the Navy had offered her, after basic training, a one year course at a civilian school to become an operating room technician in return for a six year hitch in the Navy Reserve. She took the offer, and it literally changed her life.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

A few years ago when my son asked me about the National Guard as a source for financial assistance completing college, I told him that I didn't trust our nation's leaders. He opted not to join. I was one of the last draftees and finished my career with the Army Reserve. It was what bought our house and now I have the retirement. The medical insurance value is about half of the monthly income.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!